OB6 vs Prophet 6

OB6 vs Prophet 6
« on: February 19, 2016, 08:38:06 AM »
I own the Prophet 6 and love it. I went nuts when I heard about the OB-6, and preordered immediately. Now listening to comparisons (only hearing OB-6 from internet videos) the OB-6 sounds fantastic, but the two synths are sounding very much alike to me. I know they have a lot of different things under the hood, but I'm wondering if anyone has opinions if they are different enough to justify the purchase and owning both? Sounds like much of what the OB-6 can do could be recreated not exactly but very similarly on the Prophet 6. Any thoughts are much appreciated.

LeVo

Re: OB6 vs Prophet 6
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 01:32:43 PM »
There very similar imo too....

The comparison video I seen recently shown there similarities in basic tone but that could have told a lot more if some proper Gainstaging of compared sounds had been considered (from the point where he comments on how hot OB can get when pushed into the filter there not comparible imo) also curious if that huge level difference (he says he needs to back off OB about half way to match P6) is an intended analog thing or something that can change with an OS? Also matching sequences would have been more honest than having bum notes on one and not the other (always on the p6 I think) !! All that ads to a perception of one being better (louder is perceived as better etc and feeds the trolls)

All that said I'm yet to hear huge differences to justify me having both, unles you can chain them 8) then I'm in. I think They sound similar enough for this to work well and I'll guess they work very similar inside too. But don't know.

I hope so as I am kind of ever so slightly gutted I never knew about OB6 as I dont know now which one id have chosen (being so similar)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 02:24:03 PM by LeVo »

LeVo

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 02:12:24 PM »
- Pads on OB do seems slightly smudgy/smeared in the mids (nice for pads) compared to a clearer direct tone in the p6 (more string like) but this could totally be fx and I think a phaser (OB fx) would do this. Conversely the difference in fx could be a problem in poly chaining.... Probably need to keep em dry.

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2016, 09:49:28 PM »
There are not really any useful comparisons online, but from what I've heard in the demos, the OB-6 sounds pretty different from the Prophet-6, basically just as much as the classic Oberheims (OB-8 and/or OB-X) sounded different from the Prophet-5. To me it seems as if the OB-6 fills the frequency spectrum that can make the Prophets sound brassy at times (you mentioned above that the mids appear to be less pronounced on the Prophet). And then they have totally different filters that will in turn respond different to any sort of modulation. I too was somewhat skeptic in the beginning, but after having listened to all those OB-6 demos out there, I think those two are basically built to complement each other.

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2016, 01:17:35 AM »
I think staged comparisons have limited usefulness. The aim there is to get something to sound as close as possible to something else. Usually by reverting to basic tones. I do not intend to use an OB-6 to emulate a Prophet 6 (or an OB-X for that matter). I am far more interested in what the OB-6 sounds like on its own, as an instrument, used to its full extent.

The audio path is different (oscillators, filters, gain etc), so the OB-6 is bound to behave differently to the Prophet 6, when programmed and played dynamically. But it will probably sound closer to the Prophet 6 than to a vintage synth with totally different electronics. Expecting a vastly different sound character compared to the Prophet 6 is probably unrealistic. But I like the sound of the Prophet 6. More of the same with a different flavour and different options is a good thing. That should make them easier to integrate sonically, and easier to use interchangeably.

What I miss most from the Prophet 6 is not a different sound but more options, more voices and more octaves. I was considering two Prophet 6s, but an OB-6 is likely a much better companion. It means losing poly chaining, but that is a hassle compared to having more onboard voices anyway. I regard the Prophet 6 + OB-6 as a single two-keyboard (organ style), multitimbral, polyphonic setup.

LeVo

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2016, 03:34:37 AM »
To me it seems as if the OB-6 fills the frequency spectrum that can make the Prophets sound brassy at times (you mentioned above that the mids appear to be less pronounced on the Prophet) And then they have totally different filters that will in turn respond different to any sort of modulation.

I think those two are basically built to complement each other.

Fair points. Just not sure how much of the differences I hear are from different the effects as the best and most different pad patches I've heard are pretty wet.

- I meant the prophet had more pronounced mids tho whereas OB a bit more smudgy. Could totally be the different fx the OB has.

Thing is I hear quite a big difference between vintage prophet and oberheims (maybe I'm comparing the wrong ones) but also it could totally just be the programming. The difference for now between the new ones I'll probably not realise till I try myself. Nord A1 can do the round warm pads all day and then some but I'd potential let that go for an OB 6 if I can't get over the gas. :)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 03:36:43 AM by LeVo »

LeVo

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2016, 04:10:30 AM »
I think staged comparisons have limited usefulness. The aim there is to get something to sound as close as possible to something else. Usually by reverting to basic tones. I do not intend to use an OB-6 to emulate a Prophet 6 (or an OB-X for that matter). I am far more interested in what the OB-6 sounds like on its own, as an instrument, used to its full extent"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The difference in the comparison was to compare the 2, so playing bum notes and having one sound thicker because it was driven has limited usefulness I'll agree.

How would you compare without hearing similar patches....

Surely there needs to be a big sonic difference to decide wether or not they cover the same ground.

Obviously this doesn't matter if you just want another synth to explore similar territories but for the time being, I'd need a bit more to justify it. Not that I don't want it to be justified. :)

Lots of the programmed on sounds I can hear in my p6 (it ain't night and day)

I dont think I considered the originals sounded similar till now (do they to you?) but that could be my perception (and the programs I've heard)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The audio path is different (oscillators, filters, gain etc), so the OB-6 is bound to behave differently to the Prophet 6, when programmed and played dynamically. But it will probably sound closer to the Prophet 6 than to a vintage synth with totally different electronics. Expecting a vastly different sound character compared to the Prophet 6 is probably unrealistic."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not really interested in comparing to vintage, just between the 2 and if it's unrealistic they sound very different it begs the question do I need this. :)
Im yet to hear enough to outright say "yes my music needs both" but I've heard enough to make me wonder which I prefer.... Like the PO I guess.

There different synths - so to me a comparison should highlight these without any doubt in order for me to know i need both and it isn't gas. To do that you need to be accurate.

It's not obtuse to thoroughly compare these i don't think.... Not like comparing a nord to a vintage synth etc or a virus.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What I miss most from the Prophet 6 is not a different sound but more options, more voices and more octaves. I was considering two Prophet 6s, but an OB-6 is likely a much better companion. It means losing poly chaining, but that is a hassle compared to having more onboard voices anyway. I regard the Prophet 6 + OB-6 as a single two-keyboard (organ style), multitimbral, polyphonic setup.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

sounds like your pretty much sold mate.... if your thinking of buying 2 prophets anyway and it's not the Extra voices your after OB 6 is an obvious choice for the flavour :)

« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 04:24:50 AM by LeVo »

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2016, 07:02:06 AM »
The comparison that matters to me is getting my hands on an OB-6 and using my knowledge from the Prophet 6 to see what sounds I can coax out of it. If it feels just like a Prophet 6 that would be kind of a disappointment. I would then be more inclined to get a second Prophet 6 instead for the poly chain. But statements from those with hands-on experience generally indicate that the two sound different in a significant way. Given the difference in components I would be surprised if they sound/feel too similar. But I expect that either could be programmed to sound quite close to the other, at least for a certain range of sounds. Just like a virtual analog can get quite close to a real analog with proper programming. But in my experience it is less effort to get the "right" sound on the analog. Similarly I expect some sounds to come more naturally on one or the other.

As for the OB-6 being justified for an owner of a Prophet 6, that is mostly a personal price/value consideration. Sound wise I think it is justified. But it is twice the expense and twice the space needed. A hypothetical 8 voice, dual filter (Pro 2 style), 5 octave Prophet/OB hybrid would likely be cheaper and easier to justify, but that does not exist, and might not come into existence. A Modal 008 is cheaper than a Prophet 6 + OB-6, but I like the Prophet 6. And unless going modular or vintage, there is not much else to choose from for the next year at least. So for me it is justified. Even if a dream synth comes out in a year I will already have a great setup.

I really look forward to playing bass lines on one while doing leads/chords on the other, without running out of octaves or voices. Doing bass notes on the other keyboard frees up 1-2 voices for the chords. And imagine the power chords possible using both keyboards, layered or octave shifted. Also I'm very eager to dig into the state variable filter, the formant-like voices and the configurable PWM (oscillator 1 OR 2).
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 07:18:32 AM by Kim Sand »

LeVo

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2016, 07:37:17 AM »
All fair comments.

I know I won't know until I try and by then I'll have enough experience with the P to know for sure.

All good tho.... Still Looking forward to a genuine comparison as trying em out is usually a case of getting a 30 day money back guarantee which isn't ideal sometimes.

Can't just go off programmed patches and online demos, I need to hear the basics.... the main difference with the best sounds I've heard seem to be because of the new fx. Obviously could be well wrong. x

Cheers
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 07:40:29 AM by LeVo »

LoboLives

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2016, 10:23:33 AM »
I prefer the Prophet 6. I just find the OB-6 lacks it's own identity. It's just an Oberheim sound in a Prophet 6 body. May as well wait for the OB-6 Desktop.

Plus the OB-6 is a major disappointment. The OBX series could have 8 voices and could do splits and layers so it's difficult to get excited for a 6 voice synth with no splits or layers. They could have done so much more and frankly they should have. I'd sooner get an Tom Oberheim Two Voice Pro than an OB-6. The sequencer alone on that thing trumps any sequencer on any of the DSI gear.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2016, 11:02:01 AM »
We have to look at these instruments, not as re-issues, but as new instruments influenced by old instruments.  The OB-6, even though it falls far short of an OBX, can still be a superb synthesizer in its own right.  The same is true with the Prophet-6. 

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2016, 01:05:39 PM »
From another OB-6 owner:

"Ok first evening w mine. No time to record a video. But the OB6 FAR exceeds expectations!

1. The presets are GOOD. REALLY good. Several stunners. And I've only been through the first 2 banks.

2. It's a bass monster. Significantly more so than the Prophet 6 IMO.

3. It can growl like an OB should. Signature sound/tone.

4. It sounds significantly different than a Prophet 6. Not subtle. VERY different. If you have a Prophet 6 already, you probably want to keep it and get an OB6. If you are choosing between the two...play them first! They don't overlap. The P6 is "cleaner". The OB6 is "creamy" and "raspy".

5. Love the knobs versus the P6, or the P12. They are chunkier. Easy to grab.

6. The filter makes all the difference here. So much diversity. An even resonance which doesn't attenuate the signal it effects. The notch buzzes gloriously.

7. The "Detune" perhaps sounds better than the "Slop" on the P6. Or maybe the Oscillators sound better with it. Either way, much more natural and vintage-analog sounding.

8. Some of the presets make sensational use of the dual bbg delays in very creative ways. Inspirational!

9. Envelopes are quite snappy. Or conversely very slow climbs and falls.

10. The synth has lots of gain. It's a hot signal. Thank God for the separate patch volume.

11. The front panel is much more legible than the P6. And the layout is more logical. Having the effects to the right side for example follows the signal flow better.

I'm only scratching the surface here. Just a few hours with it. I know it's honeymoon stage. But I'm getting instant gratification in a way I didn't w the P6. And I love my P6!!! So that's really saying something. I have the P6, P12, and now OB6, and the are very different, and compliment each other well. But the OB shines above. It's hard to put into words. But you just hear it as soon as u play and tweak. It's special."

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2016, 01:09:13 PM »
Thanks for the quick insight! And yes, I reckoned a while ago that it's not really a question of whether one should have a Prophet-6 or an OB-6, but rather both if possible.

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2016, 01:11:34 AM »
I agree the OB-6 sounds different to all the other DSI synths.
Also it is very loud, jumps out of the speakers when you crank the res.

The factory sounds are excellent, I got totally stuck on patch 07 (then realised it is one of mine!)
The keyboard itself has lovely action and the aftertouch response is just right.

The effects are really good, even with limited editing options it is just so damn convenient to have them built in. I can't imagine needing to us eternal effects much.

The knob caps are great and the production model has dots which the demo unit did not. Very useful.
I am really enamoured with the OB-6.

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2016, 06:04:28 PM »
  The two boards sound very different.  I actually find the ob6 to be much clearer and more brilliant sounding while the p6 is more dense and creamy.  Kind of like ob6 is API and P6 is Neve.  Better yet, ob6 is jazz bass and p6 is P bass!  I bought both!

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2016, 07:43:59 PM »
There's some overlap. But as far as that goes, the P-6 and the OB-6 are honoring their legacies quite nicely. If you go searching for the sonic differences, you'll find them. If you just need big ballsy analog, there's plenty of that on offer from either instrument.

e

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2016, 06:56:56 PM »

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2016, 08:06:12 AM »
I have received my OB-6 and have played with it for a couple of evenings. It's a damn fine synth! Both in looks and in sound. I have it stacked on top of my Prophet-6. They both sound great alone but really excel together. I regard them almost as one instrument with two different flavours. They are similar enough to integrate easily but still pleasantly different. I've read the Prophet-6 described as a clear wall of sound while the OB-6 is more dreamy and fuzzy. I think that is an excellent description. Those flavours really complement each other.

I don't see the point in someone selling the Prophet-6 to get the OB-6, unless absolutely sure about the sound. For the moment I actually prefer the tone of the Prophet-6 if I could only have one. But that might change as the OB-6 grows on me. The OB-6 seems to have more potential for fun. Also, for poly chaining either I would prefer to chain two Prophet-6s to extend its powerful wall of sound. 12 voices of that would just be insane. I think the OB-6 would not benefit as much from poly chaining. But I have much to learn and discover with this pair. They both sound and feel so alive compared to contemporary synths!

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2016, 07:54:34 AM »
The OB6 sound appeals to me as it seems slightly less tightly regulated than the P6. When you play chords, the voices have a pleasant movement to them compared to the P6, and this is probably due to the oscillator design. Plus that 2-pole notch filter sounds lovely, and makes a nice alternative to the usual 4-pole low-pass sound.

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2016, 07:12:35 AM »
Maybe it is something in my audio interface but I found that the sawtooth oscillators have different ramps between the P-6 and OB-6. I do not remember which of them is inverted and which is not but if you set up a simple 1 oscillator  sawtooth patch on both with slight detuning and play the simultaneously you get the same type of PWM that you get on the Minimoog. Maybe an obscure trick but one I found interesting, nonetheless.