OB6 MPE

Re: OB6 MPE
« Reply #120 on: January 13, 2021, 09:17:29 AM »
Ah, I just give the right CC# to send from the controller (LinnStrument). D'oh!
The pitch bend range seems stuck on 1 semitone, though. Vibrato is possible, but glissandos >1 semitone don't work for me.

Also trying to set up a LinnStrument, can you please elaborate and confirm what's worked for you?

midi mode>channel per note, per note channels 2-7?   
Please read earlier posts, the proper way is to use the 3rd "row" of global settings, although it is possible to send the y-axis directly via CC to OB-6s parameters. Most params give glitchiness but osc level worked ok for me (y-axis to CC77 was what I used in the video)

I believe I set  3rd row globals pitch range to 2 or maybe even 1 (lowest possible).  Then I set pitch bend range to 48 on the Linn (the higher number on the Linn means more finger travel length per pitch change)  The default settings of 2 to 24 were too aggressive.   Set pitch on Linn to quant otherwise it wont return to correct note value after a slide.

I haven't had much luck using Y axis feature on the Linn for any hardware instrument control, as it seems too sensitive no matter how I set the instruments up.   However, I  do use poly pressure to control filter  parameters on the OB6, but I do not use it for osc pitch or much else, as again, it just seems too touchy.   The Linn's biggest advantage IMO is simply its ability to slide between notes and do so polyphonically.  That combined with filter mod with pressure makes for some nice sounds on the OB6.  As a said a few posts ago,  there are a few hang up  issues when using the OB6 onboard sequencer with the Linn.  Eventually we'll get it routed out once issue is better defined.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 09:23:36 AM by Soundquest »
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

« Reply #121 on: January 14, 2021, 10:00:05 PM »
I haven't had much luck using Y axis feature on the Linn for any hardware instrument control, as it seems too sensitive no matter how I set the instruments up.

In case you don't already know, you can restrict the range of the Y-axis on the LinnStrument.

From the manual:

Hidden setting: Timbre/Y High/Low Limits
Normally the value sent for Timbre/Y has a range of 0 to 127. However, you can change the low and high limits so that the sent values will be scaled between these limits. To change these range limits, hold the On pad and the screen will display large characters. Swipe up or down to switch between the following two settings, and left or right to edit each setting’s value:

"L 0": the Low Timbre/Y limit, from 0 to 127.
"H127": the High Timbre/Y limit, from 0 to 127.

If these settings are changed from their default values of L 0 and H127, the On pad in the Per-Split Settings screen will be lit in the accent color. Note that if the high limit is lower than the low limit, the output range will be inverted.

Cheers!

mafi

« Reply #122 on: January 15, 2021, 11:30:52 AM »
I find that subtlety is the key if I want expressiveness and the Y-axis is fantastic for this. Although changing the range on the Linnstrument is one way of limiting the modulation, won't this result in less and less resolution? Sure, it may be smoothed in the synth engine ...
I also like the y-axis for occasional emphasis, only when in the upper part of the pad. This requires control of the response curve. Although this might seem like a fussy request, it's my experience so far that these fine-tuning tweaks is what has allowed me to get some beautiful, natural sounding patches vs. wacky synth stuff. To me, this level of fine control is vital for MPE. This is why I love using modular (via FH-2) as it allows this fine tuning, via VCAs with log / lin / exp control curves and other ways to shape the CVs, (and why I'm looking forward to using the Linnstrument with the Eagan Matrix when the Osmose arrives).

« Reply #123 on: January 16, 2021, 07:56:39 AM »
Has anybody managed to make it work with Ableton 11 Beta? It looks like it's impossible to limit the midi channels transmitted to only 2-7, which results in some voices being silent because looks like ableton just does round-robin through all the channels 1-16.

« Reply #124 on: January 16, 2021, 03:48:57 PM »
Full MPE in OB-6 would be AMAZING

« Reply #125 on: January 17, 2021, 03:31:02 PM »
I'm trying this with my Linnstrument in MPE mode, Z-Axis is set to channel pressure, but it seems that all held notes are reacting to the pressure from one note? For example if I hold two notes, one quite high and one low and push harder on the low note I can hear the LFO being applied to the pitch of the high note.

« Reply #126 on: January 28, 2021, 07:07:24 PM »
Has anybody managed to make it work with Ableton 11 Beta? It looks like it's impossible to limit the midi channels transmitted to only 2-7, which results in some voices being silent because looks like ableton just does round-robin through all the channels 1-16.

I'm using a Rise49 with Ableton 11 (the only MPE capable software I have at the moment) and I'm getting lots of dropped notes unfortunately.

« Reply #127 on: February 12, 2021, 01:39:18 PM »

I'm using a Rise49 with Ableton 11 (the only MPE capable software I have at the moment) and I'm getting lots of dropped notes unfortunately.

I'm trying to cobble together a solution by editing the 'MPE Control' plugin but I'm a Max noob. I also submitted a feature request but I'm sure Ableton sees a lot of those. Here's the thread I started in Cycling74 about it: https://cycling74.com/forums/limit-mpe-channels-for-sequential-ob-6prophet-6

FWIW, in Bitwig it's easy peasy. Put the Channel Map plugin ahead of the hardware instrument, and round-robin every channel after 7 back.

mafi

« Reply #128 on: February 16, 2021, 03:08:40 AM »
So I've finally got around to trying the MPE in the proper way, via the 3rd row of global settings.

The filter cutoff knob and resonance knob are not doing anything and the filter seems to be fully open. Only by putting aftertouch amount to negative and routing to the filter cutoff does the filter begin to close. So the sounds (using LPF) are all blaring and bright with no way of taming them.

Anyone else have this problem?

VE

« Reply #129 on: February 17, 2021, 03:09:07 PM »
Hello Sequential,

Can it be possible to optimize the MPE feature accepting polychain for a 12-voice MPE experience which would be more comfortable?

mafi

« Reply #130 on: February 21, 2021, 03:07:16 PM »
Ignore my last message about the filter knobs not doing anything. I think I must have been in global settings or something, it's fine now.

« Reply #131 on: March 04, 2021, 11:58:57 AM »
Can any one tell me where I find the 'release notes' of the last 1.6.4 and 1.6.6 updates ? What settings to set to go in of out of MPE and in or out of Vintage mode?

Pym

« Reply #132 on: March 04, 2021, 12:04:58 PM »
I don't have plans for this quite yet, I was aware that this limitation would allow me to push the code out a lot faster so I just went with it. If we get further adoption I may be able to take another pass at it but I can't promise anything right now

Hello Sequential,

Can it be possible to optimize the MPE feature accepting polychain for a 12-voice MPE experience which would be more comfortable?
Sequential

Pym

« Reply #133 on: March 04, 2021, 12:06:18 PM »
Ableton is aware of the problem and I am helping with some beta testing, but I'm not sure ultimately if this is something I will have to change here or something they will have to change. While the spec is designed around the controller being the 'intelligent' part of the system, I could help it along by making those changes in the instrument as well and adding another global. I just have to find the time to do it, which is a challenge! I'll update you guys when I have any new information

I'm trying to cobble together a solution by editing the 'MPE Control' plugin but I'm a Max noob. I also submitted a feature request but I'm sure Ableton sees a lot of those. Here's the thread I started in Cycling74 about it: https://cycling74.com/forums/limit-mpe-channels-for-sequential-ob-6prophet-6

FWIW, in Bitwig it's easy peasy. Put the Channel Map plugin ahead of the hardware instrument, and round-robin every channel after 7 back.
Sequential

« Reply #134 on: April 07, 2021, 10:58:50 AM »
Hi, just wanted to add that I'd also support your work on rev2 and prophet x (xl in my case) Mpe through Kickstarter or whatever way is most convenient.

Cheers!

« Reply #135 on: April 08, 2021, 04:33:03 PM »
I posted this in another thread, maybe it will help you.  I followed these directions after a few frustrating hours of getting nowhere, and it worked:

I got this information from something a Sequential employee posted at GS:

"I would try updating to the synth via the bootloader. Hold WRITE while powering on. An animation will be shown on one of the screens indicating that bootloader is active. Send the OS to the synth via the MIDI IN port (USB cannot be used in bootloader mode)."

There's an extra light show near the end of the process when updating this way, so don't touch the synth for a minute or two after you reach 000 on the countdown.

Good luck, I feel your pain.

Thank you.  This alternate OS loading technique worked first try using midiox, 1024 buffer speed, and a Roland UM midi interface cable.

Updated to 1.6.6.  Again, had to use this alternate method.
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

« Reply #136 on: September 01, 2021, 02:06:11 AM »
I'm trying this with my Linnstrument in MPE mode, Z-Axis is set to channel pressure, but it seems that all held notes are reacting to the pressure from one note? For example if I hold two notes, one quite high and one low and push harder on the low note I can hear the LFO being applied to the pitch of the high note.

I am experiencing the same problem on the Prophet-6 with my Linnstrument. Have you been able to fix this yet? If so, how?

« Reply #137 on: September 01, 2021, 08:04:18 AM »
Don't overlook that your pressure to pitch control (on the OB6 itself) plays a role.  I haven't used the MPE much on OB6 yet,  except when it first came out.  I know its touchy with the Linn.

« Reply #138 on: October 11, 2021, 01:36:20 PM »
FYI Ableton Live beta 11.1b3 and beyond now support MPE Zones, which means Live can send on the channels the Sequential synths like the OB6 expect

https://www.ableton.com/en/release-notes/live-11-beta/

J

« Reply #139 on: October 13, 2021, 03:21:30 AM »
FYI Ableton Live beta 11.1b3 and beyond now support MPE Zones, which means Live can send on the channels the Sequential synths like the OB6 expect

https://www.ableton.com/en/release-notes/live-11-beta/

J

Great ! Can't wait to trying it !