Output Bug with Rev2, 16 voices

Output Bug with Rev2, 16 voices
« on: February 18, 2019, 03:23:31 PM »
I run my rev2 (16 voices) in a setup that uses both outputs. Normally, Layer A is routed to Output A, Layer B to Output B.
I noticed that when choosing a program that only uses layer A, the sound is alternately played over both physical outputs: the first 8 voices over layer A, the voices 9-16 over output B.

I think that this behavior is a serious bug. It's certainly not desirable to have to pull cables before playing programs with different number of layers. Maybe this problem only occurs in the sixteen-voice version? Anyone with the same problem?

Djinn

Re: Output Bug with Rev2, 16 voices
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2019, 10:02:21 PM »
Hi there iv got an 8 voice and I'm pretty sure it does the same except its 4 voices on A then 4 voices on B and yes it is annoying

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2019, 01:43:22 AM »
I have the 8-voice version and if I connect cables to the B-output, every second note are not heard when I repeadly hit one key and I only use one layer. So I think the voices are cycled through.

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2019, 01:48:20 AM »
...one advantage is when using the pan spread feature because the notes will be spread even on left and right side if you play one note at the time.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2019, 02:35:51 AM »
This is expected behavior I'm afraid... you have to see the REV2 as TWO hardwired 4/8-voice synths, that each are hardwired to their own stereo output... when you use the REV2 in 16 voice mode, you are basically polychaining the two synths, so it works exactly like with two polychained Prophet 08s... each has their own output, and to get it working the way you want it to, you have to use a mixer to join the two outputs... this is exactly what the REV2 does, when nothing is plugged into the B outputs... there are plug-sensors in the output sockets that breaks the mixing of output B into Output A when it senses plugs in the B outputs... this is a hardware mechanism... not software, so there is no way you can fix this, and as such it is not a bug, but rather a hardware design restraint.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 02:38:25 AM by Razmo »
If you need me, follow the shadows...

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2019, 07:43:32 AM »
This is expected behavior I'm afraid... you have to see the REV2 as TWO hardwired 4/8-voice synths, that each are hardwired to their own stereo output... when you use the REV2 in 16 voice mode, you are basically polychaining the two synths, so it works exactly like with two polychained Prophet 08s... each has their own output, and to get it working the way you want it to, you have to use a mixer to join the two outputs... this is exactly what the REV2 does, when nothing is plugged into the B outputs... there are plug-sensors in the output sockets that breaks the mixing of output B into Output A when it senses plugs in the B outputs... this is a hardware mechanism... not software, so there is no way you can fix this, and as such it is not a bug, but rather a hardware design restraint.

You have explained this very well, and also earlier. I had issues with this behaviour too at the beginning. I was assuming I could use the REV2 as a dual timbral synth with 2 independent layers. This is not completely the case. Maybe things improved with current firmware.

Now I'm using the REV2 with only the A outputs. And I use it as 1 synth with layered or split setup. I assume that is the way it was designed.

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2019, 08:28:03 AM »
Thank you all for your answers. I've sent a support ticket to sequential and also mentioned other points that are discussed in the forum - let's see what sequential says.

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2019, 03:45:26 PM »
I struggled with this issue a lot too. Most of the time, I use layer A for bass and B for lead sound in my band, so I send A to a bass speaker and B to a lead speaker. It is extremely annoying that the routing of both layers to the outputs is different depending on whether only one or two layers are active. Even more confusing is that the behavior is not the same for a program with only layer A and only layer B.

The somewhat good news is that you can achieve different behaviors with different plugging constellations. I still do not really get the logic, but I will post an overview once I have recorded all combinations.

(sorry for digging up this old thread, by the way. I refer also to an older thread about this issue: https://forum.sequential.com/index.php/topic,2735.msg29882.html#msg29882)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 04:07:38 PM by skipgilles »

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2019, 04:08:58 PM »
It's not that complicated:

You have two synths inside... each having either 4 or 8 voices depending on what version you have of the REV2.
Layer A is basically synth 1... and it is hardwired to output A.
Layer B is basically synth 2... and it is hardwired to output B.

BUT... if nothing is plugged into output B, then output B is mixed internally in hardware with the output A (this cannot be changed in software).

That's it... there is not more to it than that.

What seems to confuse people are the fact that "Layer A" playing mode (16 voice mode) is labelled exactly like that ("Layer A")... that makes people think that playing mode "Layer A" will ALWAYS come out of output A...

but that's just not the case... in 16 voice mode it alternates between playing a voice on synth 1, then synth 2, then synth 1 etc... that is why you hear it bounce from output A to B like that... it needs to do this, otherwise you cannot get to play with 16 voices in the "Layer A" playing mode.

What you need to understand is, that the playing mode labeled "Layer A" is in no way referring to a specific output.. .it's referring to the preset's data for layer A...

What really happens "behind the scenes" is that whatever sound is programmed in Layer A when you use 16 voice mode, is actually copied to both synth1 and 2 internally, so that both synths inside have the same sound configured in them... you just do not see this, it's happening behind the scenes.... it's basically two synths playing the same preset (in this case both are playing the data from layer A), each taking a turn at playing a voice alternately to achieve 16 voices of playing.... thus, if you have anything connected to output B, anything that synth 2 is playing will come out of output B.

Hope that clarifies it :)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 04:17:30 PM by Razmo »

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2019, 04:20:14 PM »
After posting my response, I read some more on the forum, including many of your posts. So nice that you take the time to explain this, Razmo. I think I follow you, but still have to get my head around it so that I can have an intuitive sense of what's going to happen when I connect my synth to multiple outputs. I still have to think a bit whether this also explains why in some setting with two cables (one in A, one in B), one layer is sometimes routed to both outputs.

Oh, and I agree very much with Billy's rant in the older thread about the manual being terribly unclear about this.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2019, 04:33:45 PM »
After posting my response, I read some more on the forum, including many of your posts. So nice that you take the time to explain this, Razmo. I think I follow you, but still have to get my head around it so that I can have an intuitive sense of what's going to happen when I connect my synth to multiple outputs. I still have to think a bit whether this also explains why in some setting with two cables (one in A, one in B), one layer is sometimes routed to both outputs.

Oh, and I agree very much with Billy's rant in the older thread about the manual being terribly unclear about this.

i can surely understand why anyone could get confused about this... I can say it this way:

You WILL have to change the cabling if you intend on using your REV2 with it's B output... this is because of the way the REV2 is hardwired internally. If you use ONLY output A, you will not have any problems what so ever.

If you use presets that use ether split or layered mode, then you can rest assured that anything playing on Layer A comes out of the A output, and anything playing on Layer B will come out of the B output.

The problem arise when you also want to use the single 16 voice playing mode... this voice mode is only good if you have nothing plugged into the B outputs because at the moment you plug something into output B, then you will get this bouncing effect between output A and B.... a rule of thumb would be that you always disconnect what's in output B when you want to play a preset that use 16 voices...

If you want to have both outputs connected to an external mixer all the time because you want to make individual processing of the REV2 outputs in stacked and split modes, you can do this easily... but if you want to use 16 voice playing mode like this too, you just have to set both stereo channels on your mixer to the exact same settings, then your mixer will do the mixing instead of the REV2 (REV2 mixes both outputs to output A if nothing is plugged into output B).

There is no way you will be able to have both outputs connected to your mixer, and then have 16 voice playing mode appear on only one stereo channel on your external mixer... not unless you disconnect output B when you want to use a preset that use 16 voice playing mode.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 04:36:54 PM by Razmo »

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2019, 03:52:28 AM »
Thank you for all your replies.
The answer from Sequential was clear: This is the correct behavior of the instrument. Whenever you have the B outputs plugged in they will split the voices of the instrument.

For playing single layer sounds, I use a workaround with a „silent split“ in a extrem high/low octave, that is always active.
But again: it’s a pitty to not use the full 16-voice power in one patch.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 03:57:02 AM by Kasimir Effekt »