Higher Register Volume Control Prophet 08

Higher Register Volume Control Prophet 08
« on: February 19, 2019, 07:20:54 PM »
Hi, I am relatively new to the DSI world.. I am working on some warm pad sounds and the lower to mid register is very loud and apparent, but when i play in the higher register the sound is over powered by the lower register. Does anyone have any tips on how to raise the volume of the higher notes while still maintaining the original sound i created?

Sacred Synthesis

Re: Higher Register Volume Control Prophet 08
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2019, 07:28:14 PM »
One method of increasing the "volume" of the higher notes is to increase the Filter Key Amount.  This will open the filter as you ascend the keyboard, so that the lower notes will be darker and the higher notes brighter.

panic

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2019, 02:02:40 AM »
The way sacred synthesis presents would be the most common, although, as he already states, it will impact the sound to some extent. The other option would be to route note number as modulation source to amp envelope amount, play with both the settings of the envelope amount (for example, if your amp env amount is already at a high number, you will barely hear any effect) and the note number modulation amount until you find the equilibrium you desire.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2019, 08:46:04 AM »
Yes, that's probably a better idea.  An amount of Filter Key Amount is best for emphasizing the highs while subduing the lows.  But I wondered if that might be the problem with CK's present patch.  Perhaps a mixture of the two techniques would work best.

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2019, 03:19:51 PM »
Thank you both for the response, the adjusting the filter seems to work the best, but does change the sound a little more than I’d like.

“The other option would be to route note number as modulation source to amp envelope amount”

Can either of you go In detail a little more about how I can do this, I am still new to this and this thing can be a beast to figure out.. any additional help on this would be greatly appreciated..

Many thanks again.

panic

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2019, 03:15:35 AM »
- look to your control panel, find the section labelled "modulators"
- select the number of the modulation slot you want to use (you have four of them, the numbered buttons)
- turn the knob "mod source" until display says "keynumber"
- turn the knob "mod destination" until dispaly says "env 2 amt"
- turn the knob "mod amount" to set the strenght of the effect. With negative values, the sound will become more silent as you go higher on the keyboard, postitive values will make it louder. The higher the 'abolute' value, the bigger the volume jumps between the notes will be. As said, if necesary, adjust the setting for envelope 2. Different modulation sources add to each other, and cannot go above 100% (meaning, if you already turned env 2 (the amp envelope) amount to a high volume, you will not be able to add much "keynumber" tot reach 100% volume.

I hate to be the guy saying it, but with a synth like this I strongly advice you to read the manual. It is well written and easy to understand. To me, modulation is really what the P8 is all about, good to understand what you can do with the big amount of mod sources.