How to recall presets in Cubase

How to recall presets in Cubase
« on: January 05, 2019, 10:55:22 AM »
I have the Rev 2 set up as an external instrument, but when I close and open the project, how can I ensure that the same preset is selected from the project to the synth?  Otherwise, I'll have to note down the preset, then find it again on the synth.

Re: How to recall presets in Cubase
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2019, 03:25:42 PM »
I have the Rev 2 set up as an external instrument, but when I close and open the project, how can I ensure that the same preset is selected from the project to the synth?  Otherwise, I'll have to note down the preset, then find it again on the synth.

Its quiet easy in Cubase. This works for selected midi tracks. Go to the inspector in the left zone. Under the midi chanelselector you can  set the bank and the program number. The bank number starts om 0 to 7 and program from 1 to 128.

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2019, 03:59:20 PM »

Its quiet easy in Cubase. This works for selected midi tracks. Go to the inspector in the left zone. Under the midi chanelselector you can  set the bank and the program number. The bank number starts om 0 to 7 and program from 1 to 128.

How do I make sure that the program I am changing and have selected on the synth is being changed in Cubase?

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2019, 04:15:22 AM »

How do I make sure that the program I am changing and have selected on the synth is being changed in Cubase?

Dont really get you there. If you want to assign a specific program on your REV2 you do it through the bank and program selector as described above. Have you set the in and output routing in Cubase to the Rev2? If you want to record modulation changes you do it with automation on the track. You have to activate read and write automation first for this to work. You also have to set up the REV2 to the same midichannel as on your midi track. You do this under the global setting on the REV2. There you also set the REV2 to receive information from Cubase.

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2019, 01:41:17 PM »

Dont really get you there. If you want to assign a specific program on your REV2 you do it through the bank and program selector as described above. Have you set the in and output routing in Cubase to the Rev2? If you want to record modulation changes you do it with automation on the track. You have to activate read and write automation first for this to work. You also have to set up the REV2 to the same midichannel as on your midi track. You do this under the global setting on the REV2. There you also set the REV2 to receive information from Cubase.

If I change the preset on the rev2, the program does not change in Cubase.  So, if I open the project back up, Cubase cannot signal to the Rev2 to recall the specific preset.  Instead, i have to find it on the synth myself, manually.

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2019, 07:23:06 PM »
You have to set it in Cubase, not the synth.  If you set the patch in the Cubase project and save it, when you open it back up, the Rev2 should change.

I actually just wrote a Cubase patch script for the Rev2 if anyone is interested.

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2019, 07:09:26 PM »
What does the script do?

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2019, 07:21:39 AM »
What does the script do?

Patch scripts map the CCs messages to the actual patch name.

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2019, 09:20:46 AM »

The old school way was to record a sysex dump of the patch being used in the beginning of the project. (Before the song actually starts) This would save the patch data in the song itself and load it back into the synth when played back. I got into the habit of leaving 33 bars open in the beginning of all my tracks/projects. I still do it for other reasons now that I don't use sysex dumps in my projects anymore.

The patch script idea works great if you aren't constantly changing the internal presets that are loaded into the synth. (Most don't so this may be fine for you) If the synth's contents aren't what they were when you saved the song....It will call up whatever preset is currently loaded into that preset location. So then you also need to know what bank of sounds were loaded into the synth at the time.

Lately I've been using and relying on VST editors. With the Rev2 I use the CodeKnobs editor. It loads as a vst instrument and as long as I save the Nuendo project, the editor retains/saves the preset info and calls it up when the project is loaded into Nuendo. I don't even have to save the synth preset to the synth or the PC. The editor does it automatically when the Nuendo project is saved. This feature saved my ass recently. My system drive went down without warning, containing all my presets saved through these editors. (I use several) The thousands of presets saved to my hard drive were toast. I had back ups but not of the most recently created sounds. Then I remembered the VST editor and started loading the demo projects that used the lost presets. I got them all back by simply loading the Nuendo projects and saving the current preset from the editor.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 09:23:08 AM by RobustAmerican »

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2019, 08:52:51 PM »
What does the script do?

Patch scripts map the CCs messages to the actual patch name.

I would love this!

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2019, 08:54:56 PM »

The old school way was to record a sysex dump of the patch being used in the beginning of the project. (Before the song actually starts) This would save the patch data in the song itself and load it back into the synth when played back. I got into the habit of leaving 33 bars open in the beginning of all my tracks/projects. I still do it for other reasons now that I don't use sysex dumps in my projects anymore.

The patch script idea works great if you aren't constantly changing the internal presets that are loaded into the synth. (Most don't so this may be fine for you) If the synth's contents aren't what they were when you saved the song....It will call up whatever preset is currently loaded into that preset location. So then you also need to know what bank of sounds were loaded into the synth at the time.

Lately I've been using and relying on VST editors. With the Rev2 I use the CodeKnobs editor. It loads as a vst instrument and as long as I save the Nuendo project, the editor retains/saves the preset info and calls it up when the project is loaded into Nuendo. I don't even have to save the synth preset to the synth or the PC. The editor does it automatically when the Nuendo project is saved. This feature saved my ass recently. My system drive went down without warning, containing all my presets saved through these editors. (I use several) The thousands of presets saved to my hard drive were toast. I had back ups but not of the most recently created sounds. Then I remembered the VST editor and started loading the demo projects that used the lost presets. I got them all back by simply loading the Nuendo projects and saving the current preset from the editor.

I know of this vst but have avoided spending the money.  Looks like it’s inevitable.  Can I save new presets to recall later as well?

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2019, 08:14:45 AM »
If anyone wants the Cubase patch script, just send me a PM with your email, and I'll send it to you