Stabilization

Sleep of Reason

Re: Stabilization
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2019, 09:24:34 AM »
if they could just guarantee that they fix their bugs

It would be completely ludicrous to charge for bug fixes. Features is a different story; however, with other companies doing huge updates (as I've mentioned before), it behooves them as well as it keeps interest in their aging products.

Personally I'd be content if the OB-6 & P6 got a massive/lush reverb if possible. I'm not asking for the world, nor do I think extra features are owed, but they're certainly nice gestures that help sway future purchasing decisions. 
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 09:33:33 AM by Sleep of Reason »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2019, 09:35:36 AM »

It would be completely ludicrous to charge for bug fixes. Features is a different story; however, with other companies doing huge updates (as I've mentioned before), it behooves them as well as it keeps interest in their aging products.

Personally I'd be content if the OB-6 & P6 got a massive/lush reverb if possible. I'm not asking for the world, nor do I think extra features are owed, but they're certainly nice gestures that help sway future purchasing decisions.

Agreed. 

dsetto

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2019, 10:35:28 PM »
Interesting point:

At what point could, or should, an individual synthesizer, find its place, and not evolve; and remain in production?

In a sense, the recent close and almost-close reissues by Moog and Sequential are somewhat examples of this. But, the Moog ones are limited runs; and who knows how long the P6/OB6 will be around?

I see your question as: when will an analog synthesizer be like the piano, or the acoustic or electric guitar? I.e., could  particular synthesizer attain stabilization in its evolution and stay in production.

The keyboard instrument surely is a funny category. When the finger isn’t directly connected to the string, the flexibility is vast. And accompanying that vastness can come a different form of detachment.

If one looks from a distant vantage point, all analog synthesizers are sufficiently similar, like all guitars, from a distance, are sufficiently similar. I suppose the significantly greater diversification of keyboard instruments also leads to a less focused production/consumption cycle.

But, likely just as relevant- the analog synthesizer is a function of technology. As the underlying, and relatively young technology continues to evolve, so will the instrument package.
In the case of the attempted one-to-one reissues, continued production is difficult with limited parts. By not being exact reissues, perhaps the P6/OB6 have the chance of staying around a lot longer.

Perhaps, and likely, the P12 was built upon technology that is being phased out, and replaced. And maybe, this is beyond Sequential’s control.

... And, the synthesizer innovators are ... innovators. In their essence. ... Others can manage the librarian tasks. As a musician improvises, an innovative synthesizer company, looks at now, past, tomorrow, assesses materials, trends, niches, successes, and whims, and instinct. And then innovates.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2019, 04:35:16 AM »

I certainly would expect fixes to be non-paid... i was reffering to features of course :)
If you need me, follow the shadows...

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2019, 04:46:06 AM »
and by the way... I too think that Sequential has gotten better at fixing their bugs, but one thing still "bugs me"... and that is that it still seems that when a product is nearing it's "end", Sequential seems to be less and less interested in fixing what may remain of bugs... I've seen this over and over again, and I do not think there is many of Sequentials products that leave the market without some KNOWN left over bugs in them... that kind of thing stresses me because then i have to make sure that bugs are reported as fast as possible... the earlier in a products life cycle, the greater the chance bugs get fixed... I think I've only really witnessed ONE product where i do not recall any leftover bugs being present (that I know of), and that's the Prophet 12... The Evolver was left with bugs, Tempest was left with bugs... and REV2 still has bugs that I HOPE will be completely gone before they stop caring for that synth as well... in fact bugs seems to linger so long after a release, that I cannot even wait and see if they have them all fixed before I buy, so this forces me into a dilemma because if i want to make certain that i can contribute to the bug reporting early on, i have to buy while there is still bugs present... if i wait, I'll still have a few bugs to worry about, but cannot be certain that reporting them will end in a fix...
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 04:48:20 AM by Razmo »
If you need me, follow the shadows...

« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2019, 05:22:38 AM »
I think I've only really witnessed ONE product where i do not recall any leftover bugs being present (that I know of), and that's the Prophet 12...

There's definitely a point of diminishing returns where feature additions start to affect the overall stability of the product. The Tempest was a good example of this.
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000