MIDI clock sync lag

MIDI clock sync lag
« on: January 04, 2019, 08:16:18 AM »
Hello

Syncing my OB6 desktop to Logic Pro 9 using MIDI clock.

When the sequencer isn't playing the BPM LEDs read ---. They don't show a value unless the sequencer is running. Also there is some lag before the OB6 matches the BPM. The numbers flicker or if the BPM has changed in Logic since the last time the sequencer was started the OB6 has to catch up from there.

Is this normal behaviour? Is it just 'cosmetic' and is the OB6 in fact synced from as soon as the sequencer starts?

It can make the FX go squiffy, delay time catching up for example, which isn't ideal.

Thanks
Jim

Re: MIDI clock sync lag
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2019, 10:21:19 PM »
Did you ever figure out what this was? Mine also does this.

Pym

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2019, 01:25:28 AM »
Normal. Unless the clock is constantly being sent to the synth you can't know the tempo so we just use a default when we don't see clock. Then we recalculate as the clocks come in

Hello

Syncing my OB6 desktop to Logic Pro 9 using MIDI clock.

When the sequencer isn't playing the BPM LEDs read ---. They don't show a value unless the sequencer is running. Also there is some lag before the OB6 matches the BPM. The numbers flicker or if the BPM has changed in Logic since the last time the sequencer was started the OB6 has to catch up from there.

Is this normal behaviour? Is it just 'cosmetic' and is the OB6 in fact synced from as soon as the sequencer starts?

It can make the FX go squiffy, delay time catching up for example, which isn't ideal.

Thanks
Jim
Sequential

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2019, 03:38:50 AM »
Normal. Unless the clock is constantly being sent to the synth you can't know the tempo so we just use a default when we don't see clock. Then we recalculate as the clocks come in

Thanks for reply, that makes sense

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2019, 10:08:25 AM »
If it bothers you, look for something like "Send Midi Clock in Stop mode" in Logic. I have this setting turned on in Nuendo and the OB displays the tempo constantly. This is also helpful when working with a patch that uses the OB's ARP or Sequencer as even when the project isn't playing you can still audition the OB and hear the arp/sequencer at the tempo of your song.

I find it helpful to my workflow.

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2019, 12:19:24 PM »
So the delay wind up is normal?

Pym

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2019, 06:42:24 PM »
Yes

I have an 'auto' mode in mind that will make it a bit more simple but it probably won't be rolled back into old products

Sequential

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2019, 10:41:06 PM »
Yes

I have an 'auto' mode in mind that will make it a bit more simple but it probably won't be rolled back into old products

Okay!  Thank you.