OB-6 owner who want to buy Rev2

OB-6 owner who want to buy Rev2
« on: December 12, 2018, 09:06:36 AM »
So i'm planing to get new synth and i wonder if its worth getting Rev2,
i already have OB-6 and i love that thing, the sounds is amazing.

Would Rev2 be to similar for me or is it totally different synth

Re: OB-6 owner who want to buy Rev2
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2018, 10:22:27 AM »
I own both and they sound different enough so they go well together. You can get sounds out of a REV2 that the OB6 could produce, and vice-versa. For one, the filter is very different from one to the other. The modulation matrix on the REV2 is a very welcome capability that the OB6 lacks. The added polyphony also helps the REV2's case, which allows for long envelope times without voice stealing. The 4 LFOs are also a big plus. The layering and split mode gives the REV2 an edge.
But the OB6 is, well, the superb OB6.
The best thing to do, as always and if at all possible, would be to go try the REV2 for yourself and see if it's different enough for your needs.
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

Re: OB-6 owner who want to buy Rev2
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2018, 10:26:09 AM »
All subtractive synths have a lot of overlap--LPF, mostly the same oscillator waves, ADSRs that may or may not have additional stages, an LFO or more, etc. The main difference between the Rev2 and the OB-6 is the amount of modulation options you get--all of those LFOs, additional envelope, gated sequencer, mod matrix, etc. So there's a lot more available for sound design, evolving patches, etc. If you're more of a keys player that might be stuff you don't need and find that there's too much overlap to make it worth it. But for synthesists it's what makes the Rev2 so attractive--a genuine analog polysynth that gets as close to modular as anything else out there.