New Tempest Owner - Question on knob positions / filtering

New Tempest Owner - Question on knob positions / filtering
« on: December 25, 2018, 01:30:28 PM »
Hi,

New Tempest owner here, purchased a few weeks ago for about £800 UKP.

Love it, owned an MPC Live and Digitone previously and this is definitely "my" machine. Didn't get on with the Digitone and MPC Live was uninspiring in use. Tempest is the polar opposite.

Question, how do you guys get round this?

I have a heavily low passed bass sound muted.
I bring in a kick drum by low passing it from inaudible up to audible to give a French house filter opening effect.
I now want to do the same with my bass sound but naturally the physical lowpass knob is at 100% so as soon as I engage it after selecting the bass sound it sends the low passed bass right up to 100%

Is there a way to get round this issue whilst still having this ability?

Cheers

Re: New Tempest Owner - Question on knob positions / filtering
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2018, 03:04:54 PM »
There are a number of ways to do this.

Use a free running lfo to open the filter rather than do it manually.

Use the FX sliders.

Let us know if you need more pointers.

For £800 you got an absolute bargain - well done!
Noise, Noodles and Doodles: http://bit.ly/mrjonesthebutcher

Sleep of Reason

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2018, 12:42:35 PM »
I just bought one new and finally feel like I've hit upon a keeper as well. I only wish I wouldn't have listened to the naysayers and bought it earlier. It certainly has some head scratching omissions, but the sound, synth engine flexibility, and workflow (while recording) are in a league of its own.

Of the recent drum machines I've briefly had in my possession, the ranking is as follows:
1.Tempest

2. Elektron Rytm Mk.II
3. Roland TR-8S
4. Elektron Digitakt
5. Arturia DrumBrute
6. Roland TR-09

« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 12:46:25 PM by Sleep of Reason »

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 12:54:07 PM »
Question, how do you guys get round this?

I have a heavily low passed bass sound muted.
I bring in a kick drum by low passing it from inaudible up to audible to give a French house filter opening effect.
I now want to do the same with my bass sound but naturally the physical lowpass knob is at 100% so as soon as I engage it after selecting the bass sound it sends the low passed bass right up to 100%

Is there a way to get round this issue whilst still having this ability?

You'll notice that it says "Show" in soft grey letters below the 4-Pole button in the filter section... If you hold 'Shift' and hit that button, it will take you to the filter page without changing the filter type.  Then you can use the soft-knobs below the OLED display to change the filter cutoff frequency from its current position without getting an abrupt jump in value.

Cheers!