Razmo's Tempest Project Thread

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
Razmo's Tempest Project Thread
« on: December 22, 2018, 10:20:11 AM »
As I'm about to put a finishing touch to my REV2 soundbank project early in January, my next project is going to be for the Tempest.

I recently bought a Tempest for the third time, and this time it's for keeps. But as with almost all other synths I've had, finding the sounds that I want to use is hard, so I'll have to create them myself, and thus, I'll begin a sounds/beats project for the Tempest as soon as my REV2 bank is released.

I'll be posting sound examples in this thread, and share my findings when it comes to percussion tips and tricks on the Tempest here as well, and any discussion about Tempest is welcome :)

I will be creating both percussion and instruments for Tempest, mainly because I've begun preparing my future music plans, which will be a "One track, One synth" kind of approach... i seem to work best when I can focus on just ONE synth for a project, and thus I want to be able to create a full score with both percussion and synth sounds on Tempest in the future.

I find this approach challenging and exiting...

Feel free to comment on anything Tempest related, to get this thread "warmed up" :)
If you need me, follow the shadows...

Re: Razmo's Tempest Project Thread
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2018, 10:44:08 AM »
Nice to have you here setting things in motion Razmo :P T’s Looking good in there!

Stoss

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2018, 09:46:00 PM »
Those knobs. :) Worth the $$$.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2019, 03:27:19 PM »
I've been toying a bit with Tempest's sequencer function regarding external sequencing... I intend on using Tempest with a monophonic analog desktop synth for bassline duties since that would be practical for me since I'm not using a DAW as a sequencer anymore. I'd like to be able to have Tempest sequence such a module so that I can get a groove and baseline going tight.

Tempest seems like it's perfect for this case... it has only one sequencer channel which is enough, and it's not polyphonic which is also not a problem, and it can even change stuff per step that makes it even better (step length, velocity and note).

Everything was fine until I recorded a track... when I pressed the pad, I could hear the external module play, but when I pressed play, there was absolutely no sound coming from the module, even when the event was clearly there.

It took me some time to figure out what was wrong... I had set up the first six pads to play on each their own voice, and the pad I chose for the external MIDI sequencer was set to "-" ... now had that pad been a Tempest sound I would have understood that no sound was coming out since all voices was reserved... but this was a MIDI sequence going out via MIDI DIN, there should be no reason to not send those MIDI notes... but it seems that this is how Tempest works regarding this... if the pad cannot find a free dynamic voice, then it will not play the MIDI notes either.

This is really a bit of a bummer... that means that a MIDI sequencer track actually clogs up a Tempest voice... as if there was enough of those really  ::)

I tried to switch off all oscillators for the sound on the pad that I use for the MIDI sequencer, but it still steals a voice... i do not know if there is any way around this, but it sucks.... really  ::)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 03:29:36 PM by Razmo »

cbmd

• Sequential
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2019, 03:44:56 PM »
Turn the output LEVEL of the pad to zero.  This should disable the pad from stealing a voice.
Product Designer
Sequential | Oberheim

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2019, 03:47:47 PM »
Turn the output LEVEL of the pad to zero.  This should disable the pad from stealing a voice.

COOL! Thank you! :)

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2019, 03:49:18 PM »

erm.... yes, it does... but it also stops sending MIDI Notes out from the sequencer when i set the volume to zero  :(

cbmd

• Sequential
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2019, 06:26:49 PM »
Ah ok, try setting Amp envelope/velocity amount to zero, turn level back up...Think that's the way to do it.
Product Designer
Sequential | Oberheim

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2019, 05:28:35 PM »
Ah ok, try setting Amp envelope/velocity amount to zero, turn level back up...Think that's the way to do it.

I'm sorry, but this also will not work... a voice is stolen by the MIDI Out sequencer... tried it.

cbmd

• Sequential
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2019, 05:56:12 PM »
Just pulled out a Tempest here and can confirm what you are encountering.  It's just a limitation of the feature in this case.
Product Designer
Sequential | Oberheim

ddp

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2019, 10:50:09 PM »
i did recently sell my tempest because i like the moog one that much, but it's fun to read this is your third tempest.  I really enjoyed mine, it was fun despite the things that should have been fixed.  Some things are fun, the tempest is fun.
Linnstrument, Pro 3 SE, Tempest, Prophet 10 & 12, Synclavier Regen, Cirklon 2, Torso T-1, Max/Ableton/Push 3, Kawai MP11SE, Pioneer Pro XDJ-XZ.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2019, 03:09:20 AM »
i did recently sell my tempest because i like the moog one that much, but it's fun to read this is your third tempest.  I really enjoyed mine, it was fun despite the things that should have been fixed.  Some things are fun, the tempest is fun.

Sure... but loosing a Tempest voice, to the sequencer is really... well..  ::)

but I know this thing is having some leftover issues... i can just hope that Sequential will write them down, and maybe do a single update more when the last bugs found has been added... they could wait a year or so, letting people report them, and then see if they can fix some of them... there are a few bad ones still left... this is one of them in my opinion, and I'd definitely NOT call it anything else but a bug.

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2019, 03:24:07 AM »
Not going to happen Razmo Dave himself chimed in and made it clear that this is the last OS..You have to make peace with it ;)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 03:26:46 AM by Yorgos Arabatzis »

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2019, 11:31:27 AM »
Not going to happen Razmo Dave himself chimed in and made it clear that this is the last OS..You have to make peace with it ;)

Dreams and hope always live on... But my experience and rational thought tells me you're right...

Anyway, I cannot accept that I loose a precious voice on this, so I have changed my initial thought of using the MIDI sequencer part at all... I got other ways to handle the problem  ;)

Sleep of Reason

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2019, 11:36:02 AM »
I've been looking into the Squarp Pyramid, which has extra LFOs for my OB-6. Though it's hard to justify spending that kind of extra money on just a sequencer considering how minimal my setup is.

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2019, 12:04:17 AM »
I've been looking into the Squarp Pyramid, which has extra LFOs for my OB-6. Though it's hard to justify spending that kind of extra money on just a sequencer considering how minimal my setup is.

This will also work for the Tempest btw.
You could use the MIDI CCs for "foot pedal", "MIDI mod wheel", "MIDI breath", "MIDI expression" to send data to the Tempest and in the modulation matrix modulate what ever you want.

Source: Long time Pyramid user.