new forum member - new REV 2 owner - quick question?

new forum member - new REV 2 owner - quick question?
« on: December 03, 2019, 07:33:58 PM »
G'day,

New forum member having taken delivery of an 8 voice REV2 this week (also own the AS-1). Happy to see a dedicated forum to all things Sequential.

Quick question if I may, for patch loading, saving, etc, I am curious too see what app people use for Sysex transfer. consensus seems to be Sysex Librarian

Any opinions or suggestions as to the "best" method to use? Also anything to be wary of?

Re: new forum member - new REV 2 owner - quick question?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2019, 08:42:44 PM »
MIDI-OX is a good general program for sysex file transfers, and its free.   

If you want really great patch management features, I recommend SoundTower's Rev2 editor (the editor version, not the vst).   It's got a bunch of really nice functions for organizing patches / banks -- including tagging patches by type, drag/drop movement of patches, easy copy/paste functions across banks, and a whole separate "phantom bank" feature that allows you to organize and save entire virtual banks to your computer...   Works great for doing major re-organization to user banks.   

Also, Codeknobs offers third party options. 

OB-X8, Pro 3, P6, Rev2, Take 5, 3rd Wave, Deepmind, PolyBrute, Sub 37
Sound Sets:
https://sounddesign.sellfy.store/
Free Patches:
https://www.PresetPatch.com/user/CreativeSpiral

timboréale

• MIDI nerd
Re: new forum member - new REV 2 owner - quick question?
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2019, 12:41:36 PM »
As @creativespiral said, MIDI-OX for Windows, Sysex Librarian for Mac are both excellent choices (I use Sysex Librarian all the time, it's reliable and offers a lot of features to control the rate when using USB MIDI which are helpful to ensure reliability).

I own the SoundTower editor and like it just fine - it has lots of features, but it's very "clunky" to use, IMO, feels like very old style software, highly skeuomorphic and not particularly intuitive, especially with regards to the advanced features of the librarian, and I cannot find a manual for it anywhere, so there are some features I just don't use because I have no idea how they work or are supposed to work.

CodeKnob's stuff is very nice (I have the CodeKnobs VST, in fact) but I don't use it for librarian functionality so I don't know how well it does that.
Prophet 6 keyboard, Rev2-16, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Nords, etc...