Sequencer transpose in Unison

jconway3

• Rev 2, Pro 2 & OB6
Sequencer transpose in Unison
« on: December 24, 2018, 02:53:39 PM »
There has been some chat about the implementation of a transposition feature that would not require the use of the record button.
Having just purchased an OB 6 I have spent the day making patches and am pleasantly surprised to have discovered the firmware updated  sequencer function whereby
If unison is turned on and the sequencer is started you can transpose the playback simply by playing the desired key on the keyboard. Obviously running the sequencer in unison  has limited capabilities but it’s great for Bass and percussive sounds.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 03:47:54 PM by jconway3 »

LoboLives

Re: Undocumented Sequencer Bonus ?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2018, 03:38:12 PM »
There has been some chat about the implementation of a transposition feature that would not require the use of the record button.
Having just purchased an OB 6 I have spent the day making patches and am pleasantly surprised to have discovered an undocumented sequencer function.
If unison is turned on and the sequencer is started you can transpose the playback simply by playing the desired key on the keyboard. Obviously running the sequencer in unison  has limited capabilities but it’s great for Bass and percussive sounds.
I’ve checked my Rev 2 but unfortunately this does not seem to work on the Rev 2. I don’t have access to a Prophet 6 to test.

Dear Sequential please don’t remove this in a future firmware update.
J.

It was a firmware update for both the P6 and OB6. Hopefully both the REV2 and the PX get this as well.

jconway3

• Rev 2, Pro 2 & OB6
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2018, 03:44:40 PM »
Thanks  I see it listed in the recent firmware. It’s curious though, why only on unison patches ?

Re: Sequencer transpose in Unison
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2018, 04:56:46 PM »
I'm just glad we can finally turn on Unison with the Sequencer running now, it was always annoying having to stop playback just to turn on the phat button.  :)

LoboLives

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2018, 08:43:22 PM »
Thanks  I see it listed in the recent firmware. It’s curious though, why only on unison patches ?

I think it's just the way the voice architecture is set up. I would like to see it in poly mode as well. It should be possible. Maybe in a future update.

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2019, 02:53:37 PM »
I think that the way they did it makes some sense...in unison, the keyboard is effectively locked anyways on the DSI synths as playing on the keyboard will not 'steal' the show from the sequence (some other synths do enable voice stealing...e.g. the MicroFreak).
In poly mode, the sequence is often used as a backdrop to work out melodies or pads for accompaniment (I often mix and match some sequencing stuff with a loop in my DAW to 'audition' musical ideas. This de-legitimizes the use of the keyboard (without some arbiter like the record key) to transpose the sequence.

In some ways the OB-6/Prophet-6 platform is awesome, but there are some handicaps using it as a full performance synth.
DSI OB-6, Nord Electro 3HP & 6HP, Roland SoundCanvas SC55mkii, Beatstep Pro, KeyStep, Roland SE-02, MPD18 (+mpcstuff), Roland TD-4 V-drums, Fender-Rhodes Stage MK1, Reaper, plus dozens of acoustic instruments

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2019, 12:34:22 PM »
This was a very pleasant surprise for me as well. I don't know when it was implemented but I would like to say Thanks to Sequential for this one!!! It really helped with the workflow when I was creating the 98 demonstrations for Volume I.  :D

Randy