Behringer Prophet 5?

Sleep of Reason

Re: Behringer Prophet 5?
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2019, 03:05:35 PM »
I too would rather have a P6 than a P5.

However, this whole, "the companies who actually made these products weren't doing anything with what they created, so props to another company that will" notion is flat out absurd. Also there's a world of difference between taking influence from and doing a cheap knock off of. China, for instance, has a long standing (bad) practice of the latter.

LoboLives

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2019, 04:14:52 PM »
I too would rather have a P6 than a P5.

However, this whole, "the companies who actually made these products weren't doing anything with what they created, so props to another company that will" notion is flat out absurd. Also there's a world of difference between taking influence from and doing a cheap knock off of. China, for instance, has a long standing (bad) practice of the latter.

Electro Harmonix just won a lawsuit against Moor Pedals for this.

« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2019, 09:11:38 PM »
Oh wow. I didn't know about the Mooer/EHX thing. I have an EHX pedal and appreciate and respect them as a company and yet I just bought a Mooer Eleclady knowing it was a clone and didn't think twice about it. But then on the other hand have also refused to support Behringer thus far.

It feels complicated and I don't yet have a fully rational, consistent stance on this stuff. I think a lot of it comes down to respect and attitude.

LoboLives

« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2019, 11:07:22 PM »
Oh wow. I didn't know about the Mooer/EHX thing. I have an EHX pedal and appreciate and respect them as a company and yet I just bought a Mooer Eleclady knowing it was a clone and didn't think twice about it. But then on the other hand have also refused to support Behringer thus far.

It feels complicated and I don't yet have a fully rational, consistent stance on this stuff. I think a lot of it comes down to respect and attitude.

The EHX thing is a bit odd seeing as how they themselves make pedals that are essentially clones of Klons, Maestro Fuzzes, etc. What's more odd is the case was actually brought to the attention and settled in a Chinese court.

blewis

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2019, 07:22:17 AM »
I believe they found _exact_ copies of EHX code in the Moorer pedals. Like literal theft of code.

There isn’t any grey area here guys or moral ambiguity, Moorer even copied the EHX copyright text embedded in their code!

http://metaladdicts.com/site/electro-harmonix-won-copyright-case-against-moorer/

Kja

« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2019, 05:32:55 AM »
I think the problem is more that not then cloning stuff but how they do it, if they just gave a not and a wink to those that came before them and paved the way I think there would not be near as much hate.. they really have not been the most respectful as far as their marketing. That's what seems to really bother some.

Kja

« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2019, 05:36:56 AM »
I hope I don't get sued for saying that... Please don't sure me beringer, I'm just a poor guy and I really don't have anything against you, I'm just saying what it seems like as a impartial bystander.. :-X

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2019, 08:13:42 AM »
Please don't sure me, Beringer, I'm just a poor guy and....

AAAAAH-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA.... >:(

« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2019, 03:53:49 PM »
So no... I have no qualms with Behringer in any way... and I may buy their DeepMind someday actually...

I just did!–at $500 USD, there's very little to complain about within reason; the built-in effects are decent and the unit is largely "complete". There are still some niggles as far as the interface is concerned (i.e., deep editing requires some scrolling to select the parameter in question), but the value is good.

And I also bought the Neutron (dual V3340 VCOs); both are inspired-by-but-original designs, so to speak, and fit into the overall scheme reasonably well.

I am waiting to see what Sequential offers up in terms of a deeper analogue design (matrix mod, multiple LFOs, VCOs, etc.) before I pull the trigger on a Prophet 6, though I don't expect Behringer to change my mind in any way, shape or form.

As a postscript, I picked up a new-in-box Prophet-6 earlier this year, and am happy to say that it is everything I expected it to be. It complements the Prophet-12 and Mono Evolver Keyboard quite well.
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2020, 01:35:22 PM »
I think, for example, the Prophet 6 is a better synth than the Prophet 5 was --

On paper, yes.  And the P6 is no doubt amazing.  But in terms of sound, with the Pro One being my favorite basic tone of all time, the P5 stands next to it over the P6.

I do think my OB-6 competes with vintage Obies for raw tone however; it's only limited compared to some in terms of modulation/synthesis capabilities.  But it is the absolutely perfect instrument for what it was supposed to be.

grantluck

• the futuretive
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2020, 01:45:22 AM »
Dave's 6 voice version of the pro 3 will smash it out of the park anyway so let them make their Chinese impersonations its like someone covering the Beatles. we know they won't last like the Prophet 5 they just brought to copy.

S Y Z Y G Y X

• WWW.SYZYGYXMUSIC.COM
    • S Y Z Y G Y X
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2020, 03:53:34 PM »
I’d just like to chime in here and say the only Behringer I’d like to purchase is the MonoPoly...hell, I’m so far up Sequential’s bumhole they’re the only synthesizers I’ve been buying for the past 2 years.  Bought a Pro 3 in March, adore it...bought a 2nd hand Prophet 12 Keyboard, adore it to death...now I’m deciding between a OB6 or Prophet 6 and believe for my taste I’ll go with the Prophet 6.  Something about DSI/Sequential products interface that I just gel with and invites inspiration unlike any other synths.  The sound, quality and price is just right.  Waiting for the next announcement with zero patience 😬
SEQUENTIAL Pro 3, DSI Prophet 12, DSI Prophet Rev2-8, Moog Subsequent 37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Novation Bass Station 2, BOSS VE500, MOTU Micro Lite, AKAI APC240 MKII, SSL Fusion, UAD Apollo X6, MacBook Pro 2017, ADAM A7X Monitors, Logic X
www.syzygyxmusic.com
https://syzygy-x.bandcamp.com

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2020, 06:09:51 PM »
Something about DSI/Sequential products interface that I just gel with and invites inspiration unlike any other synths.  The sound, quality and price is just right.

Yes, I've felt the same way for years.

LoboLives

« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2020, 06:42:50 PM »
I’d just like to chime in here and say the only Behringer I’d like to purchase is the MonoPoly...hell, I’m so far up Sequential’s bumhole they’re the only synthesizers I’ve been buying for the past 2 years.  Bought a Pro 3 in March, adore it...bought a 2nd hand Prophet 12 Keyboard, adore it to death...now I’m deciding between a OB6 or Prophet 6 and believe for my taste I’ll go with the Prophet 6.  Something about DSI/Sequential products interface that I just gel with and invites inspiration unlike any other synths.  The sound, quality and price is just right.  Waiting for the next announcement with zero patience 😬

I feel the same way. To be honest I was thinking about my setup recently and thought that my entire setup could be made up of Sequential’s catalog and literally almost all my synthesis basis would be covered: mono synth (Pro 3), samples (Prophet X), analog VCO (Prophet 6), drum machine (Tempest), all I’m missing is an FM and Wavetable poly.....but perhaps (and hopefully) we will see that next.

Although looking at gear setups from some of my synth heroes which often had multiple brands (Sequential, Moog, Oberhiem, Emu, Roland, Yamaha, Korg etc)  it would feel awkward to have a complete Sequential lineup...but sometimes you just got to go with the best.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 07:05:13 PM by LoboLives »