Polyphonic Aftertouch

jconway3

• Rev 2, Pro 2 & OB6
Polyphonic Aftertouch
« on: January 10, 2019, 02:55:50 PM »
Do you guys know of a controller keyboard that has polyphonic aftertouch and secondly does the OB6 respond to polyphonic aftertouch

Re: Polyphonic Aftertouch
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 07:50:50 PM »
Do you guys know of a controller keyboard that has polyphonic aftertouch and secondly does the OB6 respond to polyphonic aftertouch

It does respond to it:

For a controller, there's not a lot out there. There are the MPE controllers, which aren't the same thing, like the Roli and the Linnstrument, but for regular polyphonic aftertouch, the most affordable thing I've found is a 90s era Ensoniq synth like the VFX. You can pick those up for $200-400 and get 61 notes. The SQ-80 has it, but it is really clacky and prone to failure.

You can try for a Kurzweil Midiboard, but they're kind of rare and super heavy. And I think the Roland A-80 has it.

If I had no monetary or space considerations, I'd get a Sequential Circuits T-8. That's been one of the best feeling keyboards ever and the poly aftertouch made it come alive.
Prophet 12, Modal 002, MFB Dominion 1, Behringer DeepMind 12D, Korg Polysix & EX-8000, Roland JX-8P, Ensoniq SQ-80, Kawai K3m and now an OB-6!

jconway3

• Rev 2, Pro 2 & OB6
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 09:55:22 PM »
Thank very much for your brilliant reply. I did see a Roland A80 for sale recently on eBay. I’ll keep an eye out for the other suggestions. A T8 would be incredible but I fear unlikely 😁
Perhaps Sequential could team up with their keybed supplier who I think is Fatar, and put out a 76/88 Sequential branded model. I realise again unlikely but it would also satisfy the people who would prefer more than 49 note on the P6 and OB6.
Just an idea 💡
Thanks again

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 08:26:34 AM »
Unfortunately I think Fatar doesn't have any poly-aftertouch keybeds (or at least that's what I've seen claimed on other boards when this topic has come up). My guess is people who want that will end up getting an MPE controller in future, now that it's a standard. That takes a bit of technique adjustment to play, though.
Prophet 12, Modal 002, MFB Dominion 1, Behringer DeepMind 12D, Korg Polysix & EX-8000, Roland JX-8P, Ensoniq SQ-80, Kawai K3m and now an OB-6!

eXode

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 11:48:20 PM »
There's the ELKA MK88, and ELKA MK55 Master Keyboards. They can occasionally be found second hand. They don't have any controls to speak of, so if pots and faders are a must then you can disregard them.

There's also some of the old Ensoniq synth/samplers that can be found pretty cheap that actually have polyphonic aftertouch. SQ-80 and VFX are two that come to mind. But again if controls are important they may not be the way to go.

jconway3

• Rev 2, Pro 2 & OB6
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2019, 06:53:18 AM »
Thanks I’ll get an eye out for those. I don’t need anything more than a keyboard as I’ve got a few other controllers for more general use. I just though it would be nice to try polyphonic aftertouch. It’s so effective on instruments like the Yamaha CS80

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2019, 01:49:54 AM »
Many Ensoniq synthesizers have poly-aftertouch. They can often be bought cheaply (used), and the synths sound pretty cool too. Poly pressure came standard on the SQ-80, EPS/EPS16+, VFX/VFX-SD, SD1, TS-10, probably others.

Don't buy one without trying it first. These are older keyboards. The pressure sensitivity might need adjustment, and the SQ-80 is known for developing an annoyingly clacky keyboard due to hardening of little internal rubber bushings.

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2019, 06:36:06 PM »
Has anyone tried controlling the OB-6 with a Roli Rise (Seaboard)?
DSI OB-6, Nord Electro 3HP & 6HP, Roland SoundCanvas SC55mkii, Beatstep Pro, KeyStep, Roland SE-02, MPD18 (+mpcstuff), Roland TD-4 V-drums, Fender-Rhodes Stage MK1, Reaper, plus dozens of acoustic instruments

LoboLives

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2019, 06:58:58 PM »
I’m shocked more synth companies don’t have ribbon controllers anymore. I figured an MPE supported ribbon controller above the keyboard would give a nice combination of playing styles. Chords on the keyboard with the left hand while the lead is played with the ribbon controller.

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2019, 09:51:12 PM »

It does respond to it:

For a controller, ... the most affordable thing I've found is a 90s era Ensoniq synth like the VFX. You can pick those up for $200-400 and get 61 notes. The SQ-80 has it, but it is really clacky and prone to failure.

If I had no monetary or space considerations, I'd get a Sequential Circuits T-8. That's been one of the best feeling keyboards ever and the poly aftertouch made it come alive.

Great advice, and great video. I'm pretty sure though, that, although Sequential's T8 does have an amazing keyboard, and its Polyphonic Aftertouch is glorious when it plays itself....the MIDI OUT situation is different:
  -- in its MIDI OUT signal, the Aftertouch is converted to CHANNEL Aftertouch. I'll check on mine tomorrow, and report back if this is not the case.
T8, Tempest, OB6, Prophet X. 8DIO Prophet 5 add-on, Sample Packs from Lady Gaia (synth waveforms) and Modulatable.com (Moog One.)

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2019, 12:41:37 PM »
Poly aftertouch is possible on the Vermona MK2 but the parameter of filter is all that can be controlled. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JRs0pcL5ms&feature=youtu.be
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2019, 04:41:24 PM »
Has anyone tried controlling the OB-6 with a Roli Rise (Seaboard)?

While I find the Roli Rise to be interesting, sexy, looks like fun with huge performance potential, most of their capabilities are only realized with software synths, but part of the compelling value equation is the mobility, which means that now you haul a laptop rather than a synth? (as I say this, I'm starting to think maybe that's not too crazy???)

However, for my immediate messing around, if I want to play around with poly-AT, seems like the most reasonable, but probably satisfying solution would be the CME Xkeys 37. The Rise 25 has small keys, $800 with no relief/discount in sight, and you can get the wired CME with 37 full-size keys for $179 ($299 if you want bluetooth). I'm close to just getting one...I can use it with soft-synths on a laptop...right?? (...no....wait...)

If I were going to spend more money it would probably be for a Keith Mcmillen K-board PRO. Has anybody tried one?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 04:45:33 PM by shmuelyosef »
DSI OB-6, Nord Electro 3HP & 6HP, Roland SoundCanvas SC55mkii, Beatstep Pro, KeyStep, Roland SE-02, MPD18 (+mpcstuff), Roland TD-4 V-drums, Fender-Rhodes Stage MK1, Reaper, plus dozens of acoustic instruments

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2019, 07:40:10 PM »
If I were going to spend more money it would probably be for a Keith Mcmillen K-board PRO. Has anybody tried one?
I also have a first impressions video on the K-Board Pro 4 here.

(Sorry about the poor sound balance)

I didn't address aftertouch in my own video but as we've seen from KMI's own videos, it appears to be working:

I would expect the "stuck" note problem to be a regular problem with the Pro 4 that will plague it for months to come. Otherwise it's almost perfect. I would suggest downloading and installing the K-Board Pro 4 Editor and poking around with it before purchasing the actual keyboard. The keyboard isn't require to run the editor.
I've told you before, Ryan. If one makes it, it's a victory.

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2021, 04:45:32 PM »
This thread came up in a search for poly aftertouch and the OB-6. Has anyone else tried the Prophet T8 with the OB-6? One anomaly that I discovered: since the Prophet T8 is 8 voice, you get two silent notes when playing the OB-6. You can put the T8 in "double" mode, but then you only get 4 voices of the OB-6. Confusing!

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2021, 03:57:01 PM »

The ASM Hydrasynth keybed has polyphonic aftertouch.
Yes, the OB-6 responds to MPE information like polyphonic aftertouch. Requires the latest OS.
BR
Uwe

« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2021, 05:02:24 AM »
I have both a roli seaboard and a hydrasynth keyboard. I love the roli for true MPE but it’s definitely a weird experience. I ONLY use it for pads.
Honestly, just get a hydrasynth. Playing my sequential synths from my hydra has mad it that I just want them all to be modules now, I never play their own keyboards anymore! 🤣
Besides, the hydra is by far the most fun, intuitive and incredible sounding digital synth I’ve ever played. It blows away most software I’ve tried!
OB6, PROPHET 6, REV2, PRO 3, AS-1, MOOG GRANDMOTHER, HYDRASYNTH, B2600, DIGITAKT, ANALOG RYTM, ASSORTED EURORACK