DSM Discontinued?

chysn

DSM Discontinued?
« on: December 21, 2018, 10:25:36 AM »
ModularGrid shows all three DSM Eurorack modules as discontinued (e.g., https://www.modulargrid.net/e/dave-smith-modular-dsm03-feedback). They don't show as such on the Sequential website, though, and they're still widely available at retailers.

So it may or may not be too early for a retrospective, but I do appreciate Sequential trying its hand at Eurorack modules for a while.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

megamarkd

• One day I will fund a vuvuzela marching band.
Re: DSM Discontinued?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2018, 06:23:54 PM »
ModularGrid shows all three DSM Eurorack modules as discontinued (e.g., https://www.modulargrid.net/e/dave-smith-modular-dsm03-feedback).

Ah I think that the particular user who updated the Modulargrid entries has taken it upon themselves to mark the modules as 'discontinued'.  I don't know them personally, but I don't think they are DSI/Sequential staff as their submission doesn't really reflect that, with the last info change on any DSM modules being the only time they have ever edited them.
They don't show as such on the Sequential website, though, and they're still widely available at retailers.

So it may or may not be too early for a retrospective, but I do appreciate Sequential trying its hand at Eurorack modules for a while.

The DSM modules are still on the site under https://www.sequential.com/product-category/cat-modules/
Geez you had me worried for a second there, I still want to add all three to my desk-space consuming cases (having 1 1/2 months off means all these rails I ended up with are being put into any suitcase type thing I can find!)

chysn

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2018, 06:13:16 AM »
Hmm, okay. I never tried editing a module before and I didn't know that just anyone could do it.

I've marked the three DSM modules as "currently available," since the Sequential website is the best authority, so we'll see what happens now....
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

LoboLives

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2019, 12:22:35 AM »
And they are gone.

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2019, 02:36:20 AM »

chysn

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2019, 09:03:57 AM »
Yep.

I think it's a matter of them slowly dipping their toes into an industry that expects more of an all-in approach. But, you know, you regret most the things you don't try.

DSM-01 was okay, but the filter market is super-crowded.

DSM-02 probably seemed like too much of a black box for modular musicians.

DMS-03 was something special.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

he/him/his

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2019, 09:48:54 AM »
I guess the Eurorack market is becoming to the synth world what the effect pedal market is to the guitar world. It has become very crowded and if you're not exclusively committed to it, i.e. if your main market is elsewhere, it probably makes not much sense.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2019, 03:46:10 AM »
https://www.sequential.com/product-category/eurorack-modules/

Ah, okay. That's a well-hidden link. You only get there if you click on "Store," but there's no Eurorack modules category in the according drop-down list and they are not listed under "All Instruments" anymore. It's a bit like they've been hidden on purpose.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2019, 11:40:13 AM »
It must be semi-retirement.  ;D

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2019, 12:35:36 PM »
Indeed. Less stressful part-time work thanks to hiding most of the time.