Bugs and missing features in Sequential Prophet X/XL Mapping Utility

TheMM

I just sent this to the 8DIO support. Hope they will listen...

Dear 8DIO support,

I have a Prophet XL, own your two sample libs and work on my own stuff using your mapping utility on OSX.
It was great when you released this beta tool in the middle of December, but it turns out very fast, that this is more and alpha version as a real beta. The tool crashes sometimes (I did not figure exactly out when yet), but even worse, it lacks some basic functionality that is needed to use it.

First of all, currency it only spits out everything as program #2. No way to have more than one sound in a category, because it will override with any other sample set you import. This should be so easy to implement, and it’s more than six weeks since the initial release.

Second, I know it is in the pipeline, but without the option to have several velocity layers of samples everything you can do with your tool is feeling like it's 1980. This limits what you can do with the Prophet X a lot.

And last, when I want to review a project I saved before, I can not double click the project file in the finder. I have to open it via the menu, which is a pain in the neck.

At least, please release a quick beta 2 including the option to change the program number, as this is such a huge limitation.

Thanks for listening. I know this is a freeware, but it has an integral part on how we all can use this top of the line Sequential synth.

Best,
Marc

Re: Bugs and missing features in Sequential Prophet X/XL Mapping Utility
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2019, 08:50:01 AM »
8Dio's utility will number the resulting .zip archives sequentially based on what's already in the directory you export to.  So if you export to an empty directory you're right, you'll always get #02.  If you export again to the same directory, however, you'll then get #03, #04, and so on.  This isn't the most convenient way to get the numbering you want but it is possible.

I found it to be enough of a pain that I wrote my own utility to renumber them after the fact.  It requires some basic command-line comfort in your operating system of choice, but it's quick and easy to renumber your own .zip archives or those created by another user.

TheMM

Re: Bugs and missing features in Sequential Prophet X/XL Mapping Utility
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2019, 11:38:50 AM »
8Dio's utility will number the resulting .zip archives sequentially based on what's already in the directory you export to.  So if you export to an empty directory you're right, you'll always get #02.  If you export again to the same directory, however, you'll then get #03, #04, and so on.  This isn't the most convenient way to get the numbering you want but it is possible.

I found it to be enough of a pain that I wrote my own utility to renumber them after the fact.  It requires some basic command-line comfort in your operating system of choice, but it's quick and easy to renumber your own .zip archives or those created by another user.

Thanks for your comment & for writing the numbering tool. At least there is a way to use the software for more than one sample set per category. Although the on board version is indeed strange and undocumented, and your shell script is nice to have but close to unusable for someone without fluent terminal knowledge. I hope for all this to be included in the 8DIO software in a nice and easy way - as it is only a minor feature request compared to what the software already can do...