Suggestions to fly with REV2 /flight case / cabin

Suggestions to fly with REV2 /flight case / cabin
« on: February 05, 2019, 03:02:10 AM »
Hello,

I am looking for a flight case for the Rev2.   Or advices to fly with that synth.
I need a super solid case, since sometimes music instruments get damaged during flights, you know...

Any suggestions for a good flight case for Rev2?
I've found this one , I wonder if it is good enough.

https://www.woodbrass.com/accessoires-claviers-housses-skb-3i-4214-tkbd-etui-etanche-pour-clavier-61-touches-p266990.html?af=2401&gclid=Cj0KCQiAheXiBRD-ARIsAODSpWODKq-VtWRkGjcR0cd4QbZlvBwPZBMiK6c3L2O77TsUqH_-UjPg5QEaAi3yEALw_wcB

Has someone took his/her rev2 in a flight already, would you like to share some tips?

Has someone took the rev2 in cabin?

:)

Re: Suggestions to fly with REV2 /flight case / cabin
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2019, 08:26:54 AM »
Je ne connais pas les produits SKB, mais ils ont une bonne réputation de solidité.
Je connais par contre Gator, et ils sont extrêmement robustes et plus légers qu'un flight case ATA conventionnel en bois et métal.

https://www.thomann.de/fr/gator_tsa_61_keyboardcase.htm

(translation for the French impaired  ;): I don't know SKB cases but I hear they have a good reputation for being solid. I've used Gator on the other hand, and they're extremely robust and lighter than a conventional wood-and-metal ATA flight case)
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2019, 01:35:36 AM »
I don't know if you are in the UK, but I got a case for my Rev2 from Swanflight.com. And I can vouch for its quality, because I actually put it in the hold when I flew with it (call me crazy, and I was extremely nervous beforehand) and everything turned out fine. I bought a case for my Mono/Poly from Thomann, but I'm not as impressed by the quality (and I haven't dared fly with it yet!). Having said that, Thomann stuff is usually pretty decent.

timboréale

• MIDI nerd
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2019, 12:45:35 PM »
The SKB 3i series are fantastic cases. I have one for my Nord Stage 3. I'd trust it for any type of shipping I need to do for my keys. Usually when flying I ask at the bag check if I can carry it onboard the aircraft. Certain small aircraft don't permit it, but they'll usually gate check it for you. The larger craft will often let you put it in the coat closet if it will fit, if you ask nicely (they don't have to let you, so be very polite about it). Worst case, again, it'll be a gate check. The advantage of that is obvious, you get your gear in your hands without it going through the mill and possibly being unattended on the baggage carousel if customs takes longer than expected.

I much prefer the SKB 3i series over ANY other flight case, because they're plenty durable, but quite a bit lighter in weight than the next sizes up or down, which your back will thank you for. If the bag is going to be gate checked you can also use much more secure locks than the wimpy TSA approved ones on it, but you'll need to keep those locks off until you've been through security, as they'll ask you to open the case for them.

The only downside to the hard cases is there isn't much space inside them to put accessories like pedals and whatnot (and if you buy them too big so they can fit, the protection for your board is reduced. So make sure your backpack or whatever other street bag you'll also be taking to your gigs with you can hold those.

But there's no way in hell I'd check or gate check a keyboard as nice as a Rev2 in a soft case.
Prophet 6 keyboard, Rev2-16, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Nords, etc...