OB6 vs Prophet 6

Re: OB6 vs Prophet 6
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2016, 10:46:15 PM »
I have received my OB-6 and have played with it for a couple of evenings. It's a damn fine synth! Both in looks and in sound. I have it stacked on top of my Prophet-6. They both sound great alone but really excel together. I regard them almost as one instrument with two different flavours. They are similar enough to integrate easily but still pleasantly different. I've read the Prophet-6 described as a clear wall of sound while the OB-6 is more dreamy and fuzzy. I think that is an excellent description. Those flavours really complement each other.

I don't see the point in someone selling the Prophet-6 to get the OB-6, unless absolutely sure about the sound. For the moment I actually prefer the tone of the Prophet-6 if I could only have one. But that might change as the OB-6 grows on me. The OB-6 seems to have more potential for fun. Also, for poly chaining either I would prefer to chain two Prophet-6s to extend its powerful wall of sound. 12 voices of that would just be insane. I think the OB-6 would not benefit as much from poly chaining. But I have much to learn and discover with this pair. They both sound and feel so alive compared to contemporary synths!

Hi Kim Sand link,

Congratulations on your OB-6 !

Do you think the OB-6 is slightly better suited for producing warm, lush Pad sounds compared to the Prophet 6 ?   

I have the Prophet 6, and some of the OB-6 pad demos sound warmer, more lush and interesting to my ears than the Prophet 6 Pads.  Would you agree on this  ?

I plan to add the OB-6 (Desktop model), when it becomes available later this year.

Thanks,
Muziksculp

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2016, 09:56:07 AM »
I would say it's the opposite having both here. The P6 is the one thats definitely 'warmer' as it has more low mid thickness and presence. The OB6 is more aggressive. Not that its cold, far from it, but the 12db filter has a totally different character that makes it have a more of a strong texture- the P6 can blend more easily whilst the OB always makes its presence felt, even on more subtle sounds. The nature of the filter means that pads in particular always contain more high end even when the filter is closed a little in LPF mode.

Shaw

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2016, 03:45:02 PM »
Hi Kim Sand link,

Do you think the OB-6 is slightly better suited for producing warm, lush Pad sounds compared to the Prophet 6 ?   

I have the Prophet 6, and some of the OB-6 pad demos sound warmer, more lush and interesting to my ears than the Prophet 6 Pads.  Would you agree on this  ?

I plan to add the OB-6 (Desktop model), when it becomes available later this year.

Thanks,
Muziksculp

Musziksculp,

I'd disagree and say that the OB-6 is warmer -- the warmest of the DSI synths. By warmer, I don't mean lowest pitch.  You can have FM bass tones that are nothing but bass yet sterile as hell (as well they are supposed to be). 

Warmer is that analogue sound that combines lots of factors -- but primarily it is the multitude of minute imperfections in the analogue signal chain that just make the sound more "alive".  By that measure, the OB-6 really hits the mark.  By no means am I taking away from the P6, she is a wonderfully creative beast.

Cheers.
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2016, 07:17:04 PM »
Hi Kim Sand link,

Thanks,
Muziksculp

Musziksculp,

I'd disagree and say that the OB-6 is warmer -- the warmest of the DSI synths. By warmer, I don't mean lowest pitch.  You can have FM bass tones that are nothing but bass yet sterile as hell (as well they are supposed to be). 

Warmer is that analogue sound that combines lots of factors -- but primarily it is the multitude of minute imperfections in the analogue signal chain that just make the sound more "alive".  By that measure, the OB-6 really hits the mark.  By no means am I taking away from the P6, she is a wonderfully creative beast.

Cheers.

Hi Shaw,

That is the kind of feedback I'm reading on other Forums as well. Basically, that the OB-6 has a more 'Alive and Warmer' (Kind of that Fuzzy-Analog) sound when compared with the Prophet 6.

I already have the Prophet 6, and plan to purchase the OB-6 when it is available in Desktop Model. (Don't need another keyboard in my studio).

Actually, I do hear that unique OB-6 warm, fuzzy-analog quality in some of the videos, which I don't think the Prophet 6 is able to do, especially in the Pads/Strings, which did get my attention. I think the P6 and OB-6 will complement each other very nicely.

Thanks,
Muziksculp

Shaw

« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2016, 08:03:24 PM »
Hi Shaw,

That is the kind of feedback I'm reading on other Forums as well. Basically, that the OB-6 has a more 'Alive and Warmer' (Kind of that Fuzzy-Analog) sound when compared with the Prophet 6.

I already have the Prophet 6, and plan to purchase the OB-6 when it is available in Desktop Model. (Don't need another keyboard in my studio).

Actually, I do hear that unique OB-6 warm, fuzzy-analog quality in some of the videos, which I don't think the Prophet 6 is able to do, especially in the Pads/Strings, which did get my attention. I think the P6 and OB-6 will complement each other very nicely.

Thanks,
Muziksculp

You're going to be quite happy with the 2 of them side by side, they are complimentary indeed.

Cheers!
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2016, 12:06:10 AM »
Hi Shaw,

Thanks,
Muziksculp

You're going to be quite happy with the 2 of them side by side, they are complimentary indeed.

Cheers!

Thanks for the feedback. 

Yes, I think so too. I'm very excited, and looking forward to add the OB-6 Desktop to my setup.

Cheers,
Muziksculp

« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2016, 09:56:54 PM »
I just went through the process of choosing between these synths and want to re-iterate a few points from above.

Firstly, the only real way to pick which one is best is to try the two out for oneself. “Warmer” is pretty subjective; I find the Prophet warmer myself, and plenty analog. But I wouldn’t recommend anyone spend $3,000 based on my choice of adjectives any more than I’d recommend they do so based on someone’s up-thread.

I do however believe that the Prophet 6 and OB-6 are pretty true to VCO-based Sequential Circuits and Oberheim synths respectively. If you prefer classic synths by one brand over the other, you can pretty much guess which one you’ll choose here. My strongest association with Oberheim is the Matrix 6 which was one of my first synths. The OB-6 is a way better synth, but I liked and disliked all the same parts of the OB-6 as I did the Matrix (love the synth choir pads and basses, kind of ambivalent about many of the simpler sounds).

Mind you, I had listened to all the demos and was ready to buy the OB-6, but sitting for 1-2 hours and playing one after the other, I really was far more drawn into the Prophet. For me I was looking for a very solid go-to synth. The Prophet was more like the sort of synth I’d try first when I needed a synth part, while the OB was more the thing I’d look to for certain purposes, or for something a little different.

Again, that’s my taste, and you really can’t go wrong with either. But do whatever you can to play them first, if possible, because it’s the best way to know what’s right for you.

Shaw

« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2016, 10:04:40 PM »
I just went through the process of choosing between these synths and want to re-iterate a few points from above.

Firstly, the only real way to pick which one is best is to try the two out for oneself. “Warmer” is pretty subjective; I find the Prophet warmer myself, and plenty analog. But I wouldn’t recommend anyone spend $3,000 based on my choice of adjectives any more than I’d recommend they do so based on someone’s up-thread.

I do however believe that the Prophet 6 and OB-6 are pretty true to VCO-based Sequential Circuits and Oberheim synths respectively. If you prefer classic synths by one brand over the other, you can pretty much guess which one you’ll choose here. My strongest association with Oberheim is the Matrix 6 which was one of my first synths. The OB-6 is a way better synth, but I liked and disliked all the same parts of the OB-6 as I did the Matrix (love the synth choir pads and basses, kind of ambivalent about many of the simpler sounds).

Mind you, I had listened to all the demos and was ready to buy the OB-6, but sitting for 1-2 hours and playing one after the other, I really was far more drawn into the Prophet. For me I was looking for a very solid go-to synth. The Prophet was more like the sort of synth I’d try first when I needed a synth part, while the OB was more the thing I’d look to for certain purposes, or for something a little different.

Again, that’s my taste, and you really can’t go wrong with either. But do whatever you can to play them first, if possible, because it’s the best way to know what’s right for you.

+1 -- Well said

« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2016, 10:24:33 PM »

This can't be emphasized enough.

Despite that, I share your preference. I'm amazed though by how quickly the Prophet-6 became sort of overshadowed by the OB-6 - at least in terms of seemingly popular perception.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 10:29:00 PM by Paul Dither »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2016, 07:52:52 AM »
And don't be surprised if the same thing happens to the OB-6 as soon as DSI comes out with the next new synthesizer.  Around and around it goes. 

I'd like to put in a good word for sticking with one instrument, fairly mastering it, drawing out from it what you can, and letting all the new instrument hype swirl around, without getting pulled into it or distracted by it.  There's plenty of temptation for the synthesist to be constantly jumping at the latest new products, familiarizing himself or herself with its features, and producing only instrument demos, rather than actual matured pieces of music. 
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 08:26:45 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

Shaw

« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2016, 08:15:27 AM »
And don't be surprised if the same thing happens to the OB-6 as soon as DSI comes out with the next new synthesizer.  Around and around it goes. 

I'd like to put in a good word for sticking with one instrument, fairly mastering it, drawing out from it what you can, and letting all the new instrument hype swirl around, without getting distracted by it from making music.

Also well said....       +1

« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2016, 09:10:47 PM »
Yeah, the OB-6 being newest and an unusual collaboration, it’s no surprise people are excited. I’m sure the hype is cyclical, but even when it quiets down with the next DSI poly, I bet both these synths will be desired long beyond when they stop getting manufactured.

+1 to the idea of buying a synth, whatever it is, and learning it inside out. The great thing with P-6 or OB-6 is that their parameters are so accessible that it’s much easier to learn and grow with them. More menu-laden synths encourage me to stick closer to presets, where I enjoy just setting the P-6 to default and programming sounds from scratch.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2016, 04:00:54 PM »
I'm amazed though by how quickly the Prophet-6 became sort of overshadowed by the OB-6 - at least in terms of seemingly popular perception.

And now, new Ob-6 demos have also slowed to a trickle.  I'm always waiting for the hype over each new instrument to pass and finally mature into serious compositions and performances.  Hopefully, both the P-6 and OB-6 will soon reappear as musical instruments to be played, rather than as toys to be demonstrated.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 04:06:15 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2016, 04:06:08 PM »
I'm amazed though by how quickly the Prophet-6 became sort of overshadowed by the OB-6 - at least in terms of seemingly popular perception.

And now, new Ob-6 demos have also slowed to a trickle.  I'm always waiting for the hype over each new instrument to pass and finally mature into serious compositions and performances.  Hopefully, both the P-6 and OB-6 will reappear soon as instruments to be played, rather than merely demonstrated.

People are getting ready for the Minimoog reissue.  ;D

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2016, 04:07:25 PM »
Does that mean they're already selling their P-6s and OB-6s?  :o
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 04:39:21 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2016, 04:11:10 PM »
Does that mean they're selling their already P-6s and OB-6s?  :o

The OB-6 has been available since March already - it's almost vintage by now. So yeah, away with it.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2016, 04:40:39 PM »
 As soon as those little strips of clear plastic are peeled off the black keys, it's more or less vintage.  ;D

« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2016, 12:57:30 AM »
The factory sounds are excellent, I got totally stuck on patch 07 (then realised it is one of mine!)
Haha. That was the sound that really grabbed me when I got to demo one in a store recently. So much so that I noted down all the settings (thanks for adding that dot to the display DSI) and recreated it on my P6 at home.

Overall I really liked the OB-6, although it sounded very '80s to my ears. I think I prefer the P6 but if the British public hadn't voted to screw the economy >:( I'd probably be looking out for a desktop OB-6.

« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2017, 03:55:53 AM »
I simply cannot decide between the two, and the amount of time I've spent going back and forth, reading reviews and watching demos is pretty silly now!  :o

I've played them both briefly in stores, but never side by side. Don't think I'll get that opportunity soon.

I don't know what the point of this post is. Wish I could have them both!

« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2017, 08:40:33 AM »
I simply cannot decide between the two, and the amount of time I've spent going back and forth, reading reviews and watching demos is pretty silly now!  :o

I've played them both briefly in stores, but never side by side. Don't think I'll get that opportunity soon.

I don't know what the point of this post is. Wish I could have them both!

You can get both filters in the Pro-2!
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000