Prophet Sundays youtube series

Re: Prophet Sundays youtube series
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2019, 03:07:03 AM »
I admire your spontaneous control, I am much more indecisive and meander towards the end result. Your wavetable vid pretty much summed up my pre FM approach (I come from a DX7 background). I didn't know what 'vector synthesis' was, but using 2 pedals to morph between sounds has pretty much been my early approach - I also use 2 stereo volume pedals to morph between voice A and B. I don't use other gear, just improvise sound textures to match what I play. Your videos inspire me to consider technically what I want to achieve sonically, and to include subtle use of things I normally avoid as too crude. Thanks for the nature and content of these videos.

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2019, 02:31:38 AM »
I appreciate the kind words Chaparral.
 I've read your posts here with great curiosity and admiration in your approach to this instrument.
 Take care.

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2019, 09:08:43 PM »
Thanks for saying so Lobo.

I hope that Dave and Co. do follow up with something in the same vein of synthesis architecture. Up until now I feel the P12 is still one of a kind.
 The only other all-in-one synthesizer on the mainstream market that gets me excited right now is the Waldorf Quantum. Prophet X does sound fantastic, but from a sound designing perspective doesnt really bring much new to the table. I feel the X is a move towards more following the market as opposed to leading the market as Dave has done in the past.
 Obviously just my opinion.

Felt the same.  Started with a Prophet X and sold it after the sample tools were released in a beta state.  Bought a Quantum and haven't looked back.  It is exactly what I wanted the Prophet X to be and a lot more.
Fantom 7 | Moog One | Pro3 | Summit | OB-X8 | Digitakt | Digitone | Syntakt | Iridium KB | 7u x 104hp Eurorack | H9000 | A&H SQ5 Mixer

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2019, 12:04:52 PM »
I'm jealous! I could see a lot of time lost inside of that synthesizer.
 I'm tapped out for new synths for a bit unfortunately though. My current studio upgrade money is going towards not-so-sexy patchbay/cabling. Not sexy but very helpful with workflow.
 I'll have to quantum-synth vicariously through you.
 Cheers!

OceanMachine

« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2019, 02:25:03 PM »
I wanted a Quantum, but couldn't justify the price. It sounds gloriously (that is, in a good way) digital to me and I wouldn't have known the filters are analog (from what I've heard online) if I hadn't read the specs. I would have preferred a cheaper version with wavetables only (with FM capabilities), digital filters only, and more voices. I.e., a knobby updated Blofeld.

Instead I just now purchased a P12 to fill that gap in my repertoire. I needed something glassy/metallic that sits well in the mid range without having to spend time messing with EQ. I had a Montage for a little bit which was full and lush, but found myself preferring the rougher or more characterful/thinner sounds of the DX7. Of course the Montage even has internal EQ and whatnot, but it took up too much space in the mix as is and wasn't as three-dimensional as I'd like. The Curtis filter imo does well with mids and rougher/more old school digital tones. I'm going to be depressed due to my severe impatience if Sequential releases a P12 rev 2 soon, which seems awfully likely all considering. Although if it has the SSI2144, it might be lusher & better if it's your only synth, but lack some of the grit I'm looking for...
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 03:37:05 PM by Ocean Machine »

« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2019, 06:18:30 AM »
I wouldn't worry about DSI completely making the P12 obsolete. They haven't done that, to my knowledge, with any of their other instruments.
 If you enjoy the sounds now, you'll enjoy them regardless if they release a similar synth engine. The P12 will go down as a classic and people will seek it out when there are no more left on the shelves, I'm sure of that.

I'm with you on the price of the quantum. Up here in Ontario, after tax it would be over $6500.00 CND to buy. That's a pretty large expense for a starving musician these days.To be honest though, if my wife wasn't looking, I'd probably find a way to justify the expense.
 Thank the lord above she's watching me!

OceanMachine

« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2019, 08:38:42 AM »
Well the REV2 is def a direct large improvement over the 08, but so far that's been the exception and not the rule. Hopefully it stays that way, though at some point it seems like an inevitable wise business model. Then again the more you make every instrument unique, the more likely people are going to want to own them all.

« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2019, 01:56:03 PM »
Right... I forgot about '08 and rev2.
 I think that's the only time though...

If they play with the engine again in the near future, I'd hope they go in totally new directions.
 Cheers!

« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2019, 06:13:46 AM »
Just put up a new episode. Playing with some FM in this one.
 Let me know if you guys have any tricks or insight into using FM on the P12.
 https://youtu.be/ITHyd2_cPZM

« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2019, 04:32:10 AM »
Good job as usual. I hope you will do more video like this, this synth need some justice. Or maybe is a good thing that the P12 is like the talented guy everybody forgot but keep doing his job when all the others are forgotten.

« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2019, 11:40:58 AM »
I plan to keep doing them as long as people are taking something away from them. By doing them, I'm forcing myself to explore areas of the synth I may not be normally inclined to as well. It's nice to still be surprised by it.
 I appreciate the support!
 Cheers.

« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2019, 01:29:28 PM »
Hey hey,
I just listened to the FM episode. Very good show! I like the confident presentation. Keep them coming, I'm looking forward to a next episode.

« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2019, 04:19:20 AM »
I appreciate the kind words Silvain. You yourself have been a great contributor to the synth community, thanks!
 This sunday, I'll be playing with AM sounds a bit.

« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2019, 10:06:22 AM »
AM? Great, looking forward to this. May I put in a plea? Well, I'm doing it anyway: I'd love to hear you explore additive synthesis. I've experimented with it, but am sure that the technique could be further extended. At some point you have to use the fine tune to get proper harmonics, but in hteory the P12 offers 20 pure sine partials with the oscillators as such. Though with some more design, and AM in parciular, I suppose you might get more. Sorry, speculating away...
Looking forward to Sunday. Best wishes

« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2019, 08:50:27 AM »
Absolutely Silvain.
 I do have one episode where I create an electric piano sound with additive synthesis.
 I will do another episode on additive synthesis but create something more abstract and not tied to real world acoustics.
 Thanks for the idea!

« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2019, 03:06:55 AM »
New episode up! As always, I appreciate you guys helping out on ideas for future exploration.
 Take care, and happy sound designing!

https://youtu.be/DfZWzz3Y4oQ

« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2019, 07:08:28 AM »
I liked the AM episode. That pad was so soft, not my typical approach to AM, I should try a more subtle approach, that's what I have learnt.
Getting on the with backlog, I also very much enjoyed episode 3 (I think: feedback). Again an inspiration to try that beast itself and get into other physical modelling capers. :)
Best wishes and thanks

« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2019, 04:45:17 AM »
I appreciate your feedback Silvain.
 Maybe I should attempt some less subtle sounds on future episodes.
 I find with the P12, it's very easy to go to extremes and when I build my favorite sounds I'm usually exercising restraint to get there.

I look forward to hearing what patches you come up with in the future as well, so far they're beautiful.
 Take care for now!

LoboLives

« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2019, 04:21:06 AM »
New episode up! As always, I appreciate you guys helping out on ideas for future exploration.
 Take care, and happy sound designing!

https://youtu.be/DfZWzz3Y4oQ

Incredible...it sounds like French horns. I might try this with my PX later on some brass samples. Thanks so much.

« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2019, 02:46:13 PM »
 I'd love to hear that!
 I haven't had the chance to play with an X much, I can imagine starting with fully developed samples as opposed to oscillators would open a lot of doors.
 Cheers.