what is the "Tempest_Sam_1.1.syx" FIle ???

KoSv

what is the "Tempest_Sam_1.1.syx" FIle ???
« on: February 22, 2019, 08:16:12 AM »
?
Classical piano drilled.
Jazz disillusioned.
Technoid.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
Re: what is the "Tempest_Sam_1.1.syx" FIle ???
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2019, 11:00:16 AM »
Where did you see this file?  :)
If you need me, follow the shadows...

KoSv

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2019, 12:55:21 PM »
Where did you see this file?  :)

when you download the official tempest os , it's in the folder along with the other files like Voice.syx or main.syx..
Classical piano drilled.
Jazz disillusioned.
Technoid.

KoSv

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2019, 12:16:57 AM »
nobody knows?
Classical piano drilled.
Jazz disillusioned.
Technoid.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2019, 01:19:17 AM »
I assume it's a separate OS for controlling the SAM chip... it's installed on my Tempest, and it does not fix anything related to the samples in any way, so it probably does not matter.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 01:26:02 AM by Razmo »

KoSv

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2019, 03:18:05 AM »
so it is a Sequential access memory IC?
but normally you don't need an OS for such a chip. memory chips are controlled/interfaced via the Main Processor..
Or is "SAM" something else.
besides.. one reason to use sequential access memory is for sample storage..
hm..
???

I assume it's a separate OS for controlling the SAM chip... it's installed on my Tempest, and it does not fix anything related to the samples in any way, so it probably does not matter.
Classical piano drilled.
Jazz disillusioned.
Technoid.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2019, 06:27:56 AM »
but normally you don't need an OS for such a chip. memory chips are controlled/interfaced via the Main Processor..
hm..
???

No... SAM is a third party sample playing chip that DSI chose as the sample part of Tempest... it holds a certain amount of Flash RAM for samples, and can be connected to extra flash memory for more memory as far as I've read it's datasheet... and it is this chip that obviously is causing problems reflashing the memory in it with new samples.

But this chip must be controlled by something, and I bet that is what the SAM OS file is for somehow... but only Sequential can tell you that for certain :)

KoSv

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2019, 08:24:15 AM »
you have the datasheet of that chip? can you point me to it?

hm..
???

No... SAM is a third party sample playing chip that DSI chose as the sample part of Tempest... it holds a certain amount of Flash RAM for samples, and can be connected to extra flash memory for more memory as far as I've read it's datasheet... and it is this chip that obviously is causing problems reflashing the memory in it with new samples.

But this chip must be controlled by something, and I bet that is what the SAM OS file is for somehow... but only Sequential can tell you that for certain :)
Classical piano drilled.
Jazz disillusioned.
Technoid.

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2019, 08:41:44 AM »
Tempest uses Sharc DSP Processor and it’s OS is written in C as i recall:

https://www.analog.com/en/products/audio-video/audio-signal-processors/sharc.html
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 08:44:16 AM by Yorgos Arabatzis »

KoSv

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2019, 10:58:16 AM »
ok. but for what is the SAM.syx?
the others:
MAIN -> (I assume that the main OS code goes there, File system, IO management (MIDI,SYSEX etc..)),
PANEL-> (probably a View/Controller chip that cares only for user interaction, LCD. etc),
VOICE-> ( probably a IC that handles the voice allocation, calibration, everything that is Voltage controlled ),
so wtf is SAM??? :)

does anybody have an inside hi-res picture of the Tempest?

are the dsi/sequential guys actually from time to time here and read some of the forum questions?

Tempest uses Sharc DSP Processor and it’s OS is written in C as i recall:

https://www.analog.com/en/products/audio-video/audio-signal-processors/sharc.html
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 11:12:33 AM by van »
Classical piano drilled.
Jazz disillusioned.
Technoid.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2019, 11:40:49 AM »
Tempest has many processors, that is why there are so many separate files to install... yes, it use SHARC but SAM is actually doing it's own code on chip and can be programmed some way as it also has onboard compression playback features etc... this is probably why flashing the samples was problematic, as I read PYM talk about having to do assembly language coding to do it... so it has nothing to do with the SHARC processor I think... the SAM chip obviously have to be flashed not only with the samples, but also some assembly code to change the samples.

If this SAM syx file is uploaded to the SAM chip itself, or it is for whatever is controlling it I do not know... but I asume it's a separate processor that controls it, otherwise why would they need that many OS files uploaded if everything was controlled from just one SHARC processor?

Anyway... as I already said; the 1.1 SAM OS is allready installed in my Tempest, and it does nothing for the faulty FLASH samples in the SAM chip unfortunately.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2019, 11:44:56 AM »
In most DSI synths, the MAIN CPU is (as far as I know) a PIC microprocessor that handles MIDI and stuff... The VOICE CPU is usually what controls the Curtis chip, and there is usually one CPU per one or two voices... the panel CPU is clearly what controls the display and all the buttons and knobs. So the SAM file may be code for the SAM chip itself maybe... or what ever is controlling it.

KoSv

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2019, 01:21:12 PM »
In most DSI synths, the MAIN CPU is (as far as I know) a PIC microprocessor that handles MIDI and stuff... The VOICE CPU is usually what controls the Curtis chip, and there is usually one CPU per one or two voices... the panel CPU is clearly what controls the display and all the buttons and knobs. So the SAM file may be code for the SAM chip itself maybe... or what ever is controlling it.

ok.. so this is exactly what I said..
but what and what for is the SAM chip -> ???
and why an DSP chip in an entirely analog synth? (besides the digital samples, noise/ random included that is easy done with an 8MHz(probably little bit more because of the sequencer) PIC and fast memory access..)

do I really have to open my unit and see what's inside? nobody done this before??
Classical piano drilled.
Jazz disillusioned.
Technoid.

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2019, 04:00:20 PM »
Here you go mate ;)
http://www.beigemaze.com/dsiforum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=36&sid=e8128da30c05918593c2ac453e27c6ee
do I really have to open my unit and see what's inside? nobody done this before??

KoSv

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2019, 02:20:31 AM »
Classical piano drilled.
Jazz disillusioned.
Technoid.