NAMM 2019 discussion.

Re: NAMM 2019 discussion.
« Reply #60 on: January 26, 2019, 12:57:50 PM »

To me it's the combination of the digital front end and the analog filters that does it... not any of them stand alone... I honestly have no interest in the digital engine alone because it has the typical Waldorf digital sound to it which is rather sterile and well... digital... I've always liked Waldorfs hybrid and analog products, but really none of their 100% digital ones...

I'm discovering I like hybrids most of all. (Though I'd still like a flagship analog poly, but that's a different quandary.)

Along those lines, I really liked the video I think maybe loopop did of just going through the presets of the Minilogue XD: it was really impressive and I liked it more than the Prologue demos--I think possibly because they improved the filter. Pity it's only 4 voices, but the price makes me less leery of it than the Prologue.

I'm still not sure it's what I want right now, but it does seem to have a very wide sweet spot and some great, full-sounding sounds.
Prophet 12, Modal 002, MFB Dominion 1, Behringer DeepMind 12D, Korg Polysix & EX-8000, Roland JX-8P, Ensoniq SQ-80, Kawai K3m and now an OB-6!

« Reply #61 on: January 26, 2019, 05:49:42 PM »

megamarkd

• One day I will fund a vuvuzela marching band.
« Reply #62 on: January 26, 2019, 05:56:04 PM »
They have got Mutable Instruments in on the design and are using a great number of their oscillator algorithms in it.

Well, Arturia used code from Plaits while the marketing copy throws around terms like "collaboration," but Mutable Instruments had nothing to do with the design, and Émile was only shown the thing when it was pretty much done. She doesn't object to the use of the open-source code, but she does sort of object to the word "collaboration."

Yeah, that's a little rude to do that.  Not quite as rude as another French company, but still....

« Reply #63 on: January 26, 2019, 06:01:39 PM »
They have got Mutable Instruments in on the design and are using a great number of their oscillator algorithms in it.

Well, Arturia used code from Plaits while the marketing copy throws around terms like "collaboration," but Mutable Instruments had nothing to do with the design, and Émile was only shown the thing when it was pretty much done. She doesn't object to the use of the open-source code, but she does sort of object to the word "collaboration."

Yeah, that's a little rude to do that.  Not quite as rude as another French company, but still....

Here's the full statement by Émilie:

Hello peeps!

There is a lot of noise on the internet regarding the Arturia Microfreak.

Let me clarify a couple of things.

First of all, Plaits’ code is open-source, which means that anybody is free to use it, as long as they credit me somewhere (it can be in a product description page, or a footnote in a downloadable manual, or an “about” dialog). This is why you can find Mutable Instruments’ DSP code in the Korg Prologue, the Axoloti, the Organelle, VCV Rack, and plenty of other bits of software or hardware. This is not stealing. Plaits’ code is a summary of everything I’ve learnt about making rich and balanced sound sources controlled by a few parameters, it’s for everyone to enjoy.

Now, regarding the Microfreak.

Arturia had been in the process of developing a hybrid synth for a while, and contacted me about using some of Plaits’ code inside. I had no objection to that.

In May, they invited me to their headquarters for a product development meeting where they showed me mockups of the Microfreak. It was fairly clear at this point that it was their product. The feature set, UX, sound engine were all already set in stone. The product obviously followed Arturia’s design language and branding. My expected contribution to the project was none: Arturia’s engineers would do their own thing with my code, the tone character and sound design was their responsibility. It was pointless for me to suggest features and ideas, or spill the beans about ideas I wanted to keep for upcoming Mutable Instruments products, and this awkward event felt more like a focus group.

Arturia offered to mention something like “Oscillator code from Mutable Instruments” in the product description, which is my preferred form of citation. No monetary compensation has ever been discussed – which is fair, because I provided exactly 0 hour of work and 0 original line of code. No contract has been drafted or signed.

Arturia contacted me back last week with a photo of the finished product. I never had the opportunity to playtest it. I have not been asked to approve or veto any promotional material.

As you can see, my involvement was fairly limited.

I don’t feel wronged. It’s their product.

However, I feel uneasy when people got excited, seeing it described as a collaboration between Mutable Instruments and Arturia, because none of the technical and design choices involved in this product originate from me. I have been quite disconcerted by the private messages congratulating me for this release and achievement. I know some people have been waiting for a Mutable Instruments keyboard synth, or at least non-modular product, for a while. Well, this is not it. That’s what I wanted to say to the world. I don’t want people to associate any negative experience they could have with this product with Mutable Instruments. I don’t want people to think that I endorsed or at least authorized some aesthetic decisions regarding this product or the communication surrounding it.

With its focus on local production, open-source, deliberate lack of marketing and advertising, Mutable Instruments is an unusual company. It’s stimulating and fun, but somewhat dangerous too. Turning Arturia into an enemy – those talks of boycotts and those tweets demanding justice – is only adding fuel to the fire and increasing the risks of getting me attacked in ways I don’t expect and I am not protected against.

If you care about me, move on! I need a lot of strength and energy at the moment, and it should all be focused on finishing new products.

So please let Arturia enjoy their release party, it’s hard work to ship a product. Buy their product if you think you’ll have fun and make good music with it, don’t buy otherwise. Buy Mutable Instruments products (or the Softube clones) if you want to fund me, or build your own and give the money to charities.

Love,
Émilie

Source: https://forum.mutable-instruments.net/t/about-the-microfreak/14878

« Reply #64 on: January 26, 2019, 06:08:35 PM »
And the other Dave demonstrating the Trident module:

https://youtu.be/dhBRItwQhag

megamarkd

• One day I will fund a vuvuzela marching band.
« Reply #65 on: January 26, 2019, 09:03:06 PM »
[snip]

Thank you Paul for the information, helps with to have the official story.

« Reply #66 on: January 27, 2019, 03:00:18 AM »
[snip]

Thank you Paul for the information, helps with to have the official story.

It should also be noted that Arturia corrected the wording and apologized for what happened and how it came across. So fair play on all sides now and case closed.

Shaw

« Reply #67 on: January 27, 2019, 07:00:51 AM »
Has Sequential or 8dio said when the new PX Add-On Pack’s will start rolling out?  I’m really loving the Last Prophet pack...
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

« Reply #68 on: January 27, 2019, 07:09:00 AM »
Has Sequential or 8dio said when the new PX Add-On Pack’s will start rolling out?  I’m really loving the Last Prophet pack...

No. The official statement says: "The add-ons packs will be available for download from 8Dio’s website at a date to be determined after the show."

Shaw

« Reply #69 on: January 27, 2019, 07:19:07 AM »

No. The official statement says: "The add-ons packs will be available for download from 8Dio’s website at a date to be determined after the show."
Godspeed.
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |