Just popped my DSI cherry!

Just popped my DSI cherry!
« on: December 27, 2018, 07:35:41 AM »
I was actually looking to get a poly (and still will) but a new Pro 2 I’ve had my eye on just got further reduced to a price that was too good to pass up. I really want to get some FM sounds and I wasn’t right keen on the P12 so this was my best choice I felt. Looking forward to those SWEET filters too!

Re: Just popped my DSI cherry!
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2018, 08:45:52 AM »
Congrats, Quatschmacher! Enjoy the modulation powerhouse. And don't forget that the Pro 2 can be played polyphonically as well.

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2018, 09:48:13 AM »
Congrats, Quatschmacher! Enjoy the modulation powerhouse. And don't forget that the Pro 2 can be played polyphonically as well.

Thanks, Paul. The vast modulation and the linear FM are what sold me. I sometimes get frustrated with the Subsequent 37 when I’ve exhausted the modulation busses (even though I still really love it). The other positive side to the Pro 2 is that having it might help me decide between the OB-6 and P-6 as I’ll be able to see if I have a preference for one filter or the other. Being able to play polyphonically will be a huge boon too (though I could really do with a minimum of 6 voices to play many of the voicings I use regularly). It’s certainly exciting.

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2018, 09:53:02 AM »
By the way, have you used the external input and envelope follower? Will external input gate the ADSR or does the filter cutoff always follow the shape of the input envelope? I’m wondering if I can feed it an octave/fuzz combo from my bass guitar and have the Pro 2 make that signal sound synthy.

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2018, 07:55:44 AM »
By the way, have you used the external input and envelope follower? Will external input gate the ADSR or does the filter cutoff always follow the shape of the input envelope? I’m wondering if I can feed it an octave/fuzz combo from my bass guitar and have the Pro 2 make that signal sound synthy.

What you would usually do after you connected an external source to the audio input and deactivated the internal oscillators is to assign the envelope follower to the VCA and the Filter Cutoff (whichever one you're using) in the mod matrix. In that case, the attack and release phase of the envelope follower will determine how the filter and VCA behavior is articulated over time. However hard or soft you hit the strings on your bass guitar will further influence the intensity of that articulation, so basically in the same manner as a velocity parameter would. I'd say this is the best way to do it if you wanna keep playing the bass in a typical manner.

An alternative to having the VCA being triggered by the envelope follower is to assign the external input to be the gate source under Misc Parameters. Then the external audio signal will immediately switch on or off the Pro 2's signal flow so to speak.

If you don't want the envelope follower to trigger the filter behaviour, but would like the filtered audio signal to follow the settings of one of the filter envelopes, then you can assign "Ext Audio In" to "Filter 1 Cutoff," for example, in the mod matrix. Leave the mod amount at zero. Then assign "F1 Env" to modulate the intensity of the previous modulation slot.

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2018, 08:04:53 AM »
Thanks Paul,

I’m guessing I’d want to have the VCA following the envelope of my bass whilst using the audio in to gate the Pro 2’s filter ADSRs (with perhaps a touch of envelope follower routed to the ADSR amount affecting the filter for a bit of dynamic control).

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2019, 11:03:40 AM »
Congrats and welcome! You're in for a treat....

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2019, 07:02:48 AM »
Congrats and welcome! You're in for a treat....

Thanks. I am smitten, I love having more keys, the extra performsnce controls and modulation capabilities. Sadly it’s had to go back to the shop to have a board replaced as the two cutoff pots became really wobbly after two weeks. I don’t seem to be having much luck at present: my Subsequent 37 just came back from having the oscillator levels correctly balanced and three preset buttons were stuck (which I managed to fix) and the noise pot is now wobbly and rotating off-axis so that’s got to go back a second time.

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2019, 08:22:33 AM »
The bad luck continues. I’m now synth-less. The Pro 2 came back with knobs at funny angles and I ended up returning it for a refund. I will be getting another but I may get a poly first, I’m leaning more to P6/OB-6.

My Subsequent came back with replaced pots but had a totally non-functional pot on the filter decay so has gone back yet again. I really hope it’s fixed properly and doesn’t come back damaged this time.