Rev 2 outputs issue.

Rev 2 outputs issue.
« on: February 05, 2019, 02:15:23 PM »
Hello people,

Had the Rev2 for some time now and today connected a couple of external pedal effects from the headphone output on the Rev, and ever since all the outputs are either only playing left or right, crackling. also When I connect my headphone into the rev it sometimes gives off this loud continues tone. The fact it happened after connecting some effects might be coincidental or have something to do with...

I've emailed Tech support and will post anything that works.

Anyone got any ideas? Uk based repair shop..?

Cheers A

Re: Rev 2 outputs issue.
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2019, 03:21:43 PM »
The headphone output is not recommended as a line level output, since it’s hot enough to drive headphones speakers.
You should use the line output instead.
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2019, 03:55:52 PM »
Would this have caused the kind of damage or issues described above though? I mean I bet a lot of people have used a headphone connect in synth history to test something and everything was fine.

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2019, 04:44:28 PM »
I doubt very much that the REV2 might have been damaged in any way. But the effect pedals might not have welcome those high level signals though ?
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2019, 12:55:34 PM »
I assume you’ve since plugged something else into the pedals with the same exact setup and trouble..shot (?) this that way? As for
The continuous pitch, sounds like a grounding loop. But first I’d isolate those pedals

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2019, 07:36:38 AM »
http://www.mediafire.com/file/tisdwkgwc5pw4re/20190207_141913.mp4/file

This is a short video showing the tone when plugging in my headphones. I've talked with DSI and gone over a few things, Which included updating the firmware, and calibrating the OSC/filters. but not solved it.

I assume you’ve since plugged something else into the pedals with the same exact setup and trouble..shot (?) this that way? As for
The continuous pitch sounds like a grounding loop. But first I’d isolate those pedals

how would one create a grounding loop:?

If you connected the output of the TC electronic Flashback 2 effect pedal into the output of the headphone connection on the rev2 by accident would this do anything? From memory, I think I may have done. So essential you have an input going into the output headphone connection...?

« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 08:07:41 AM by AndyMurray »

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2019, 05:38:51 PM »
Hello,

I have the exact same problem as you. I used the headphones output of my REV2 16 to rehearse in a hotel room on a iphone charging bay/speaker to quickly have a stereo output to a 1/8 jack. It worked well for a few hours, but now I have this extremely loud tone coming out of the headphones output. This kinda ruins the synth for me. Any luck on your side? Thank you!

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2020, 02:53:41 AM »
I have the same issue. But the high pitched sound from the headphones output is coming from the machine itself, I can hear it if I put my ear to the synth itself.

Have anyone solved this?

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2021, 07:22:53 AM »
I have EXACTLY the same issue. The high pitched sound is coming from the machine itself, you can hear it silently but clearly when you put your ear to the synth -if there is no other sound around, you don't even have to put your ear close to the synth- and when you put the earphone jack in the headphone output this is the only sound you hear, loud and clear and not even mixed with the synth's patch sound. Seams to be a specific glitch or malfunction of the synth, I don;t know how rare it is, but I think SEQUENTIAL  should participate in this dialogue AND GIVE A SPECIFIC ANSWER. It is an issue that has to do with the reliability of the brand.
Any other thoughts are more than welcome

maxter

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2021, 07:08:01 PM »
If you connected the output of the TC electronic Flashback 2 effect pedal into the output of the headphone connection on the rev2 by accident would this do anything? From memory, I think I may have done. So essential you have an input going into the output headphone connection...?

Yeah, I think it could... Headphone outs have quite low impedance, as do headphones, but line outs have a LOT higher impedance. I'm not really a techy guy, but if I recall headphones have about 8 ohms to 600 ohms impedance, line outs are generally 10k ohms or more?

Probably a bit like plugging two water pumps outlets together with a hose, pumping water AGAINST each other, one pumping at a pressure of 1 (representing low impedance, say 10 ohms), and the other at 1000 times that pressure... Guess which pump will break.

Just a guess, I'm absolutely no expert on this, but I think you may have accidentally damaged the headphone output. I doubt anything else would get damaged, and that it would be a relatively cheap and easy fix. But that's just speculation.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2021, 07:14:40 PM by maxter »
The Way the Truth and the Life