Squeaky noise at note on and off

Squeaky noise at note on and off
« on: February 21, 2016, 06:21:02 PM »
I've seen posts on other forums about this odd behaviour but haven't found a solution yet. It's not the clicking sound you get with low attack and release values, but a faint squeal that is VERY audible at lower cutoff frequencies. I've emailed technical support but haven't gotten a response yet and have run all of the system recalibrations and firmware updates.

Anybody else?

Sacred Synthesis

Re: Squeaky noise at note on and off
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 07:36:48 PM »
When you get a response from DSI, let us know what they say.  I've not heard before of this problem.

chysn

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 03:10:18 AM »
I've seen posts on other forums about this odd behaviour but haven't found a solution yet. It's not the clicking sound you get with low attack and release values, but a faint squeal that is VERY audible at lower cutoff frequencies. I've emailed technical support but haven't gotten a response yet and have run all of the system recalibrations and firmware updates.

Anybody else?

Would it be convenient for you to record and post a WAV file featuring this sound?
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2016, 01:00:03 AM »
Here's their response. I'll post an audio example as well. Supposedly it's normal behavior? Just seems so strange to me because it really makes certain patches unuseable. I don't know, is this how all of yours sound with lower filter values?

Thanks for contacting us here at DSI. The 'clicking' envelope is a tradeoff between a lot of issues including the free-running oscillator and the rampdown/rampup times of the internal components vs the time it takes to load the parameters into the voice processors and to the S&H chips. We have the envelopes ramping up as fast as possible so the self-resonating filter is one of the areas where the free-running oscillator will have a more pronounced click. Since there are no harmonics the sharp rise/fall of the voltage is more noticeable. Another example where it's pronounced is low triangle wave bass patches. We could certainly slow down the envelopes and give people less control over the snappy attack/decay sections to remove the click entirely but would lose the character of some of our sounds that take advantage of that.

There are a number of workarounds that you could try to minimize the click you're hearing, including dialing the envelope attack up a small amount; the first few numbers are very short and scale longer as it goes up so you're only adding a few ms attack time. Some parameters affect the click but aren't as obvious, audio mod and feedback commonly do that. Using the mod sources you could also emulate a slower envelope by having one envelope with a fast attack time control several parameters and smooth out the transient more.

If you'd like, you can send me a short audio clip of what you are hearing so I can confirm what you are hearing. You can use a sound you hear it most on as well as a basic patch which you can pull up by holding the Program button and pressing the +/Yes button.

Best regards

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2016, 01:44:48 AM »
I haven't got a P8 but that doesn't sound good!

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2016, 03:07:59 PM »
As DSI mentioned.  Just turn back the attack from 0 to like 3 , which should squelch it.   My Pittsburgh Modular does the same thing when attack is set at 0 time.   I don't think this click is unusual for many analogs.
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2016, 03:41:01 PM »
In that audio clip the attack starts at 15 and is adjusted to 45 by the end. It's not the attack click I'm referring to, it's the faint squeak which is very apparent at the end of the audio example. It sounds like a bicycle tire rubbing against brake pads. Might be more obvious in headphones.

Here are some older posts I've found about the problem, but still no solution is found.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/901458-prophet-08-noise-squeak-note-off.html

http://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=67293
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 03:44:41 PM by slingdinger »

6v6

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2016, 06:22:08 AM »
I am also experiencing this issue.  Very annoying on bass sounds with the filter rolled back.  It is not normal "fast attack" click as the sound persists even as the VCA attack is rolled back beyond 50.  I describe it as a springy, resonant click at note on and off.  It is more apparent with headphones.
I haven't noticed this behavior on other analog synths I've used.
I contacted support and got the verbatim response posted above.
I've attached a sound file demonstrating the noise.  Just single notes with one oscillator only, rolling the filter up and down.  The arpeggiator is on towards the end.

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2020, 12:18:52 PM »
+1 I experience both issues described in this post. Anyone find a fix?

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2020, 05:50:50 PM »
I have a similar problem on one of my P'08 modules, the one I use for the bass pedals.  It becomes especially noticeable on soft bass patches with a low cut off frequency.  For such a use, adjusting the attack time to slower than 5 is not an option.  But I haven't noticed the problem on my other P'08 units. 

So far, I've just accepted the problem and tried to work around it.   

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2020, 04:05:34 PM »
@Sacred Synthesis Thanks for the response. Unfortunately many of the sounds I build are victim to the described squeaky noise. i can make compromises to help mitigate, but I'm starting to believe there are better options for my desired sound.

Anyone experience this with the Rev 2?

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2020, 06:01:14 AM »
I've experienced this on some patches on my Mopho Keys. It definitely isn't there all the time, but only on certain settings.I'll keep it in mind and try to figure it out if it crops up again.