poly mod filter env --> low pass - what is that actually doing?

poly mod filter env --> low pass - what is that actually doing?
« on: February 23, 2016, 12:36:51 PM »
ive been trying to get my head around the polymod section. only just realised that using the filter env all the way up and destination to Freq1 turns the filter envelope into a pitch envelope. Which means you can make pretty amazing sounding kicks (easily as good as some of my drum machines). So  if the freq1 means the filterevelope also becomes a pitch envelope (i imagine simultaneously). what happens when you are routing the low pass back through to the filter env via poly mod?

It sort of sounds like you are overdriving the filter. Just wanted to check if thats the right way to think about it.

Re: poly mod filter env --> low pass - what is that actually doing?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 01:08:26 PM »
I would assume that if you modulate the same polarity twice (e.g. positive envelope amount on the filter's envelope generator + positive filter envelope amount via PolyMod), you get the effect of recursive modulation. If the envelope generator behaved strictly linear, this would make its response exponential (perceived as a somewhat snappier movement from one extreme to the other). However, negative amounts paired with positive amounts seem to neutralize the impact of the envelope generator on its desination (given, you dial in the same value).