Bricked after Samples Added

Re: Bricked after Samples Added
« Reply #80 on: January 07, 2019, 09:16:10 AM »

Hi all,

i read somewhere a few hundred had non formatted user area for sampling, maybe be those gone black. Just an idea.
Hope all yours will boot fine soon.

Martin

« Reply #81 on: January 07, 2019, 10:08:24 AM »
I suggested it earlier and others as well to make sure the default preset is not one with user samples (Hit Global in a default preset)

My new drive from Sequential will arrive in the next 8 hours and by 12 hours from now be installed and tested.  I will see if it boots up with clean drive - Should, with no samples or presets saved.   I'll install the same samples that froze before but make sure it boots up on a non sample patch. 

The fact that a few others froze after using samples for a while points to something about the restart that's freezing.  The best variable answer we have now is that default patch.  Pretty sure that happened to me; I was always starting on a patch that used the PVS internal samples but think it was trying to restart on a user sample saved patch when it froze.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 10:13:34 AM by REwire »

« Reply #82 on: January 07, 2019, 10:19:57 AM »
I suggested it earlier and others as well to make sure the default preset is not one with user samples (Hit Global in a default preset)

My new drive from Sequential will arrive in the next 8 hours and by 12 hours from now be installed and tested.  I will see if it boots up with clean drive - Should, with no samples or presets saved.   I'll install the same samples that froze before but make sure it boots up on a non sample patch. 

The fact that a few others froze after using samples for a while points to something about the restart that's freezing.  The best variable answer we have now is that default patch.  Pretty sure that happened to me; I was always starting on a patch that used the PVS internal samples but think it was trying to restart on a user sample saved patch when it froze.

You're a brave lad !!! If when my drive arrives it loads up i'm not loading any user samples into it till a new OS is out addressing the issue !!!

Looking forward to hearing what happens ...  :o

« Reply #83 on: January 07, 2019, 10:48:38 AM »

I believe at some point Sequential clarified that presets are stored in the same system flash storage as the operating system, which is distinct from the SSD.  If true, that’s good news in that you shouldn’t lose any presets with the swap, but raises somewhat concerning possibilities if the failure to boot isn’t strictly related to what’s on the SSD.  It will be an important learning experience for all concerned, so please do keep us posted!

« Reply #84 on: January 07, 2019, 11:36:11 AM »

I believe at some point Sequential clarified that presets are stored in the same system flash storage as the operating system, which is distinct from the SSD.  If true, that’s good news in that you shouldn’t lose any presets with the swap, but raises somewhat concerning possibilities if the failure to boot isn’t strictly related to what’s on the SSD.  It will be an important learning experience for all concerned, so please do keep us posted!

But the OS flash has been refreshed surely when we Sysex'ed the OS in Bootloader mode.

« Reply #85 on: January 07, 2019, 01:50:49 PM »
But the OS flash has been refreshed surely when we Sysex'ed the OS in Bootloader mode.

While it’s likely the same physical flash storage device as the OS, it is subdivided so that an OS upgrade leaves presets alone (much like partitioning a hard disk but without as much formality and all behind the scenes from our perspective.)

« Reply #86 on: January 07, 2019, 01:53:14 PM »
The most viable thing I've heard so far is a patch calling for a missing sample on power up.  I'd be willing to test this theory but I'm too nervous.  I have to use this for a concert in a few months.
Fantom 7 | Moog One | Pro3 | Summit | OB-X8 | Digitakt | Digitone | Syntakt | Iridium KB | 7u x 104hp Eurorack | H9000 | A&H SQ5 Mixer

« Reply #87 on: January 07, 2019, 01:59:47 PM »

While it’s likely the same physical flash storage device as the OS, it is subdivided so that an OS upgrade leaves presets alone (much like partitioning a hard disk but without as much formality and all behind the scenes from our perspective.)

I know the update OS leaves presets alone but what about the Hold Sample Stretch Boot Loader I used?  Since the synth never actually restarted its hard to know if it actually updated. 

Guess I'll know in 6 hours as I have the replacement drive in hand but at work now.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 02:01:35 PM by REwire »

« Reply #88 on: January 07, 2019, 02:08:06 PM »

I know the update OS leaves presets alone but what about the Hold Sample Stretch Boot Loader I used?  Since the synth never actually restarted its hard to know if it actually updated. 

Guess I'll know in 6 hours as I have the replacement drive in hand but at work now.

I think you’ve come over quite ill all of a sudden ....  ;) :o :P ;)

« Reply #89 on: January 07, 2019, 02:25:58 PM »

People have used the bootloader technique to update before as directed by Sequential and I don’t remember any warnings about losing user presets in the process.  Anything’s possible, of course.  There are also SysEx files for restoring the user preset space to its original state but I’ve only ever seen directions about how to use those after booting normally.  It’s possible but probably not likely that the bootloader is also capable of doing that update.  If it was possible, I would have expected Sequential to ask one of the affected owners to try it by now.

« Reply #90 on: January 07, 2019, 02:38:37 PM »
Quote from: SynthJam
I think you’ve come over quite ill all of a sudden ....  ;) :o :P ;)

I was going to leave early but a co-worker beat me to a sick day leaving me covering.  >:(

blewis

« Reply #91 on: January 07, 2019, 06:13:57 PM »
The only bootliader action I did that wiped presets was having to re-image my FPGA. That wiped all presets. All of them. Had to re-install the factory.

All other boot loader Sysex OS updates left the preset memory in place.

I did some Add On “A-bank” manual initialization when I heard of users having to do this with Add On packs. Wanted to be ready should I install them. Can’t recall how I did it, but it was in a special menu.   Just FYI.

Mine currently works after losing user samples. Have not saved a patch with new samples yet.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 06:15:28 PM by blewis »

« Reply #92 on: January 07, 2019, 07:11:11 PM »
I did some Add On “A-bank” manual initialization when I heard of users having to do this with Add On packs. Wanted to be ready should I install them. Can’t recall how I did it, but it was in a special menu.  Just FYI.

I had done the same thing back when The Last Prophet 5 pack gave me some trouble.  I documented the workaround at the time as follows:

Go into the debug menu by holding both transpose buttons and pressing Global. Scroll down to the Initialize Add-On menu item, and perform this task which was skipped at the factory. This wipes out the A bank presets, but it also ensures that the unused slots are harmless. Press Global again to return to normal operation, and re-install the sample pack to restore the presets. Before the reinstall I used the normal Global menu option to delete the installed samples, but I believe this isn't actually necessary.

« Reply #93 on: January 07, 2019, 07:31:34 PM »
OK.  Opened up, changed the drive.   Started up the way it did first time.   And, my presets are still there!  YAAAY.  The one's that called for samples or the P5 library show no samples but are playing some sound.

Updated to 1.2.1  through USB and still good restart.

Crucial moment - put in the USB drive of samples I last used before bricking.   Baited breath while the start bar moves up................SUCCESS!   All samples are loaded and patches that used them got em. 

I hope further restarts are successful but nothing new gets loaded until Sequential sorts it out. Also hitting Global on U1 with generric oscs so it starts always there,   I'll send the drive back in a day or so so maybe that'll give some clues. 

Dan

EDIT: Woops! updated to 1.2 not 2.0, doing it now...........Still good.  Phewwww
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 07:40:55 PM by REwire »

Shaw

« Reply #94 on: January 07, 2019, 07:37:36 PM »
OK.  Opened up, changed the drive.   Started up the way it did first time.   And, my presets are still there!  YAAAY.  The one's that called for samples or the P5 library show no samples but are playing some sound.

Crucial moment - put in the USB drive of samples I last used before bricking.   Baited breath while the start bar moves up................SUCCESS!   All samples are loaded and patches that used them got em. 

I hope further restarts are successful but nothing new gets loaded until Sequential sorts it out. Also hitting Global on U1 with generric oscs so it starts always there,   I'll send the drive back in a day or so so maybe that'll give some clues. 

Dan
CONGRATS!
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

« Reply #95 on: January 07, 2019, 07:49:23 PM »
Indeed, congratulations on getting back up and running.  I'm sure that won't be the preferred way of dealing with the situation long term but at least there's an apparent fix for those affected while Sequential investigates further.

« Reply #96 on: January 07, 2019, 08:04:14 PM »
How long can I keep it on now?  :)

LoboLives

« Reply #97 on: January 07, 2019, 10:48:52 PM »
As far as Sequential not getting back to people. Remeber this happened over the holidays. Yeah it’s unfortunate timing but they do deserve some r&r and personal time. Does it suck for those affected? Yeah. Is it the end of the world? Well, unless the PX is the only synth you own then no it’s not. Just do what I did when my P6 was in the shop, play your other gear while you wait. Until Sequential announce there’s a solution or no solution, there’s no sense in moaning about it or being pessimistic.  This will get resolved fairly soon. I’m positive. There is no way Dave would allow the PX to become a rompler or shrug off defective $5k synths.

Maybe with a bit of hindsight they should of not released it the week before a 2 week holiday .....

As far as I’m aware, that was 8Dio that released it, not Sequential.

Oh so that makes it alright ....  ::)

No but you are directing your frustration at the wrong party. Sequential stated months ago that the PX was ready to go and they were waiting on 8Dio to deliver the mapping software and 8Dio did release it before the holidays so why turn around and point fingers at Sequential for the software?

« Reply #98 on: January 07, 2019, 11:27:44 PM »

Dan

EDIT: Woops! updated to 1.2 not 2.0, doing it now...........Still good.  Phewwww

Phew ... excellent news REwire !!!

Roll on Friday when my drive should arrive. Interestingly I’ve been asked to NOT load user content ... which I wasn’t going to anyway.

DMS

« Reply #99 on: January 08, 2019, 04:43:43 PM »
My x has a broken instrument oled? It’s not bricked it’s hosed, they want me to put up a 200 dollar deposit for a replacement board, and fix it myself what a bunch of bs
broken how?!?

The instrument oled went out, I’m sending it back for repair. No problem it’s under warranty, the initial quick fix just didn’t work  :(