Tempest doesn't record

Tempest doesn't record
« on: February 13, 2019, 12:07:41 PM »
Hello

I just received my Tempest so this is probably a bit of a noobie question.

When I turn "Click" and "REC" on, then hit play, I hear no click being played. The machine also doesn't seem to record the sequence I tap. This is only a newly initialised beat without any modification. Is there something obvious I'm missing here? I updated the machine to latest firmware. The USB cable is plugged into my computer if that makes a difference (tried without it, same result).

Also, there seems to be noise in the audio channel coming from the Tempest, even the "Volume" knob is turned all the way down. Is this a grounding issue or something like that?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Re: Tempest doesn't record
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 02:33:35 PM »
Hi and welcome to the forum ;)
I encourage new users to read this thread from day 1:
https://forum.sequential.com/index.php/topic,78.msg473.html#msg473

It’s the most important thing you can do trust me!
As you updated to the final OS have you calibrated Tempest?Do you have any cables plugged into your voices?
Are you trying to record in 16 Beats mode?Is your Tempest in Midi slave mode?
Have you checked metronome’s volume in system prefs if it’s at it’s max value?Are you having compressor or distortion turned on?If yes that’s where the noise is coming from..
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 02:41:58 PM by Yorgos Arabatzis »

Re: Tempest doesn't record
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 06:00:33 AM »
Hi and welcome to the forum ;)
I encourage new users to read this thread from day 1:
https://forum.sequential.com/index.php/topic,78.msg473.html#msg473

It’s the most important thing you can do trust me!
As you updated to the final OS have you calibrated Tempest?Do you have any cables plugged into your voices?
Are you trying to record in 16 Beats mode?Is your Tempest in Midi slave mode?
Have you checked metronome’s volume in system prefs if it’s at it’s max value?Are you having compressor or distortion turned on?If yes that’s where the noise is coming from..

Hey Yorgos, thanks for your response. I will make sure to read the thread you linked :)

In the meantime, I figured out what caused my problem. I had bought the Tempest used and it seems the previous owner had it already set up as being in MIDI slave mode as you suggested. Changing the MIDI mode to master did the track.

Thanks for the help again