8dio compiler problem

8dio compiler problem
« on: January 18, 2019, 10:35:42 AM »
I'm experiencing an odd problem when try to run the 8dio compiler on a Windoze 10 laptop. I can import the wave files (i.e. 7 samples), map them using the Auto function but when I try to export them to a folder (px) the compiler starts the export process but the appears to hang (panel message says unresponsive). I then have to close the app to exit. If I look at the resulting file structure; px/u00/ambience etc. it appears to contain the encrypted zip file with the wave samples and also another folder which contains some (but not all) of the original wave files.

Another rather odd thing is that if I restrict the sample mapping to just three wave samples it completed the process correctly with no issues. Any number above 3 and it fails.

The laptop I'm using is a reasonably spec'd machine; i7, 8GB memory, 1TB SSD with a standard Windows 10 installation (I've done the obvious things like turning off anti-virus etc.). When using the same samples on a MacBook the mapping process works OK irrespective of the number of samples.

I've raised the problem 8dio support but they have not been able to replicate the same and suggest the issue is with my machine and Windows set. Before I start 'pulling' my Windows installation apart I'm keen to find out if any others have had any similar issues with the compiler and Windows 10.

Any comments or thoughts would be appreciated.

Re: 8dio compiler problem
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2019, 06:49:51 AM »
I'm experiencing an odd problem when try to run the 8dio compiler on a Windoze 10 laptop. I can import the wave files (i.e. 7 samples), map them using the Auto function but when I try to export them to a folder (px) the compiler starts the export process but the appears to hang (panel message says unresponsive). I then have to close the app to exit. If I look at the resulting file structure; px/u00/ambience etc. it appears to contain the encrypted zip file with the wave samples and also another folder which contains some (but not all) of the original wave files.

Another rather odd thing is that if I restrict the sample mapping to just three wave samples it completed the process correctly with no issues. Any number above 3 and it fails.

The laptop I'm using is a reasonably spec'd machine; i7, 8GB memory, 1TB SSD with a standard Windows 10 installation (I've done the obvious things like turning off anti-virus etc.). When using the same samples on a MacBook the mapping process works OK irrespective of the number of samples.

I've raised the problem 8dio support but they have not been able to replicate the same and suggest the issue is with my machine and Windows set. Before I start 'pulling' my Windows installation apart I'm keen to find out if any others have had any similar issues with the compiler and Windows 10.

An update on my Windows 10 and 8dio compiler issue.

The problem is a conflict with Acronis True Image and it's Active Protection feature:

The problem with the compiler going into an unresponsive mode when exporting is due to a conflict with the Acronis True Image protection program (2108 version). When the feature ‘Active Protection’ is turned on the compiler crashes etc. When the feature is turned off the complier completes the export process correctly. The problem has been verified on two independant Windows 10 / Acronis systems

I have fed back to 8dio support. Given Acronis is a world wide program used by millions I would think that 8dio need to look at ther compiler coding!

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2020, 02:53:17 PM »
Well you get further than me, I find the application just crashes when starting, so I've never been able to use it!
Prophet X, Korg Modwave, Wavestate, Novation Summit, Microfreak, B2600, Akai Force, Skulpt, Uno Pro, Ableton Live and some modular

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2020, 05:43:47 PM »
Have you tried PXToolkit as an alternative to the official utility?

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2020, 02:51:32 PM »
Yes I have used PXtoolkit with some success. Not an issue with the tool (many thanks for that) just issues with some of the source samples and need several retries with USB drives before they work.
Stunned how clucky this all is though, I'd expected a Sequential branded app which connects over usb wire. But I'm new to all this!
Prophet X, Korg Modwave, Wavestate, Novation Summit, Microfreak, B2600, Akai Force, Skulpt, Uno Pro, Ableton Live and some modular