NAMM 2019 discussion.

Re: NAMM 2019 discussion.
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2019, 08:59:12 AM »
I know it won't happen this year, but I'm wondering if Moog will eventually fill the Minimoog vacuum.

I do wonder...now that Moog has done an analog polysynth again...would they really go back to Mono synths or continue to try new things.

This just came into my inbox:

https://www.moogmusic.com/news/sirin-analog-messenger-joy

« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 09:26:22 AM by Quatschmacher »

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2019, 09:12:47 AM »
Korg have announced an updated digitally enhanced Minilogue (Minilogue XD) and two new Volcas (Drum and Modular), all of which I'm pretty impressed with.

If Korg would only go adult size, I'd probably be willing to give one of their new instruments a try.  I'm still a-searching for that "perfect" mono synth.  In the end, the Pro 2 has come the closest, except that I wish it came also in module form.

I love the Pro 2; I've had mine for a few weeks now and am smitten (and I've barely touched the sequencer yet). Sadly it needs to go back to the shop to have a circuit board swapped out as both filter cutoff knobs became wobbly after around two weeks of very careful use. I'm enjoying the extra keyboard range over my Subsequent 37.

« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2019, 09:13:49 AM »
I know it won't happen this year, but I'm wondering if Moog will eventually fill the Minimoog vacuum.

Megamarkd -

Oh, I'm just trying to start a rumor that Moog is branching out into the vacuum cleaner market.  Their fist model will be called the Minivac.

Let's hope it doesn't suck!  ;D

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2019, 09:26:48 AM »
Well they did go adult size with the Prologue.

Yes, I expected someone would say that.  At first, I was excited about them, but the Prologues now seem like cheap Prophet Rev2s.  Sure, they have some obvious additional features, but also a pitiful paucity of modulation.  On the Sweetwater Specs page, they don't even mention modulation!  Nor have I been impressed with their general tone.  Nor is there a module version.  And I've also read about serious tuning problems in quite a few units.  I quickly crossed the Prologues off my list.

Besides, isn't the digital oscillator still under development?  I prefer completed instruments that can be fully assessed before purchased.  That's one of the reasons I wait for Sequential to finish their OS updates before buying one of their synthesizers.  I'm still patiently waiting for the Rev2 to reach its "perfect" state.

And no aftertouch.

Yes, and I just read a review in which a person tried to make light of this by saying - surprise surprise - that the synthesizers of the 80's didn't have aftertouch (but some did, such as the ARP Pro Soloist), and no one complained about it back then.  Please!  That's not a very effective defense.

I'm not in need of exceedingly complicated synthesizers, but there is a minimum of basic features that must be present, and aftertouch is certainly one of them, together with four or more LFOs.

I suppose it's unlikely we'll see it this winter, but I'm really hoping for some sort of Prophet 12 replacement from Sequential.  I can wait, because I'm still getting ready for the Rev2, but I do hope there's a big one in the works.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 09:40:53 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2019, 09:41:27 AM »

Yes, I expected someone would say that.  At first, I was excited about them, but the Prologues now seem like cheap Prophet Rev2s.  Sure, they have some obvious additional features, but also a pitiful paucity of modulation.  On the Sweetwater Specs page, they don't even mention modulation!  Nor have I been impressed with their general tone.  Nor is there a module version.  And I've also read about serious tuning problems in quite a few units.  I quickly crossed the Prologues off my list.

Besides, isn't the digital oscillator still under development?  I prefer completed instruments that can be fully assessed before purchased.  That's one of the reasons I wait for Sequential to finish their OS updates before buying one of their synthesizers.  I'm still patiently waiting for the Rev2 to reach its "perfect" state.

And no aftertouch.

Yes, and I just read a review in which a person tried to make light of this by saying - surprise surprise - that the synthesizers of the 80's didn't have aftertouch (but some did, such as the ARP Pro Soloist), and no one complained about it back then.  Please!  That's not a very effective defense.

I'm not in need of exceedingly complicated synthesizers, but there is a minimum of basic features that must be present, and aftertouch is certainly one of them, together with four or more LFOs.  The Prologue can't even come close.

I suppose it's likely we won't see it this winter, but I'm really hoping for some sort of Prophet 12 replacement from Sequential.  I can wait, because I'm still getting ready for the Rev2, but I do hope there's a big one on the way.

I'm in a similar boat. I'm ready to buy my first poly. I'd love a poly rendition of the Pro 2. I wasn't bowled over by the P12 (neither the filter or the keybed), though I guess it's a grower. I'm still tempted by P6/OB-6 but the single LFO and 4-Octave keyboard are making me hesitate somewhat. I like the fact that they have a panel mode and dual effects. I might find the Rev 2 a bit too overwhelming (though the Pro 2 is pretty beastly).

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2019, 09:50:56 AM »
You should seriously consider the Rev2.  It may be a bit more than you want right now, but it's also nice to have room to grow in future years.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 10:00:33 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

megamarkd

• One day I will fund a vuvuzela marching band.
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2019, 10:06:57 AM »

Yes, I expected someone would say that.  At first, I was excited about them, but the Prologues now seem like cheap Prophet Rev2s.  Sure, they have some obvious additional features, but also a pitiful paucity of modulation.  On the Sweetwater Specs page, they don't even mention modulation!  Nor have I been impressed with their general tone.  Nor is there a module version.  And I've also read about serious tuning problems.  I quickly crossed the Prologues off my list.

Besides, isn't the digital oscillator still under development?

Modulation sources and destinations are always a huge consideration for me and Korg do really fall short on that with all the latest instruments.  I still shake my head when I look at the AD envelope on the Monologue and the "you may choose from one of the following three destinations" switch and say to myself "Korg, what were you thinking?  This is a Volca with keys!"

The digital oscillator for the Mini/Prologue is fully functional as far as I've read, with various companies selling "pro-designed" oscillators created with the SDK for it.  It'd be a bit like hara-kiri to announce an updated Minilogue featuring the multi-engine digital oscillator with it still not working properly (a year after release at that).

I saw the Minilogue XD last weekend. Looks really cool, though I can’t understand why they removed full ADSR from the filter EG.

That indeed is a bummer, as is the loss of the cutoff envelope if you want an envelope for the pitch.  And the removal of the 24dB mode for the filter tends to give it less scope for creating aggressive emphasis in a patch.  Oh well, at least they added a sequencer that can act as a parameter animator and some CV inputs which can be assigned to pretty much any parameter on the synth (a little win there if you have a few external CV sources).

All this Korg talk, but I have to say, after listening to the Model:Samples demo again and reading a bit on the Elektron site, I think I might have finally found a replacement for my dead RY30.  I'll wait to see who else releases a new drum machine before I start the funds drive though.  Likely nobody but maybe, just maybe Yamaha might do something they haven't done in over a decade?  I really doubt Akai will.

Warning - while you were typing 9 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post.

Yes yes I was expecting that!

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2019, 10:07:23 AM »

I do wonder...now that Moog has done an analog polysynth again...would they really go back to Mono synths or continue to try new things.

Looks like it would pair nicely with a Moog Grandmother.  And it's only $600.  But I think for the same price I'd prefer an Odyssey Module or even a Vermona Mono Lancet.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 10:18:20 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2019, 10:21:08 AM »

Looks like it would pair nicely with a Moog Grandmother.  And it's only $600.  But I think for the same price I'd prefer an Odyssey Module or even a Vermona Mono Lancet.

I owned a Minitaur for a brief period but returned it, mainly due to a fault with the pitch CV input on both examples I had but I found the limited range so frustrating. This looks like it would solve all that. (I'm still not fond of some features only being accessible via the editor, such as wave reset and a few other parameters, but I'm still very interested in this.)

EDIT - I hadn't clocked the price - that's quite a bit more than a Minitaur and will likely be 600 GBP for me so that's less enticing.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 10:49:51 AM by Quatschmacher »

« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2019, 11:10:41 AM »

I'm still annoyed I can't get something with a keyboard and poly pressure as nice as the T-8 nowadays! That was what, 1983?

Also, my JX-8P and Ensoniq SQ-80 (poly, even!) cough in that reviewer's general direction.

Yeah, the Prologue is a bit limited. I don't love the filter, though the digital oscillator is interesting and it can make some nice sounds...just not enough that I couldn't make with other gear.

Hey, Dave, maybe the next step in the evolution of the VS/Evolver synths could feature a keyboard like the T-8 :) :)
Prophet 12, Modal 002, MFB Dominion 1, Behringer DeepMind 12D, Korg Polysix & EX-8000, Roland JX-8P, Ensoniq SQ-80, Kawai K3m and now an OB-6!

« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2019, 11:31:50 AM »
Well, this is certainly interesting:

https://www.arturia.com/products/hardware-synths/microfreak/overview

A synthesizer like no other, MicroFreak is a peculiar, exceptional instrument that rewards the curious musician. It blends wavetable and digital oscillators with analog filters. It features a unique poly-aftertouch flat keyboard. It adds controlled randomness to sequences. This isn’t a revolution, it’s a mutiny.

The video is a bit of a disappointment, but I'll reserve judgement until someone like Nick Batt does a review. I'm a sucker for hybrids, and the keyboard is an interesting idea. The price isn't too bad, either.
Prophet 12, Modal 002, MFB Dominion 1, Behringer DeepMind 12D, Korg Polysix & EX-8000, Roland JX-8P, Ensoniq SQ-80, Kawai K3m and now an OB-6!

LoboLives

« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2019, 11:39:04 AM »

And no aftertouch.

I'm not in need of exceedingly complicated synthesizers, but there is a minimum of basic features that must be present, and aftertouch is certainly one of them, together with four or more LFOs.

I suppose it's unlikely we'll see it this winter, but I'm really hoping for some sort of Prophet 12 replacement from Sequential.  I can wait, because I'm still getting ready for the Rev2, but I do hope there's a big one in the works.

For me I’ve started to warm up to the Prologue for one simple reason: it sounds different. It doesn’t sound like a Prophet or Oberhiem, it has its own unique sound that compliments my other gear.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2019, 11:43:45 AM »
For me I’ve started to warm up to the Prologue for one simple reason: it sounds different. It doesn’t sound like a Prophet or Oberhiem, it has its own unique sound that compliments my other gear.

That's for sure!

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2019, 11:45:56 AM »
Well, this is certainly interesting:

https://www.arturia.com/products/hardware-synths/microfreak/overview

A synthesizer like no other, MicroFreak is a peculiar, exceptional instrument that rewards the curious musician. It blends wavetable and digital oscillators with analog filters. It features a unique poly-aftertouch flat keyboard. It adds controlled randomness to sequences. This isn’t a revolution, it’s a mutiny.

The video is a bit of a disappointment, but I'll reserve judgement until someone like Nick Batt does a review. I'm a sucker for hybrids, and the keyboard is an interesting idea. The price isn't too bad, either.

It reminds me of the old WASP synthesizer.

« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2019, 03:09:01 PM »
You should seriously consider the Rev2.  It may be a bit more than you want right now, but it's also nice to have room to grow in future years.

It’s definitely still in my shortlist, I just need to get to somewhere I can try it again. Bizarrely I’ve had more opportunity when going to Berlin than going somewhere in the UK (and often it’s cheaper to do that too).

jg666

« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2019, 03:42:58 PM »

It’s definitely still in my shortlist, I just need to get to somewhere I can try it again. Bizarrely I’ve had more opportunity when going to Berlin than going somewhere in the UK (and often it’s cheaper to do that too).

I tried the Rev2 at Gear4Music in York and liked it so much I took one away with me :)
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2019, 03:58:33 PM »
Just checked out the Arturia Microfreak. Very interesting:
https://youtu.be/kdtTGBAY_-4

chysn

« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2019, 07:21:22 PM »
It's too bad I don't need any more synth stuff, because I love everything about the MicroFreak.

In other news, Buchla is making eurorack modules now as Red Panel. Basically they took over Catalyst, which had been making 100 Series clones. https://sonicstate.com/news/2019/01/24/namm-2019-buchlas-red-panel-affordable-synths/
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

megamarkd

• One day I will fund a vuvuzela marching band.
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2019, 09:32:16 PM »
It's too bad I don't need any more synth stuff, because I love everything about the MicroFreak.

Oh it's a very tempting reason to make some space indeed.  They have got Mutable Instruments in on the design and are using a great number of their oscillator algorithms in it.  I don't even care that it's paraphonic, it's sounds wonderful!

In other news, Buchla is making eurorack modules now as Red Panel. Basically they took over Catalyst, which had been making 100 Series clones. https://sonicstate.com/news/2019/01/24/namm-2019-buchlas-red-panel-affordable-synths/

Don't say that, I'm running out of room in my second double tier case already!

jg666

« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2019, 12:25:02 AM »
Re the MicroFreak there's just one big thing that I don't like about it and that's the keyboard. I just can't get on with playing a flat non-yielding surface.

I've got a couple of synth apps on my ipad but hardly use them because I hate playing on the screen. I do occasionally connect it up to a proper keyboard and play it that way but it's too much hassle to keep doing that.
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6