The keyboard of the prophet rev2, is there a keyboard FATAR tp / 9 ?

hello... ;) The question is in the subject  :D
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 12:43:31 AM by lcbzh29 »

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
Re: The keyboard of the prophet rev2, is there a keyboard FATAR tp / 9 ?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2019, 12:51:02 AM »
Yes... TP/9S as far as I know
If you need me, follow the shadows...

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2019, 01:06:38 AM »
Thank you razmo .... because on this forum he speaks of a Chinese keyboard

I like the touch of the keyboard rev2 and I'm looking for a midi controller with the same touch.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-and-electronic-music-production/1149168-ultimate-keybed-thread-models-manufacturers-listed-3.html

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2019, 01:21:31 AM »
Thank you razmo .... because on this forum he speaks of a Chinese keyboard

I like the touch of the keyboard rev2 and I'm looking for a midi controller with the same touch.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-and-electronic-music-production/1149168-ultimate-keybed-thread-models-manufacturers-listed-3.html

DSI used other keybeds earlier... I think they started using the TP/9S in the Prophet 6 onward which is a great improvement... Evolver, Pro2, Prophet 12 and those before the Prophet 6 had other keybeds.

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2019, 01:56:06 AM »
Thank... :)

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2019, 11:04:36 AM »
The Prophet 08 had a no name Chinese keybed. But it wasn't too bad. I actually preferred it to this Prophet REV2's Fatar, which is too springy and bouncy. Also, the black keys are stiffer than the white. We're very far from the smooth, even, buttery feel of Pratt-Read keys on a Minimoog D.
But I guess this is a very subjective opinion. Like buying a pair of shoes...
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2019, 02:39:29 PM »
I’m pretty sure the TP9/S was use in the Minimoog reissue too. (The One uses the TP8/S.)

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2019, 04:59:13 PM »
I’m pretty sure the TP9/S was use in the Minimoog reissue too. (The One uses the TP8/S.)

I was talking about the original vintage Minimoog D, or course. Unfortunately Pratt-Read don't make keyboards anymore...
Fatar is overrated.
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2019, 10:21:38 AM »

I was talking about the original vintage Minimoog D, or course. Unfortunately Pratt-Read don't make keyboards anymore...
Fatar is overrated.

I’d figured that’s what you meant.

I thought the keys on the D reissue was the nicest I’ve played on a synth.

Mauro

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2019, 10:39:27 AM »
Is a matter of taste, the rev2 keybed is one of the best keyboard I ever  played.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2019, 04:01:52 PM »
Point is; FATAR is the best you can get these days unfortunately... and VERY FEW controller keyboard today use them, they usually have worse keybeds than FATAR... most are (to me) pretty useless, which is why FATAR means so much to a lot of people these days, that want some quality feel... I know of only ONE controller keyboard that has the FATAR and that is the Native Instruments KOMPLETE... the rest is basically shit... i do believe though that Studiologic also use FATAR (I also believe they are a subsidiary of FATAR by the way).

The keyboards I know of that use FATAR with synths are Blofeld Keyboard, All DSI/Sequential ones from P6 onward... there may be a few more but the point is that if you want quality today, you have to get a synth with a FATAR keybed in it or take an older synth... a lot of the 80's 90's keyboard synths have them... Clavia... Ensoniq... E-MU... and then there is the special keybed of older Yamaha synths like E5X, DX etc...

Actually you can often get one of those older keyboard synths cheaper on the used marked, than what you would give for a controller keyboard with inferior keybeds... much of the controlle rmarket hype is around control features of softsynths and pads, sliders etc... a lot of shit i really do not need at all... the most important thing of a controller keyboard SHOULD BE the keybed... but rarely is...

This was also why I chose the REV2 keyboard... simply because of the KeyBed... otherwise I would have gotten the module version, but I did want a good quality KeyBed to control all my synths with... at some point I will trade the REV2 keyboard for a Waldorf Quantum, but only because the Quantum has TP/8S... which is slightly better than TP/9S
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 04:04:42 PM by Razmo »

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2019, 09:25:19 PM »
Are there different variations on Fatar models?

I have a Rev2 and MFB Dominion 1. According to the list linked below, the Dominion 1 also has a "Fatar TP/9S" that they say is "voll gewichtet" (full-weight). It's pretty different from the Rev2. For synth action keys, they're both great, but while I like the Rev2 keys, I LOVE the Dominion 1 keys.

Either the info is wrong, or TP/9S is just a family of keyboard models and not a specific one.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-and-electronic-music-production/1149168-ultimate-keybed-thread-models-manufacturers-listed.html

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2019, 12:42:15 AM »
Are there different variations on Fatar models?

I have a Rev2 and MFB Dominion 1. According to the list linked below, the Dominion 1 also has a "Fatar TP/9S" that they say is "voll gewichtet" (full-weight). It's pretty different from the Rev2. For synth action keys, they're both great, but while I like the Rev2 keys, I LOVE the Dominion 1 keys.

Either the info is wrong, or TP/9S is just a family of keyboard models and not a specific one.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-and-electronic-music-production/1149168-ultimate-keybed-thread-models-manufacturers-listed.html

I think they are wrong then because the REV2 is TP/9S... the "S" is most likely for "synth keybed"... there is a TP/9 as well if I'm correct, and that is probably the weighted version the Dominion 1 uses...

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2019, 09:48:50 AM »
The "S" indicates that the keys are "semi-weighted".
SEQUENTIAL

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2019, 10:33:42 AM »
Interesting! Thanks for the link. It looks like they're probably both TP/9S with different options, since it comes with a few variations (key count, weight, contacts).

It says the TP/9 is a weighted, piano keyboard (and has flat key fronts if the photos are accurate), so definitely not it :)

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2019, 01:46:59 PM »
DSI used other keybeds earlier... I think they started using the TP/9S in the Prophet 6 onward which is a great improvement... Evolver, Pro2, Prophet 12 and those before the Prophet 6 had other keybeds.

Not entirely correct. All Evolver keyboard models had Fatar keybeds.
SEQUENTIAL | OBERHEIM

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2019, 02:20:29 PM »
Interesting! Thanks for the link. It looks like they're probably both TP/9S with different options, since it comes with a few variations (key count, weight, contacts).

It says the TP/9 is a weighted, piano keyboard (and has flat key fronts if the photos are accurate), so definitely not it :)

I mistakenly deleted it, so here it is again:

http://www.fatar.com/Pages/TP_9S.htm

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2019, 11:55:08 AM »
No. FATAR TP/8SK. 61 Keys