Questions about Rev2’s layer B

KaB

Questions about Rev2’s layer B
« on: December 30, 2018, 02:21:00 AM »
Hello,

Im willing to buy the Rev2 desktop but got few questions regarding the layer feature:

- Is the layer feature literally like having two synth in one?
- Can I plug two different external midi keyboards to the rev2 and play one different layer on each keyboard?
- Does the split mode work on an external midi keyboard (I suppose, else the desktop wouldnt have split mode, but I wanna be sure)?
- How is the layer B linked to the main synth? Can I easily save and load a synth setup on layer B seperately? Does the main synth patch automatically save layer B’s setup?

What other limitations should I be aware of regarding the layer feature?

Thanks

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
Re: Questions about Rev2’s layer B
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2018, 02:37:13 AM »
Hello,

Im willing to buy the Rev2 desktop but got few questions regarding the layer feature:

- Is the layer feature literally like having two synth in one?
- Can I plug two different external midi keyboards to the rev2 and play one different layer on each keyboard?
- Does the split mode work on an external midi keyboard (I suppose, else the desktop wouldnt have split mode, but I wanna be sure)?
- How is the layer B linked to the main synth? Can I easily save and load a synth setup on layer B seperately? Does the main synth patch automatically save layer B’s setup?

What other limitations should I be aware of regarding the layer feature?

Thanks

Yes... it's like having two synths in one... you can even set up the synth to "multi mode" where each of the layers can be controlled from a sequencer at each their own MIDI channel (two 8-voice synths if you get the 16voice version). They even have each their own outputs, and each layer has it's own FX slot... the two layers are completely independant... but you can always use them together as one, or stack/split them... but this also means that you have to understand that they are two separate synths... that means that you cannot choose to have say; two voices on layer A, and 14 on Layer B... they are hardwired 8/8 ... when you use them together it's basically as if you daisychained two Prophet '08s except you don't need a mixer, and both are controlled from within, as one.

In theory you can connect two keyboards, but you'd have to use a MIDI merger as the REV2 only have one MIDI input and output. Thus you could just set two MIDI keyboard to send on the two channels when the REV2 is in multi-mode. But you will not get around getting a MIDI merger.

And yes... it works in split mode from a regular MIDI controller keyboard as well... as you wrote yourself, it does with the desktop version, and they are identical in that regard.

The synth works as ONE... that means that you have one program, and that one program holds both the settings for layer A and B at the same time... under normal circumstances, you do not load/save individual layers on the REV2... you select a program, and that program sets up both layers... simple as that... but if you are in multi mode (as far as I know), you should be able to change layers individually via a program change on the respective MIDI channel... there is also a feature in the MISC section that allow you to browse layers in the existing programs so that you can dial in any layer from any program on any layer. You just have to understand that the layers are not saved on their own... they are saved in pairs in a program, so seeing the REV2 as two separate synths is somewhat flawed in this regard because you would have to do some serious pairing of your layers in your programs. In other words; you can only load and save Programs... and they always contain two layers.

The only thing I'm a bit uncertain about is if you can change individual layers via program change in multimode... i think you can, but it's probably best to hear this from someone who use this feature (I do not).
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 02:45:46 AM by Razmo »
If you need me, follow the shadows...

KaB

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2018, 04:13:37 AM »
Gotcha, thanks a lot for those detailed answers! Exactly what I needed.

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2018, 11:09:24 PM »
The only thing I would add to Razmo's in-depth reply is that layer B will not respond to aftertouch.

MIDI-OX shows that the aftertouch info is only transmitted on layer A's MIDI channel. 

Moog One <> Prophet Rev2 16V <>  Andromeda <> Kronos 61 <> Nord Stage 2 HA76 <> Integra 7 <> Minilogue XD module <> Blofeld desktop <> Behringer Model D <> Minitaur <> Slim Phatty <> Matrix 1000 <> Micron <> Privia PX-5S <>  MODX7 <> TG77 <> ASM Hydrasynth <> Perform VE <> FCB1010

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2018, 01:07:53 AM »
The only thing I would add to Razmo's in-depth reply is that layer B will not respond to aftertouch.

MIDI-OX shows that the aftertouch info is only transmitted on layer A's MIDI channel.

That has to be a bug... has anyone written support and addressed that?
If you need me, follow the shadows...

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2018, 05:25:57 PM »

That has to be a bug... has anyone written support and addressed that?

I opened a ticket with support within the first couple weeks that I had it.  After showing them the MIDI OX files detailing the issue, they basically just acknowledged the issue but didn't offer a solution.  Was one of the main reasons I almost returned mine, but in the end it's otherwise the perfect 2nd tier controller so I just bit the bullet on this one.
Moog One <> Prophet Rev2 16V <>  Andromeda <> Kronos 61 <> Nord Stage 2 HA76 <> Integra 7 <> Minilogue XD module <> Blofeld desktop <> Behringer Model D <> Minitaur <> Slim Phatty <> Matrix 1000 <> Micron <> Privia PX-5S <>  MODX7 <> TG77 <> ASM Hydrasynth <> Perform VE <> FCB1010

Steven Morris

• Steven Morris Music & Sound
    • Steven Morris Music & Sound
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2019, 09:23:56 PM »
Bumping this as I ran into a similar issue -- I'm actually trying to send separate Aftertouch data to each Layer and I too am struggling with Layer B.

I'm using all kinds of equipment in my experiments -- a couple of expression pedals (sent to MIDI Ch.1 & Ch.2) going through an Expression->MIDI (DIN) device. That data is being merged with some other MIDI data via a MOTU Micro Express. When I set both Layers' Aftertouch, for some reason both pedals affect both layers. When I only set Layer A's Aftertouch, my Ch.1 Expression Pedal only affects Layer A.

I'm a bit perplexed by this... in fact, I am not even sure if what I am trying to do is within the specs of what Channel Pressure (regular, non-polyphonic aftertouch) is capable of.

Incidentally, I have Aftertouch set to affect pitch, so I can essentially stack it with Pitch Bend, as it can be quite a cool sound to bend individuals separately while bending all of the sounds simultaneously.