No sound from the Rev2 in Logic X, while Stack A+B is enabled

No sound from the Rev2 in Logic X, while Stack A+B is enabled
« on: January 03, 2019, 11:27:21 AM »
Hello everyone,

I have a strange problem with my Rev2. Since yesterday I don’t get any sound in Logic Pro X from the Rev, whenever a synth program has Stack A+B enabled. If I disable Stack A+B, then Layer A is heard and if I enable Split A/B, I can hear the the two layers as expected on each side of the keyboard. But as soon as the Stack button is pressed, the patch becomes completely silent.

In Logic I have this setup:
  -  1 External MIDI track sending midi to the Rev2
  -  1 Audio track (stereo) getting audio signal from the synth’s Main A Outputs. Input monitoring is enabled on the track.

If I connect another midi keyboard via USB to the computer and use this to play the Rev2 trough the External Midi track in Logic (while the Rev is also connected via USB), then the patch is played correctly, while Stack A+B is enabled.

Also, when a recorded midi sequence in Logic is sent to the Rev, then the patch is heard as expected.

The Rev has this configuration in Global settings:
  -  Midi channel: All
  -  Midi clock mode: Master
  -  Midi clock cable: USB
  -  Midi param send: NRPN
  -  Midi param rcv: NRPN
  -  Midi control: On
  -  Midi prog enable: On
  -  Midi prog send: On
  -  Midi sysex cable: USB
  -  Midi out select: USB
  -  Multi mode: Off
  -  Local control: Off

If I turn on Local Control on the synth, close Logic and route the audio from the synth directly to the speakers, then both layers are heard as they should in Stack A+B mode.

So it seems there is some midi issue in Logic. Until yesterday this setup has worked without any problems, so it is pretty strange it just appeared suddenly. I did update the OS on the Rev2 yesterday from version 1.1.0.3 to 1.1.4.27, but I am almost completely sure I got the Stack problem before the update.

Does anyone know what might be the reason for this problem?

Re: No sound from the Rev2 in Logic X, while Stack A+B is enabled
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 10:52:51 AM »
Same problem here, got mine today.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2019, 11:09:43 AM »
Does this only happen when you physically press the stack button, or will it also happen if you switch to a program that has stack mode on?

Currently i see no other reason than that you upgraded the OS which in some cases do introduce new bugs (sometimes even old ones that creep in again)... also, I'd advise you to try and update to the latest beta in this group... it could be that it has been fixed in that one.
If you need me, follow the shadows...

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2019, 11:17:30 AM »
Both, press stack button or change to a patch that use stack A+B (active)

Does this only happen when you physically press the stack button, or will it also happen if you switch to a program that has stack mode on?

Currently i see no other reason than that you upgraded the OS which in some cases do introduce new bugs (sometimes even old ones that creep in again)... also, I'd advise you to try and update to the latest beta in this group... it could be that it has been fixed in that one.

cbmd

• Sequential
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2019, 11:49:11 AM »
It's surprising how many reports we receive of Logic users having difficulties with our instruments.  In most every case we've encountered, the issue is related to some unexpected MIDI data being sent to the synth from Logic.

In some cases we've seen a ton of sysex data sent to the synth as if it were a control surface, other times, Logic will send device id inquiries to the synth in excess. 

To identify the cause of the issue, we recommend using a MIDI monitoring device to identify the messages which are causing the issue and then investigate how to disable Logic from sending them.

In the case where logic was sending sysex data for a control surface, the user had to trash his control surface preferences to resolve the issue.

LOGIC is a serious pain when it comes to these kinds of issues.  >:(
Product Designer
Sequential | Oberheim

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2019, 11:49:29 AM »
well... I can confirm that i do not have this problem... I have my REV2 connected to my DAW (Cakewalk) that echo'es anything back to the REV2 (I've also got Local Off here)... if I change preset via my daw it works as it should... layer B plays fine.

I have to add though, that I've set the REV2 to NOT send out Program changes! ... try this and see if that makes a difference... the reason for this is that if it DOES send out Program Messages, then the DAW will send them back and create a weird behavior in the REV2's changing of programs. I have never understood why this happens, but one thing i notice is that if I have Local set to OFF, and do not send out program changes, then when i change preset via the PROGRAM knob on the REV2, then the preset name do not change, and neither the sound... but the program number do change... this seems logical to a certain extend because with Local Off no physical control should be active on the REV2 itself... but it apparently is as the program numbers still change.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 11:51:20 AM by Razmo »
If you need me, follow the shadows...

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2019, 04:18:14 PM »
I wonder if it's to do with Multimode being on in Global - I naively though that pressing Stack A+B might override that Multimode setting (since it's obvious you want to play the two sounds together) but I was wrong in that regard.

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2019, 07:09:13 AM »
Weird stuff.

Logic X here and no dramas at all.

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2019, 10:41:19 AM »
I had the same problem (although I run Cubase). I updated the main OS from 1.1.4.27 to the latest beta (1.1.5.9) and that solved my problem.

I think this is a bug fix taken care of in OS version 1.1.5 - "Bug Fix: With stack active, synth outputs two MIDI note messages per key played". If you hook up your REV2 to a computer/DAW via MIDI this "double trigger" bug becomes an issue.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 10:43:15 AM by bldrman »

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2019, 09:57:09 AM »
I have this exact problem as well. I can play layer A or B solo no probem. But when using it via external MIDI  in Logic with Local Control Off, Stack A+B seems to be kinda...stifling it self. There might bet the tiniest blip. My REV2 ius 114.27. perhaps as per bldrman above I should update.  Any news on this issue?

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2019, 10:04:46 AM »
Addendum--I have the same problem in Reaper.

iJean

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2019, 01:25:25 PM »
Same in Cubase. Keyboard sends two notes for one press. If you record midi, you will write two midi notes. Synth is actually acting like two synths. I think.

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2020, 03:53:50 AM »
I have the same problem in Cubase 9.5.  Even with MIDI Thru off, I get doubled notes. The problem seems exclusive to the Rev2, and I could find the main problem. If I play a stacked sound, it sends a note for each part (A & B). If I turn off the Stack A&B button, I can record single notes, but when I play it back, it plays back only the one active sound, even though I've reactivated the Stack A&B button. Really weird, because when I delete one of the double recorded notes, it will still play back both sounds. So I'm still stuck with deleting every doubled note individually.

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2023, 01:59:15 PM »
I have the exact same issue.

The reason this is happening is because the rev 2 is outputting 2 lots of identical midi notes (one for each layer) & if multimode is on then layer B just outputs to the next midi channel. You can see the evidence of this by looking in the event window in logic. Either in multimode or not because the notes stack up it causes a problem for logic and they misfire or won't play back at all.

I'm not sure if anyone has found a solution?

What would be helpful is if you could tell the rev 2 to only output one singular channel of MIDI. Outputting 2 channels of MIDI information with multimode off just seems unhelpful unless I'm missing something.

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2023, 12:54:48 AM »
I have the exact same issue.

The reason this is happening is because the rev 2 is outputting 2 lots of identical midi notes (one for each layer) & if multimode is on then layer B just outputs to the next midi channel. You can see the evidence of this by looking in the event window in logic. Either in multimode or not because the notes stack up it causes a problem for logic and they misfire or won't play back at all.

I'm not sure if anyone has found a solution?

What would be helpful is if you could tell the rev 2 to only output one singular channel of MIDI. Outputting 2 channels of MIDI information with multimode off just seems unhelpful unless I'm missing something.

Did you check the reply by "bldrman" above? Seems this was a bug that got fixed in a firmware update.

I just confirmed with my Rev2 (running OS 1.2.1) and MIDI-OX. With Multimode Off, it just sends one Note On/Off message per key, even when Stack AB is enabled. With Multimode On, it sends two messages for each key, one on CH 1 and one on CH 2.

Also make sure you have turned Local off when using the synth with a DAW or sequencer that reflects MIDI messages back to the synth, otherwise you will definitely get double triggering.