Bricked after Samples Added

JMB

Re: Bricked after Samples Added
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2019, 08:31:04 AM »
To blewis - The version of the os was the last 2.0.0.0.1

Do you recall if you saved any presets with the loaded Neutron samples? And if you saved that preset, did you set that as the default preset by entering the global menu?  i.e. Did you setup the newly saved preset using the Neutron samples as the default preset to be loaded on boot?

FWIW, I've loaded these Neutron projects repeatedly on my PX as part of collaboratively building them and haven't seen any issues.

No, no nothing out of that, just listening the neutron vco. All the samples worked perfectly until the re-ignition of the PX.

But what I noticed before all this is that to update the firmware in 2.0.0.0.1, I had copied from my Mac on a USB 3.0, then inserted in the PX and it took that I turn the PX off and on again for it to be recognized (USB error). I did not do it with bank u02. My friend lyynk had the same problem to recognize his USB keys. Turn off and turn back on ??? Maybe a USB sync problem with the PX ???

Sleep of Reason

« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2019, 09:32:44 AM »
they should stop being so lazy when it comes to software development and hire someone to do their OWN software development...

Yep, I've been saying this for a while now.

« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2019, 10:36:03 AM »
My heart goes out to everyone affected by this.  Now that we've seen samples that load just fine on several Prophet Xs cause problems on another, that would seem to eliminate the Mapping Utility and the content of the samples themselves (naming, size, number of samples, etc.) from being direct causes.  Is there a pattern in the affected serial numbers that could point to some factory setup issues with the way the SSD is formatted?  Or a pattern of OS upgrade paths that left systems in a vulnerable state?

I haven't had any issues and I've installed user samples dozens of times.  My serial # is 040, and I've installed every beta and production OS since 1.0.

LoboLives

« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2019, 11:02:15 AM »
My heart goes out to everyone affected by this.  Now that we've seen samples that load just fine on several Prophet Xs cause problems on another, that would seem to eliminate the Mapping Utility and the content of the samples themselves (naming, size, number of samples, etc.) from being direct causes.  Is there a pattern in the affected serial numbers that could point to some factory setup issues with the way the SSD is formatted?  Or a pattern of OS upgrade paths that left systems in a vulnerable state?

I haven't had any issues and I've installed user samples dozens of times.  My serial # is 040, and I've installed every beta and production OS since 1.0.

I agree. If there was an issue with the mapping software or OS EVERY single machine would be affected not just some. There’s a piece of the puzzle missing here.

lyynk

« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2019, 01:20:21 PM »

Until the time your Px will freeze like ours ......

I ask me if it's a problem on the 8dio mapping software but if it is not the USB controller of the Px that is not stable enough and if there is the slightest cut of it during the transfer samples in the synth, it frize the Px ... Already, when I installed the add on the Prophet 5, I had to do it twice because the first time, it was missing some samples ... Despite this problem, the synth was not blocked but there already, there was a problem during the first loading of this add on ...

LoboLives

« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2019, 03:11:27 PM »

I ask me if it's a problem on the 8dio mapping software but if it is not the USB controller of the Px that is not stable enough and if there is the slightest cut of it during the transfer samples in the synth, it frize the Px ... Already, when I installed the add on the Prophet 5, I had to do it twice because the first time, it was missing some samples ... Despite this problem, the synth was not blocked but there already, there was a problem during the first loading of this add on ...

So after you added the samples, did it freeze right away? Or did it simply freeze when you tried to turn it on again? Or could you turn it on and off and play it and then one day it froze?

« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2019, 04:44:21 PM »

No sign that it will do so, and others have been afflicted pretty much immediately.

I ask me if it's a problem on the 8dio mapping software but if it is not the USB controller of the Px that is not stable enough and if there is the slightest cut of it during the transfer samples in the synth, it frize the Px ...

Every person I've heard from so far has reported problems turning the unit on after installation, not freezing during installation.  That would suggest that something on the SSD that gets read during the initial boot has been corrupted in one way or another that prevents the system from reloading to its normal power-on state.  The part even Sequential won't know for certain until they get someone's disk in for testing is whether it's strictly the SSD, or some combination of what they store in preset memory in conjunction with the SSD.

LoboLives

« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2019, 05:16:38 PM »
Could all this be the result of a faulty or improperly formatted USB Drive?

« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2019, 07:03:41 PM »

Don't think so, any problems I had with having the right folders or hierarchy on the drive resulted in "Drive has no Samples" kind of message.  Everyone I see so far has had the PX find the drive and upload samples from it.

LoboLives

« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2019, 10:32:48 PM »

Don't think so, any problems I had with having the right folders or hierarchy on the drive resulted in "Drive has no Samples" kind of message.  Everyone I see so far has had the PX find the drive and upload samples from it.

So did the freeze happen after you turned the machine off and froze when you tried to turn it on again or did it freeze after calibration or did it freeze randomly after a few sessions with the new samples?

« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2019, 10:56:47 PM »

So did the freeze happen after you turned the machine off and froze when you tried to turn it on again or did it freeze after calibration or did it freeze randomly after a few sessions with the new samples?

Froze on restart after samples were uploaded.   I had samples already in there that were working well a week or so but my last attempted upload froze upon restart and has not started since.  As said earlier, that last upload I sent to Support and Carson said it loaded fine in their machine.

I'll be getting the new drive Jan 7 so will first see if startup, immediately upload my last samples and restart a few times.  Then send my old drive to DSI so they can see if it freezes their machine and if anything's wrong with it.

lyynk

« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2019, 11:37:56 PM »

No sign that it will do so, and others have been afflicted pretty much immediately.

Before it finally freeze on my Px, I did a lot of loading without problem like you...

I think it can really happen randomly because I think that the USB controller of the synth is not stable and that just a bug during the transfer for the freeze synth next.
I have a friend who has not had a freeze for the moment after having done a lot of loading but who prefers not to charge anything to take no risk.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 12:07:08 AM by lyynk »

lyynk

« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2019, 12:05:46 AM »

Froze on restart after samples were uploaded.   I had samples already in there that were working well a week or so but my last attempted upload froze upon restart and has not started since.  As said earlier, that last upload I sent to Support and Carson said it loaded fine in their machine.

I'll be getting the new drive Jan 7 so will first see if startup, immediately upload my last samples and restart a few times.  Then send my old drive to DSI so they can see if it freezes their machine and if anything's wrong with it.

Me, when I receive mine, I just reinstall my add on Prophet 5 and that's it! I'm waiting for Sequential to find the root of the problem and come up with a serious solution before reloading samples into the machine. With the 150 GB of 8dio + add on and all the synthesis it offers, there is plenty to have fun with, create lots of interesting sounds ...

« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2019, 12:54:28 AM »
I probably won't even put the Last Prophet-5 back in.  That was an impulse to see if those waves were better than the VA ones.  My minimoog, synthacon and modular oscs were more lively before bricks, even those Neuron osc demos sounded better.  That's why my samples go first or keep fixing.

lyynk

« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2019, 02:57:47 AM »
I probably won't even put the Last Prophet-5 back in.  That was an impulse to see if those waves were better than the VA ones.  My minimoog, synthacon and modular oscs were more lively before bricks, even those Neuron osc demos sounded better.  That's why my samples go first or keep fixing.

Personally, I programmed very good presets with the samples of the add on Prophet5.
I will try to publish a demo of these sounds when the Prophet X will be functional again

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #55 on: January 06, 2019, 11:13:59 AM »
I recall with the Tempest, that DSI thought it would be possible to flash new samples into the 3rd party sample chip... Even when the third party developers were put on the task they gave up, forever burrying that feature.
This time they put a third party PC board into the PX... What if that board show up having a nonstable USB/SSD part? Will they be able to fix that then, or will users end up with a ROMpler like the Tempest?

Well... I hope for Sequential that they find a working solution... Would hate to see the PX end up like the Tempest also... But I asume they are sweating at work right now to solve this... They are quite silent in this thread.

I just wonder; why have no one had any problem loading the 8DIO commercial banks? It is their beta software, and I assume they are using it as well... Why are their PX not freezing when they load the samples? They must have loaded them several times during design.

USB is only used while loading the samples, so if freezing first happen when rebooting after samples was loading fine, then I doubt it is a faulty USB thing... It must be an erroneous saving to the SSD drive that is the culprit, happening when the samples are saved to the drive.

I bet it has to do with the samples themselves... 8DIO probably know what format .wav files must be in, but if some of the header data in the samples confuse the PX, maybe it screws up... Question is if the 8 DIO software needs to clean up the samples and their headers when writing them with their software, or if the PX is taking .wav header info and other data into account when loading/saving.

It may be that the secret lies in how much and what meta data is saved with the samples, plus maybe even the format of the wav files (bit depths, sample rates etc.)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 11:21:31 AM by Razmo »
If you need me, follow the shadows...

Shaw

« Reply #56 on: January 06, 2019, 11:20:14 AM »
I just wonder; why have no one had any problem loading the 8DIO commercial banks? It is their beta software
Very logical observation.
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #57 on: January 06, 2019, 11:27:10 AM »
I would suggest that people who have had their PX freeze, look closely at the metadata of their wave files, and start to compare them with others who had a freeze too... See if there is any similarities... Maybe even send these to Sequential too if they would want to look at them... Because if 8DIO uses the same beta software, then the problem HAS to be the samples themselves somehow... I think.

« Reply #58 on: January 06, 2019, 11:51:46 AM »
I would suggest that people who have had their PX freeze, look closely at the metadata of their wave files, and start to compare them with others who had a freeze too... See if there is any similarities... Maybe even send these to Sequential too if they would want to look at them... Because if 8DIO uses the same beta software, then the problem HAS to be the samples themselves somehow... I think.

That's almost certainly not the case.

We've seen an owner whose PX is currently unusable send the contents of their USB drive to Sequential, who were able to install the same samples without issues.  We've also seen an owner have problems after installing the Neutron VCO samples, while several of us have installed them without problems.  There's something else at work here.

I also don't believe the USB port on the PX has anything to do with it.  In every instance I've seen described the issues arise after installation, not during.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #59 on: January 06, 2019, 12:02:07 PM »
In that case it must be the loading/writing to the SSD that is the problem... Hope for DSI's sake that it is software related.