New To Synthesis Would Love Some Advice

Re: New To Synthesis Would Love Some Advice
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2019, 04:32:37 PM »
It's not just effects and more mod options, it's also waveshaping on all shapes, better keybed, polyphonic step sequencer, OLED display, sub oscillator, more memory, integrated power supply, USB, and no cheap looking overlay. All of which I'd personally say is worth more in difference than three or even four hundred if it's something he's planning on keeping.

There is no question that the Rev 2 is more advanced than the P-08.  Are those advances worth an extra $300-400 in his case?  That's for him to decide.  They're not enough for me to sell my P-08 and buy a Rev 2.  He can probably resell the P-08 for between $800-900.   So, he's not really getting hurt if he decides to upgrade.  He's just paying $300 for the peace of mind to have a factory warranty.  Importantly, none of the Rev 2 advances will help him learn basic synthesis any better or faster.

The P-08 is just a cheaper option to get where he's headed - learning basic synthesis on a DSI synth.   If the few hundred dollars is important to him, it is a viable option.
Jim Thorburn .  Toys-  Dave Smith: Prophet 5, Rev 4; Prophet 08; Pro 2; Prophet 12 module; EastWest Orchestral soft synths; Yamaha S-90; Yamaha Montage 8, Yamaha DX-7; KARP Odyssey; Ensoniq ESQ-1.  All run through a Cubase DAW with a Tascam DM-24 board.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2019, 05:21:28 PM »
Again... if the difference from P08 to REV2 is worth it depends on the needs... I for sure would not be able to produce the bank I just did with a P08... the FX section was used heavily to obtain the timbres, and the modulation matrix has double the amount of slots which is very often used heavily as well... also the variable waveshapes makes a huge difference and the polyphony is crucial for those types of sounds.

But other than that, there is not much difference... but for some, that difference is huge...
If you need me, follow the shadows...

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2019, 08:43:19 PM »
So I ended up buying a synth yesterday. I picked up a Korg Monologue to learn on. It cost me 270$ and I figured if I ever get rid of it or decide it’s not for me I won’t lose much. But I gotta say so far it’s a blast and in just 2 days I actually learned a decent amount. Plus the built in sequencer is really fun to play with. I think I made the sensible choice for my abilities at the moment. I think this will help me along the way when I decide to make my first big purchase. I don’t see myself giving this hobby up, it’s already becoming addicting and I know soon enough I’ll probably be adding another piece.

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2019, 09:46:03 PM »
Congratulations! ;D  I think the Monologue was a smart move.  It has all the basics and its setup is pretty user friendly.  Once you get that axe under your belt, it will be far easier to get into one of the more complex synths. 

I'd love to follow what you learn.  Make sure to make some recordings of your journey and post them to the new music thread. 
Jim Thorburn .  Toys-  Dave Smith: Prophet 5, Rev 4; Prophet 08; Pro 2; Prophet 12 module; EastWest Orchestral soft synths; Yamaha S-90; Yamaha Montage 8, Yamaha DX-7; KARP Odyssey; Ensoniq ESQ-1.  All run through a Cubase DAW with a Tascam DM-24 board.