NAMM 2019 discussion.

LoboLives

NAMM 2019 discussion.
« on: January 23, 2019, 08:02:48 PM »
I figured it would be cool to start a thread discussing all the new gear appearing at NAMM.

So far I’ve checked out videos on....

Yamaha has a new CP piano which is very similar to the layout of a Nord piano or a Korg Grandstage.

Elektron has a nice new sample based drum machine which not only has a nice simplified retro look as well as a decent price point ($400).

Sacred Synthesis

Re: NAMM 2019 discussion.
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2019, 08:12:22 PM »
Don't neglect to add links here, so we don't have to search online for every morsel of information.

LoboLives

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2019, 08:42:59 PM »
Don't neglect to add links here, so we don't have to search online for every morsel of information.

Good call.

LoboLives

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2019, 08:44:06 PM »

LoboLives

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2019, 08:45:40 PM »
New Elektron Drum Machine

https://youtu.be/gc0pC_2rp1c

LoboLives

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2019, 08:46:53 PM »
I know it won't happen this year, but I'm wondering if Moog will eventually fill the Minimoog vacuum.

I do wonder...now that Moog has done an analog polysynth again...would they really go back to Mono synths or continue to try new things.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2019, 08:48:39 PM »
I think the mono synth will always be Moog's specialty. 

Shaw

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2019, 09:07:26 PM »
Not necessarily a "new" announcement, but Waldorf is coming through on the Kyra (formerly Valkyrie) VA Synth that some describe as the Access Virus successor....

https://www.musicradar.com/news/waldorf-teases-kyra-a-super-powerful-synth-due-to-debut-at-namm-2019
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

megamarkd

• One day I will fund a vuvuzela marching band.
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2019, 12:42:40 AM »
Korg have announced an updated digitally enhanced Minilogue (Minilogue XD) and two new Volcas (Drum and Modular), all of which I'm pretty impressed with.

That Elektron drummer really is killer sounding and so made for performance.  I'm a sucker for drum machines under a grand.

I know it won't happen this year, but I'm wondering if Moog will eventually fill the Minimoog vacuum.

I do wonder...now that Moog has done an analog polysynth again...would they really go back to Mono synths or continue to try new things.

Sacred Synthesis' quote made me think of a moog vacuum and had me wondering why he'd want a moog hoover sound?  It's been hot down here!

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2019, 04:46:19 AM »
Korg have announced an updated digitally enhanced Minilogue (Minilogue XD) and two new Volcas (Drum and Modular), all of which I'm pretty impressed with.

That Elektron drummer really is killer sounding and so made for performance.  I'm a sucker for drum machines under a grand.

Sacred Synthesis' quote made me think of a moog vacuum and had me wondering why he'd want a moog hoover sound?  It's been hot down here!

I saw the Minilogue XD last weekend. Looks really cool, though I can’t understand why they removed full ADSR from the filter EG.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2019, 05:43:37 AM »

Megamarkd -

Oh, I'm just trying to start a rumor that Moog is branching out into the vacuum cleaner market.  Their fist model will be called the Minivac.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2019, 05:48:56 AM »

If Korg would only go adult size, I'd probably be willing to give one of their new instruments a try.  I'm still a-searching for that "perfect" mono synth.  In the end, the Pro 2 has come the closest, except that I wish it came also in module form.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 06:04:12 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

Shaw

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2019, 05:50:41 AM »

If Korg would only go adult size, I'd probably be willing to give one of their new instruments a try.
No doubt.  When did Fisher Price take over Korg and Roland?
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2019, 06:04:43 AM »
Exactly!  I'm so relieved Sequential hasn't fallen to the tiny temptation.  I believe Robot Heart has asserted they never will.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 06:08:19 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

LoboLives

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2019, 07:15:10 AM »

If Korg would only go adult size, I'd probably be willing to give one of their new instruments a try.  I'm still a-searching for that "perfect" mono synth.  In the end, the Pro 2 has come the closest, except that I wish it came also in module form.

Well they did go adult size with the Prologue.

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2019, 07:47:21 AM »

Best link is this ...

instagram.com/synthjam .... all the synth news as it happens from NAMM

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2019, 08:16:19 AM »

Yes, I expected someone would say that.  At first, I was excited about them, but the Prologues now seem like cheap Prophet Rev2s.  Sure, they have some obvious additional features, but also a pitiful paucity of modulation.  On the Sweetwater Specs page, they don't even mention modulation!  Nor have I been impressed with their general tone.  Nor is there a module version.  And I've also read about serious tuning problems in quite a few units.  I quickly crossed the Prologues off my list.

Besides, isn't the digital oscillator still under development?  I prefer completed instruments that can be fully assessed before purchased.  That's one of the reasons I wait for Sequential to finish their OS updates before buying one of their synthesizers.  I'm still patiently waiting for the Rev2 to reach its "perfect" state.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 08:35:57 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2019, 08:30:08 AM »

Besides, isn't the digital oscillator still under development?

No, it shipped with it. It's just getting oscillator types (and effects) from third party developers. For the Minilogue XD, apparently they've open sourced it so you don't have to vet them through Korg like for the Prologue.
Prophet 12, Modal 002, MFB Dominion 1, Behringer DeepMind 12D, Korg Polysix & EX-8000, Roland JX-8P, Ensoniq SQ-80, Kawai K3m and now an OB-6!

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2019, 08:38:30 AM »

Besides, isn't the digital oscillator still under development?

No, it shipped with it. It's just getting oscillator types (and effects) from third party developers. For the Minilogue XD, apparently they've open sourced it so you don't have to vet them through Korg like for the Prologue.

That's what I meant.  In some way, shape, or form, the third oscillator is still being expanded.

I'm not at all opposed to Korg synthesizers.  I've owned two.  I just haven't seen anything yet that would motivate me to choose one over a Sequential instrument.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 08:51:14 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2019, 08:56:56 AM »

Yes, I expected someone would say that.  At first, I was excited about them, but the Prologues now seem like cheap Prophet Rev2s.  Sure, they have some obvious additional features, but also a pitiful paucity of modulation.  On the Sweetwater Specs page, they don't even mention modulation!  Nor have I been impressed with their general tone.  Nor is there a module version.  And I've also read about serious tuning problems in quite a few units.  I quickly crossed the Prologues off my list.

Besides, isn't the digital oscillator still under development?  I prefer completed instruments that can be fully assessed before purchased.  That's one of the reasons I wait for Sequential to finish their OS updates before buying one of their synthesizers.  I'm still patiently waiting for the Rev2 to reach its "perfect" state.

And no aftertouch.