VCO Pack for Prophet X

Re: VCO Pack for Prophet X
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2019, 08:32:16 AM »
I believe I see the issue with the help of Steve (Thank you). The archives appear to be password protected and windows cannot extract password protected files with the native zip utility. I can't seem to find the password to extract the files where I downloaded the pack http://thinkersnacks.com/px-vco-pack.html Does anyone know the password?

You don't need to extract the inner .zip files (ones with names like 02. Neutron VCO_Triangle.zip). Just copy the .zip files onto the USB stick you'll use for importing into the PX. Put them in a folder called "15 Synth".

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2019, 12:00:10 PM »
The password protected .zip archives are not intended to be extracted prior to installation.  Just put them in the appropriate directory structure on a USB device:

\px\u02\15 Synth\

The Prophet X loads these directly and decrypts them internally.  This process has confused a few people, so I’ll update the instructions on the ThinkerSnacks site to clarify further.

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2019, 09:34:17 AM »
Thank you for your help all. It's been resolved  :)

Gerry Havinga

• Really enjoying creating sounds and composing.
    • For the love of electronic music
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2019, 06:37:38 AM »
The password protected .zip archives are not intended to be extracted prior to installation.  Just put them in the appropriate directory structure on a USB device:

\px\u02\15 Synth\

The Prophet X loads these directly and decrypts them internally.  This process has confused a few people, so I’ll update the instructions on the ThinkerSnacks site to clarify further.
Interesting, thanks for the explanation. I don't own a Prophet X yet, planning to buy one later this year. I wanted to try to load the samples on my good ol' Akai S5000.

I presume password is an "industry" secret? Otherwise we would be able to decode 8Dio's packs ........
DAW-less and going down the Eurorack rabbit hole.

« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2019, 07:43:39 AM »
I just got these installed and love the new audio palette to work with. Great sounding samples...thank you.

Do you have a Donation Page to contribute to so I can reward your efforts ?

« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2019, 10:38:51 AM »
I just got these installed and love the new audio palette to work with. Great sounding samples...thank you.

You're welcome!  I'm delighted to hear they're being put to good use.

Do you have a Donation Page to contribute to so I can reward your efforts ?

I can't speak for my co-contributors whose circumstances may differ, but I am absurdly well compensated in my primary career and don't want to muddy the waters by earning something on the side.  This has been a pure labor of love and an opportunity to learn a few new skills at the same time.

Ask me again once I retire, and if I'm still building tools for musicians I'll almost certainly welcome donations.

laurentluigi

« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2019, 01:32:11 AM »
Just Fantastic !!!!!!!!!!!

You've done a great job !!!!!
Thanks to the team who made this with passion !!

« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2019, 04:16:14 PM »

GOT IT! Thank You :) :) :)
T8, Tempest, OB6, Prophet X. 8DIO Prophet 5 add-on, Sample Packs from Lady Gaia (synth waveforms) and Modulatable.com (Moog One.)

« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2019, 05:45:12 PM »
This pack looks fantastic. I'm having a bit of trouble installing it though. My PX keeps saying there is nothing to read on the USB drive. I've double-checked my directory/folder hierarchy a dozen times and tried two different flash drives. Right before working on this, I successful installed the 8Dio A2600 and OBX add-ons, so I'm very surprised. I was hoping you might have some suggestions for how I can trouble shoot? Or perhaps there is a user sample import bug afflicting some people (I'm on 2.1.0).

blewis

« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2019, 07:44:02 PM »
Sorry for the basic question: When you try to install the VCO Pack, are you sure you’ve selected “Update Library - User” in the global menu? As opposed to the “Update Add-On Packs”?

« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2019, 07:53:52 PM »
I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble.  The suggestion above by @blewis is a good one, and the steps listed on the original download page under Installation should cover everything required.

I did notice that there was a typo on the page that I've since corrected, so if you wound up naming a directory "15. Synth" you may have been led astray.  It hasn't been a problem for anyone else I've heard from, largely because the correct directory structure is already present in the downloadable .zip archives.  Still, on the outside chance that you renamed the directory from the correct form, it should be:

px/u02/15 Synth/02. Neutron VCO|Triangle.zip
... and so on for the rest of the instruments ...

« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2019, 08:09:54 PM »
Sorry for the basic question: When you try to install the VCO Pack, are you sure you’ve selected “Update Library - User” in the global menu? As opposed to the “Update Add-On Packs”?

That was exactly it! I had no idea about this step. Thank you, Blewis!

blewis

« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2019, 08:13:57 PM »
Sweet! You got all kinds of sampled analog goodness now! Have fun getting lost in sound...

« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2019, 10:18:02 AM »
Sweet! You got all kinds of sampled analog goodness now! Have fun getting lost in sound...

No doubt! Playing the Moog Voyager samples polyphonically with all sorts of Prophet X modulation matrix and LFO goodness obliterates any and all Moog One envy!

« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2019, 10:20:28 AM »
Also, I have an OB-6 but am really into being able to have it "live" inside my PX to have added modulation and synthesis features. I plan on recreating my OB-6 patches inside the PX, then seeing where else I can take them!

Thank you Lady Gaia and your collaborators for this phenomenal piece of work! Multisampling is far too much of a headache for me to accomplish with any level of quality on my own. You all are legends.

laurentluigi

« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2019, 11:04:44 AM »
I call Miss LadyGaia the One and only
 :) :) :) :)

« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2019, 11:52:55 AM »
Thank you Lady Gaia and your collaborators for this phenomenal piece of work! Multisampling is far too much of a headache for me to accomplish with any level of quality on my own. You all are legends.

I’m glad you’re enjoying them!  The project was certainly fun, and as you can see with PXToolkit I am somewhat obsessed with getting it done right to the extent that I’m in a position to do something about it.  I’m extremely grateful to @blewis for getting the ball rolling by doing the first round of meticulous recording work for the VCO Pack, and Alan for joining in the fun.  Without the raw samples it never would have gone anywhere.

AlanC

« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2019, 01:49:23 PM »
Multisampling is far too much of a headache for me to accomplish with any level of quality on my own.

The secret here, for me at least, was SampleRobot.

LadyGaia suggested it in a thread on GS. I was initially sceptical, but since I have a Yamaha Montage and Yamaha were offering the Montage-specific version for free I decided to give it a go. It turned out to be an excellent product that can fully automate the process of sampling a MIDI controllable synthesizer and, with some practice, can also automate the otherwise extremely time-consuming process of looping the resulting samples. So I upgraded the Montage-specific version to the full product with a view to using it to create samples for an unrelated project I'm working on.

The process of creating the OB-6 and Erebus sample sets was basically one of setting up a series of SampleRobot projects to record the relevant note ranges for each waveform, making sure the levels were appropriate, and then leaving SampleRobot to get on with the job. LadyGaia subsequently handled the looping of the samples, and did an excellent job. There's something of an art to setting the parameters that control this process, and at the time I was still very much at the learning stage.

I'm happy to hear that you - and others - are enjoying the results. :) But if you are interested in doing something of this kind yourself then SampleRobot really can take the majority of the pain out of multisampling, particularly when sampling a synthesizer.

« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2019, 05:29:45 PM »
Similar to SampleRobot, the MPC Live and X now have auto-sampling. I have a Live so could set up some multisamples of my own, but it sure is nice when very experienced people have already done so and shared their hard work! :)

Multisampling is far too much of a headache for me to accomplish with any level of quality on my own.

LadyGaia suggested it in a thread on GS. I was initially sceptical, but since I have a Yamaha Montage and Yamaha were offering the Montage-specific version for free I decided to give it a go. It turned out to be an excellent product that can fully automate the process of sampling a MIDI controllable synthesizer and, with some practice, can also automate the otherwise extremely time-consuming process of looping the resulting samples. So I upgraded the Montage-specific version to the full product with a view to using it to create samples for an unrelated project I'm working on.

The process of creating the OB-6 and Erebus sample sets was basically one of setting up a series of SampleRobot projects to record the relevant note ranges for each waveform, making sure the levels were appropriate, and then leaving SampleRobot to get on with the job. LadyGaia subsequently handled the looping of the samples, and did an excellent job. There's something of an art to setting the parameters that control this process, and at the time I was still very much at the learning stage.

I'm happy to hear that you - and others - are enjoying the results. :) But if you are interested in doing something of this kind yourself then SampleRobot really can take the majority of the pain out of multisampling, particularly when sampling a synthesizer.

blewis

« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2019, 06:12:01 PM »
I would avoid trying to use the MPC Live for this. I did a write up of my pains trying this method on the Gearslutz forum.

Both AlanC and Lady Gaia ran circles around me using Sample Robot. Basically it all came down to start samples and looping, both of which the MPC sucked at. Mind you, the way MPC handles it’s Start pointer works great on the MPC - but horrible for exporting a wav for another sampler.

Mainstage on the Mac was similarly painful, but better, but not much.

I spent days cursing at this stuff. LOL. Downloaded at least a dozen free audio tools - all of which destroyed various pieces of critical metadata.

Similar to SampleRobot, the MPC Live and X now have auto-sampling. I have a Live so could set up some multisamples of my own, but it sure is nice when very experienced people have already done so and shared their hard work! :)

« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 06:14:21 PM by blewis »