A little help for a noob?! :)

A little help for a noob?! :)
« on: February 08, 2019, 11:26:57 AM »
Hi everyone.

I’m new to synths and I got a great deal on the 16 voice Rev 2.

I play piano and guitar and decided to move into synths.

It hasn’t arrived as of yet but I want to make sure that I’ve got everything I need to run it through my speakers and into my DAW with MIDI functionality.

I use a Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 which has MIDI connectivity, SPDIF as well as TRS and XLR etc.

I normally run my Kemper (guitar profiler made by the same people who make the Virus synths) via SPDIF into the 18i8, and then go into Logic on my Mac, and that all gets routed out to my Yamaha HS8’s.

How do I get the the Prophet to track MIDI in my DAW and also the volume to my speakers? Would it be USB to my Mac and then TRS out into one of the inputs on the 18i8?

Thanks for your help.

Re: A little help for a noob?! :)
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2019, 12:25:04 PM »
Yeah, you can use USB to transmit the MIDI, and 1/4 TS from Rev to your interface.   Good choice on the Rev2 - it's a super versatile synth... but sell that Kemper and get a Fractal!  ;)

OB-X8, Pro 3, P6, Rev2, Take 5, 3rd Wave, Deepmind, PolyBrute, Sub 37
Sound Sets:
https://sounddesign.sellfy.store/
Free Patches:
https://www.PresetPatch.com/user/CreativeSpiral

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2019, 01:24:01 PM »
Yeah, you can use USB to transmit the MIDI, and 1/4 TS from Rev to your interface.   Good choice on the Rev2 - it's a super versatile synth... but sell that Kemper and get a Fractal!  ;)

Just when we’re about to get an editor after 10 years? No chance!

There are two outputs aren’t there. They’re for panning and a full stereo sound aren’t they, so do I go into input 1&2 on my 18i8?

Thanks. :)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 01:28:35 PM by PhilUK »

S Y Z Y G Y X

• WWW.SYZYGYXMUSIC.COM
    • S Y Z Y G Y X
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2019, 01:51:34 PM »
Plug into any free input pair on your Scarlett, you can then create an External Instrument track in Logic, select the input channels that you plugged the REV2 in, and you will be able to process your REV2 with any plugin effect your lil’ heart desires!
SEQUENTIAL Pro 3, DSI Prophet 12, DSI Prophet Rev2-8, Moog Subsequent 37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Novation Bass Station 2, BOSS VE500, MOTU Micro Lite, AKAI APC240 MKII, SSL Fusion, UAD Apollo X6, MacBook Pro 2017, ADAM A7X Monitors, Logic X
www.syzygyxmusic.com
https://syzygy-x.bandcamp.com

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2019, 02:28:41 PM »
I have the same Focusrite soundcard as you. I quire simple.

You connect the usb from your soundcard and the rev2 to your computer. Connect the main/A output to input 1 and 2 on the front of the soundcard.

In the scarlet mixxcontrol you make sure that cannel 1 and 2 is activated and combined to stereo
In your DAW you activate your soundcard. Then you create a miditrack. In that track you route the midioutput and midiinput to the REV2 to be able to make a sound.

If you want to record what you are playing you can record midi to the miditrack.

If you want to record your midi track or directly to a soundtrack you create a new stereo soundtrack and activate input 1 and 2 to receive sound from the REV2 to that stereotrack.

Its easy if you done it once. It’s the same procedure for every synth you want to record.

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2019, 02:57:36 PM »
I have the same Focusrite soundcard as you. I quire simple.

You connect the usb from your soundcard and the rev2 to your computer. Connect the main/A output to input 1 and 2 on the front of the soundcard.

In the scarlet mixxcontrol you make sure that cannel 1 and 2 is activated and combined to stereo
In your DAW you activate your soundcard. Then you create a miditrack. In that track you route the midioutput and midiinput to the REV2 to be able to make a sound.

If you want to record what you are playing you can record midi to the miditrack.

If you want to record your midi track or directly to a soundtrack you create a new stereo soundtrack and activate input 1 and 2 to receive sound from the REV2 to that stereotrack.

Its easy if you done it once. It’s the same procedure for every synth you want to record.

Thanks so much. That’s exactly what I needed to know. You’re a star. :)