Documenting Rev2 Hz dB and Millisecond Equivalents

Documenting Rev2 Hz dB and Millisecond Equivalents
« on: December 18, 2018, 04:43:47 PM »
Hey, was wondering if anyone would like to help me create a spreadsheet and graphs to document and plot the equivalent values of the potentiometer knobs to make learning and programming easier from patch descriptions. There are a lot of values, so this could take a while on my own; figured many hands can make for light labor!

Re: Documenting Rev2 Hz dB and Millisecond Equivalents
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2018, 02:55:09 AM »
I’m not entirely clear on what exactly you wish to do?!

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2018, 07:11:54 AM »

There are a lot of recipes in different texts for programming different patches which describe the parameters in Hz, dB and milliseconds; not only would I like the LFO and  midi value equivalents so I can program these relatively universal patches,  it would help me conceptually contextualize what I’m actually doing. That make more sense?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 07:13:45 AM by double-u »

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2018, 09:53:20 AM »
I'm pretty sure that DSI, now Sequential, hardware/software engineers have all of that specific information on file. They know exactly the curves of the envelopes, their specific times according to specific knob values, as well as the same thing for all parameters on the REV2 and all of their instruments. Maybe they could share that information with you and save you a lot of time and efforts reverse engineering all of this ?
Just a thought...

Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2018, 03:01:04 PM »
I'm pretty sure that DSI, now Sequential, hardware/software engineers have all of that specific information on file. They know exactly the curves of the envelopes, their specific times according to specific knob values, as well as the same thing for all parameters on the REV2 and all of their instruments. Maybe they could share that information with you and save you a lot of time and efforts reverse engineering all of this ?
Just a thought...

I contacted them first and was told they don’t have any of that information :(

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2018, 03:07:24 PM »
Come on. Ican’t believe that they designed software envelopes without calculating exactly how long the VCA would stay open, or the filter ?

I think it’s much more a case of: we don’t want to share proprietary design data with anyone...
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2018, 03:31:39 PM »
Come on. Ican’t believe that they designed software envelopes without calculating exactly how long the VCA would stay open, or the filter ?

I think it’s much more a case of: we don’t want to share proprietary design data with anyone...

Probably; but if I take the time to reverse engineer the values, you can be sure I’ll be sharing so no one else has to undergo the same meditation. Just silly that they’re not included in the manual...

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2018, 01:57:46 AM »

There are a lot of recipes in different texts for programming different patches which describe the parameters in Hz, dB and milliseconds; not only would I like the LFO and  midi value equivalents so I can program these relatively universal patches,  it would help me conceptually contextualize what I’m actually doing. That make more sense?

Yep, gotcha.

So what’s the plan to work out the conversions?

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2018, 04:25:33 PM »
I would be interested in these detailed observations on this as well. 

I just started a new thread for the Rev2, called "APPENDIX F", that maybe we can all add information like this...  hoping we can maybe put all findings like this into a single consolidated place, and then create a WIKI or maybe DSI/SEQ can just add it to the manual.   In the new thread, to get started, I added some detailed findings about OSC SLOP that I experimented with, and some lookup tables for modulating OSC FREQ to specific intervals...  am hoping we can all chime in and add detailed info on the Rev2 math, modulation formulas, curves, lookup tables, etc...     

OB-X8, Pro 3, P6, Rev2, Take 5, 3rd Wave, Deepmind, PolyBrute, Sub 37
Sound Sets:
https://sounddesign.sellfy.store/
Free Patches:
https://www.PresetPatch.com/user/CreativeSpiral