MIDI 2.0

MIDI 2.0
« on: January 19, 2019, 12:11:36 PM »

From the MIDI Association’s website:

Los Angeles, CA, January 18, 2019 – The MIDI Manufacturers Association (MMA) and AMEI (the Japanese MIDI association) have finalized the core features and name for the next generation MIDI protocol: MIDI 2.0. Member companies are currently working together to develop prototypes based on a jointly developed, feature-complete, draft specification. A members-only plugfest to test compatibility between some early MIDI 2.0 prototypes is planned for Winter NAMM 2019. Participating companies include Ableton/Cycling '74, Art+Logic, Bome Software, Google, imitone, Native Instruments, Roland, ROLI, Steinberg, TouchKeys, and Yamaha.

As with MIDI 1.0, AMEI and the MMA are working closely together and sharing code to streamline the prototype development process. Prototyping is planned to continue during 2019 as the associations work together on MIDI 2.0 launch plans, including exploring the development of a MIDI 2.0 logo and self-certification program for MMA and AMEI member companies.

During the prototyping phase, the proposed MIDI 2.0 specification is available only to MMA and AMEI members, because the prototyping process may trigger minor enhancements to the specification. Once a final specification is adopted, it will join the current MIDI specifications as a free download on www.midi.org.

The MIDI 2.0 initiative updates MIDI with auto-configuration, new DAW/web integrations, extended resolution, increased expressiveness, and tighter timing -- all while maintaining a high priority on backward compatibility. This major update of MIDI paves the way for a new generation of advanced interconnected MIDI devices, while still preserving interoperability with the millions of existing MIDI 1.0 devices. One of the core goals of the MIDI 2.0 initiative is to also enhance the MIDI 1.0 feature set whenever possible.

Source: https://www.midi.org/articles-old/the-midi-manufacturers-association-mma-and-the-association-of-music-electronics-industry-amei-announce-midi-2-0tm-prototyping

Further info: https://www.synthtopia.com/content/2019/01/18/midi-2-0-promises-auto-configuration-extended-resolution-tighter-timing-backward-compatibility/
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 12:16:14 PM by Paul Dither »

Shaw

Re: MIDI 2.0
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2019, 12:14:22 PM »
Participating companies include Ableton/Cycling '74, Art+Logic, Bome Software, Google, imitone, Native Instruments, Roland, ROLI, Steinberg, TouchKeys, and Yamaha.
Somebody’s missing....
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2019, 09:10:01 PM »
Participating companies include Ableton/Cycling '74, Art+Logic, Bome Software, Google, imitone, Native Instruments, Roland, ROLI, Steinberg, TouchKeys, and Yamaha.
Somebody’s missing....

Sometime's it's a good idea to step back and let things settle a bit, especially when it comes to standards definitions.
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

Shaw

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2019, 09:56:45 PM »
Somebody’s missing....
Sometime's it's a good idea to step back and let things settle a bit, especially when it comes to standards definitions.
Yeah... I wasn’t criticizing. I was thinking essentially what you said: if Dave’s not on board, it may be because it isn’t fully cooked.
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

DRM

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2019, 01:39:11 AM »
I distinctively remember hearing Dave Smith say on a video that MIDI 1.0 had enough forward-thinking that an update wasn't necessary (because people kept asking for a newer revision), and anything that needs to be done which it can't support can just be done through sysex. And then also to maintain pure backwards compatibility with all of the legacy synths that have gotten popular again.

I definitely feel MIDI 1.0 is good enough for what I need...

"The MIDI 2.0 initiative updates MIDI with auto-configuration, new DAW/web integrations, extended resolution, increased expressiveness, and tighter timing -- all while maintaining a high priority on backward compatibility."

I take it "high priority" on MIDI 1.0 backward compatibility doesn't equate to GUARANTEED MIDI 1.0 backward compatibility. Ah well...
Although if MIDI 2.0 has internet-based capabilities, updated firmware via sysex over the internet could expose your synthesizer to malware or malicious remote firmware updates :0)

I guess Sequential will need to come up with a new product--the Prophet Antivirus Suite 3000, protecting your MIDI 2.0 synthesizers from sysex internet-based viruses. Hahaha.

megamarkd

• One day I will fund a vuvuzela marching band.
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2019, 05:11:28 PM »
Although if MIDI 2.0 has internet-based capabilities, updated firmware via sysex over the internet could expose your synthesizer to malware or malicious remote firmware updates :0)/quote]

On this point, I believe that a company would have to be daft be running firmware updates via streaming from the 'net.  The use updater software as some companies do now is far more controllable in that it validates the update to ensure the code wasn't corrupted somewhere along the line.  Even if such a process were built into the instrument, where it would call home, check for updates, download the update then validate it before installing.  It would all be done via an ssh connection to ensure no snoops.  It's paramount that a user not brick their instrument so as not to have a group of upset users screaming that their instrument was ruined by an update from a business point of view.

DRM

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2019, 05:55:09 AM »
Although if MIDI 2.0 has internet-based capabilities, updated firmware via sysex over the internet could expose your synthesizer to malware or malicious remote firmware updates :0)

On this point, I believe that a company would have to be daft be running firmware updates via streaming from the 'net.  The use updater software as some companies do now is far more controllable in that it validates the update to ensure the code wasn't corrupted somewhere along the line.  Even if such a process were built into the instrument, where it would call home, check for updates, download the update then validate it before installing.  It would all be done via an ssh connection to ensure no snoops.  It's paramount that a user not brick their instrument so as not to have a group of upset users screaming that their instrument was ruined by an update from a business point of view.
Well HP has their PC firmware update over the internet in the UEFI, so it wouldn't be outlandish for a synth manufacturer to do it.

And I mean, something like the MatrixBrute already updates over the internet--you just connect it to your computer (with a valid internet connection) and away it goes with a click of a button (although that's still circling your original point in regards to a software suite doing it versus the synth doing it alone).
https://www.arturia.com/matrixbrute-firmware-update-11
The firmware section (just underneath) indicates the current firmware version and, if you are connected to internet, the latest firmware available.

I have a feeling someone's going to do it at some point :p
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 06:03:53 AM by DRM »

megamarkd

• One day I will fund a vuvuzela marching band.
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2019, 04:37:55 PM »

Well HP has their PC firmware update over the internet in the UEFI, so it wouldn't be outlandish for a synth manufacturer to do it.

And I mean, something like the MatrixBrute already updates over the internet--you just connect it to your computer (with a valid internet connection) and away it goes with a click of a button (although that's still circling your original point in regards to a software suite doing it versus the synth doing it alone).
https://www.arturia.com/matrixbrute-firmware-update-11
The firmware section (just underneath) indicates the current firmware version and, if you are connected to internet, the latest firmware available.

I have a feeling someone's going to do it at some point :p

Yes I am aware how Arturia distribute their firmware via a download from their site, I own many of their devices.  It's installed using a piece of software which uploads it to the instrument.  Even when their software locates a new firmware for your instrument/sequencer, it is first downloaded.  It's not streamed.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 05:25:40 PM by megamarkd »