Eowave Ribbon 2 with Rev2

Eowave Ribbon 2 with Rev2
« on: January 18, 2019, 09:32:33 AM »
Hey guys,

I'm searching a ribbon controller for my Rev2, I only found Eowave ribbon 2.
But no midi 5 pin on it, only cv/gate output.
Do you think it will be compatible with the Rev2?

maxter

Re: Eowave Ribbon 2 with Rev2
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2019, 01:24:45 PM »
Hey guys,

I'm searching a ribbon controller for my Rev2, I only found Eowave ribbon 2.
But no midi 5 pin on it, only cv/gate output.
Do you think it will be compatible with the Rev2?

No, I don't think it will be compatible. Unless you find a really good CV-MIDI converter, but I don't think it would work too well, and those converters are not so cheap (for being a one-trick pony). There used to be the Doepfer R2M which is really good, but it seems hard to find nowadays. Otherwise that one would've been the best solution in your case, I think. With both MIDI (14-bit pitch bend) and CV (gate, pitch and pressure), it works with most synths in one way or another.
The Way the Truth and the Life

maxter

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2019, 01:41:49 PM »
Came to think of an alternate solution I used once upon a time (before I got the R2M), a standard softpot ribbon (which is what most of these ribbon controllers are made of anyhow) soldered onto the Korg Monotribe in place of its usual small ribbon. You don't get pressure sensitivity, but the MIDI pitch bend is 14-bit at least so that part works as good as the R2M.

A fun fact, there are also 100cm softpot ribbons manufactured, compared to the standard 50cm!  ;D You can have 8 octaves and still have very smooth and fine pitch control...
The Way the Truth and the Life

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2019, 03:25:40 PM »
I went through this search a while back and didn't come up with anything either. Nothing currently in production it seems.
 I kind of settled on just using my iPad with Lemur since I already had it.  Your best bet might be something like a Linnstrument or similiar instrument controller with slide functionality.
I did just find this though.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1605483632/continuumini
Prophet Rev2, SonicCore Xite-1,CP300,CS5,SK20

timboréale

• MIDI nerd
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2019, 07:09:01 AM »
If you're not married to the idea of a ribbon *per se* then the Expressive-E Touché is a fantastic controller for exactly that sort of thing and is highly responsive and glides similarly to a ribbon. It gives you two axes of control and you can split up/down into two additional zones giving you up to four different parameters easily and precisely controlled on a given surface. I don't have one and am not affiliated with them, but I'm seriously considering getting one.
Prophet 6 keyboard, Rev2-16, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Nords, etc...

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2019, 07:56:57 AM »
Thank you guys for your answers and tips :)
The touché is really interesting but the midi version is quite expensive, and the Deopfer R2M as Maxter noticed is hard to find these days...
Well, for now I set my pitch wheel at 12 semitones for some glissando effect... I'll keep looking