Slow/Poor MIDI Response

Slow/Poor MIDI Response
« on: December 21, 2018, 01:54:15 PM »
Has anyone else noticed a slow/poor response when sending MIDI notes to their Rev2? It is particularly evident with the first note in a track or sequence, which often does not play at all, but some of the other notes (at random) also seem to trigger poorly (if that makes sense - with less velocity than the others). I've experienced this with FL Studio, Cubase, Ableton and Digitone. Maybe it's an OS problem (I haven't updated in a while). I certainly hope it's not an issue with my machine. 

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
Re: Slow/Poor MIDI Response
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2018, 03:04:09 PM »
Have you performed a calibration of the oscillators and filters? ... it could be that one voice is off or something like that.
If you need me, follow the shadows...

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2018, 11:17:14 PM »
Have you performed a calibration of the oscillators and filters? ... it could be that one voice is off or something like that.

I have. I should have mentioned that this has been an ongoing problem for several months (since I first got the Rev2). And I have tried sequencing it through both USB and MIDI, with the same results.

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2018, 08:58:22 AM »
Has anyone else noticed a slow/poor response when sending MIDI notes to their Rev2? It is particularly evident with the first note in a track or sequence, which often does not play at all, but some of the other notes (at random) also seem to trigger poorly (if that makes sense - with less velocity than the others). I've experienced this with FL Studio, Cubase, Ableton and Digitone. Maybe it's an OS problem (I haven't updated in a while). I certainly hope it's not an issue with my machine.
Is that with 8 or 16 voices? I own a 8 voices and indeed have quite a number of issues with Ableton. I’m used to record the synth and then position start/end markups manually to keep everything in sync. I thought if it was related to the rev2, the number of voices would affect even more the result.
This being said i have no issue when I play with the keyboard and I wonder what the return of experiences of module owners is.

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2018, 09:44:01 AM »
I've got an 8 voice Rev2 (keyboard version). However, the problem I have is not related to syncing. It's about the synth not receiving certain midi note information - it often does not receive the first note of a sequence (from a DAW or a hardware sequencer such as the one on the Digitone) and the velocity on certain notes in the sequence is weak (usually the same notes). As for the latter isssue, I am not sure whether it is a case on the Rev2 not receiving the correct velocity information, or if one (or more) of the voices on the Rev2 is faulty. If I play the same key on the Rev2 eight times in a row, for example, with the same intensity (to the degree that that is possible), sometimes there are differences in velocity output, sometimes not. So I'm really not sure.     

I've calibrated multiple times and I updated the OS today (to 1.1.4.27), and the issue(s) continue. Not happy...

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2018, 04:08:17 PM »
Are you playing in said midi notes or programming them? This is maybe obvious but just to clarify, if you’re playing the parts in and you’re slightly early on the attack on beat one, the on message won’t be there in time because it was recorded at the end of the loop rather than the beginning.

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2018, 01:37:24 AM »
Are you playing in said midi notes or programming them? This is maybe obvious but just to clarify, if you’re playing the parts in and you’re slightly early on the attack on beat one, the on message won’t be there in time because it was recorded at the end of the loop rather than the beginning.

I send the midi notes from a DAW (same thing happens in all the ones I own, although Ableton appears to be better in this respect) or my Digitone. I don't play the notes myself. Also, the level (or velocity) of some of the notes in the middle of a sequence will drop off somewhat, but not always and not in a predicatble manner, so I don't think it is a "playing" issue. I should mention that once the sequence loops back to the beginning, the first note is never dropped. Subsequent notes can lose velocity, however. I wonder if it may not be an issue at all, but rather a result of LFO settings/behaviour. I'll have to look into that. This would (might) not explain the dropped first note, though...

shiihs

• phasing in and out of reality
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2018, 06:55:52 AM »

I have seen similar problems in linux. For me it seems to depend on which program I use to send midi to the rev2. With my ardour5 DAW it get the problem, but if I send midi from supercollider it seems to work quite reliably.
--
gear: prophet rev2 16 voice, kawai NV10, casio wk-7600, Roland Integra-7, supercollider, ardour

links:

https://www.youtube.com/stefaanhimpe
https://soundcloud.com/stefaanhimpe
https://technogems.blogspot.com
https://a-touch-of-music.blogspot.com/

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2020, 01:53:00 PM »
Any body have a solution to this problem. I just bought a Rev2 16 voice desktop and have the same issue. It works fine when triggered as a stand alone. But when used with a daw sending midi notes it's received inconsistently.

Super frustrating, may just return the Rev2.

maxter

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2020, 02:48:33 PM »
What MIDI interface are you using? In many cases it doesn't matter, but in some cases it does. I've used cheap MIDI interfaces that work flawlessly with most synths and controllers, but when used with some particular instrument or midi controller, they fail to capture note ons and offs and other stuff. If you have another MIDI interface available, test if it works any better. If you are using the USB midi port of the Rev2, try using DIN MIDI instead. To narrow down the problem, if nothing else.
The Way the Truth and the Life

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2020, 10:10:33 PM »
What MIDI interface are you using? In many cases it doesn't matter, but in some cases it does. I've used cheap MIDI interfaces that work flawlessly with most synths and controllers, but when used with some particular instrument or midi controller, they fail to capture note ons and offs and other stuff. If you have another MIDI interface available, test if it works any better. If you are using the USB midi port of the Rev2, try using DIN MIDI instead. To narrow down the problem, if nothing else.
Agreed USB could be the culprit especially when you have the sound card on one usb and the rev on the other usb. Try to reduce the complexity and use midi. I have both midi and sound on one device and then a midi hub for all midi devices. It is pretty cheap and the other advantage of midi is Optocoupling which drastically reduced noise while usb is prone to convey a lot of noise.

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2020, 02:20:36 PM »
Hey there, I'm now watching this thread and wondering, likewise, if anyone has found an answer to this? I have been having the exact same issue with the velocity/volume of the REV 2 being inconsistent , when coming from MIDI, with the velocity/volume when played directly from the REV 2. I'm also using Ableton Live, so if there be any insight in relation to Live transmitting midi data out to hardware, I would be super appreciative for that as well. I've had the issue in both Live 8 and 10. Kind of makes you want to cry when you put your heart into playing a part, finally get it feeling right, play it back and then hear something very very different. Haha.... But, seriously....that's a rough experience.

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2020, 12:02:01 AM »
Are you sure you’re not creating a midi loop? If MIDI control is on you can’t also have local control on.