Synths that compliment the P12?

lt773

Synths that compliment the P12?
« on: February 16, 2016, 08:06:12 PM »
Any good combos that work well for you guys? Personally I was looking into getting a Nord Drum 2, seem like they might make a good match.

Re: Synths that compliment the P12?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 05:09:19 AM »
depends what you are looking for? what kind of sound?
all synths are welcome at my place  ;)

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 05:23:38 AM »
Sonically the P12 has a very wide range so I think it goes with anything. ND2 is pretty much the same deal but very focused on percussive sounds but it's a bit of a odd unit. You will either need a sequencer or play it live. If you are looking for a drum machine it's not a great pick in my opinion but if you are looking for the sounds it can make and to sequence it from a external sequencer it's fantastic. Using it with my (now sold) Pyramid was great fun!

Sonically a moog (maybe the Minitaur?) or the Pro 2 would complement it well sonically I think since the filter the usual area of complaint with the P12 and both those alternatives have filters that's quite different from P12's.

How do you use your gear? Pattern based sequencing, multi track recording, or something else? The way i see it your way of making music is pretty much what determines what would be a good fit.

I'm looking at the Pro 2 and Minilogue myself because they sound quite different and have great sequencers. I'm not using my ND2 along with the P12 at the moment but that will probably change with a Pro 2.
Prophet 12

lt773

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 06:35:28 PM »
I've mainly just was interested in what other people use with it. I like to make atmospheric/ambient music with the 12 and lots of hw effects and looking for other things to pair with it. I have a prophet 6, but I am just not happy with it tonally, and it is just too basic for me. I used to have a moog little phatty, and play my brothers minitaur from time to time, but I'm just not into the moog sound anymore. I mainly just do multi track recordings. It's hard for me to focus on more than one synth at a time.

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2016, 11:13:02 PM »
How about something very different like the Electron Monomachine, just been reduced in price and a very underestimated digital synth.

Or maybe a VSynth or virus.

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2016, 03:02:15 AM »
I like pairing the P12 with the Sub 37. But if you're not into the Moog sound that's probably not a good choice for you.

dmfs

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2016, 03:09:57 PM »
P12 and Tempest to me play well together!
Prophet 12 ,Prophet 10 Rev 4 ,Tempest, Pro3 ,Moog Taurus 3 , Moog Minitaur , K5000s, BSII

Shaw

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2016, 06:05:02 PM »
Any good combos that work well for you guys? Personally I was looking into getting a Nord Drum 2, seem like they might make a good match.

Grab a used Oberheim Matrix 1000.  Quite different from the P12.
Or maybe the Yamaha FS1R -- the FM synth behemoth.
If you're not interested in rack mount synths, please disregard my 2˘

Cheers!
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2016, 02:35:41 PM »
What makes a good match? I kind of like the roland integra/fa, it's too smooth on it's own :-P ..

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2016, 08:29:31 AM »
I like combining my Jupiter-80 with my Prophet 12. Both are good for ambient, evolving pads, but they are quite different sonically and feature-wise. The Prophet 12 has great distortions and single-sound complexity, while the Jupiter-80 is a layering monster with a nicer/softer/bass-ier overall sound. Both have a greater span of musical, interesting sounds than "simpler" analogs. So possibly something in that vein?

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2016, 09:33:34 AM »
I've mainly just was interested in what other people use with it. I like to make atmospheric/ambient music with the 12 and lots of hw effects and looking for other things to pair with it. I have a prophet 6, but I am just not happy with it tonally, and it is just too basic for me. I used to have a moog little phatty, and play my brothers minitaur from time to time, but I'm just not into the moog sound anymore. I mainly just do multi track recordings. It's hard for me to focus on more than one synth at a time.
i would say Virus TI2, it's very versatile and deep synth! it's hard to get bored with it. and it sounds great.

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2016, 08:57:18 AM »
I've got the P12 module here with a Virus TI2 and an Analog Four and they all seem to play nice together for ambient / electronic music. (Eventide Space for 'verb).

Mr Kay

• The Disease
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2016, 10:51:36 AM »
I'd say maybe a digital synth as bank of sounds (Roland JP-50, Kurzweil PC3 LE6...)

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2016, 03:39:02 PM »
Well... I do ambient as well, and have the P12 module... I'd say that any other type of synth that has some kind of either sound or synthesis method than the P12 would be a good match... but as the P12 is a pretty good allrounder, it might overlap a bit.

I've tried to narrow my selection of synths down to just eight in number, and have used quite some time and money figuring out what worked best for me, they are:

DSI P12 - for doing VA, FM and Wavetable synthesis.
DSI P08 - for doing real analog subtractive synthesis.
DSI Poly Evolver - same as for P12, but it got some differences and another sound character.
Waldorf Blofeld - VA, FM, true Wavetable, ROMpler with own samples.
Waldorf Pulse2 - Analog Mono, powerful multimode filter on this one.
MOOG Sub37 - Analog Mono, powerful filter with character.

The major decisions on these was two things: 1. Very Deep engines with mod matrix, 2. Full MIDI specs.

The deep engines is a must, as with ambient music you want to be able to create the most weird modulations quite often. Also it's important for me that many of the synths are polyphonic.

The two monos I need because of their bass sound capabilities, as I don't find any DSI instrument capable of the type of bass sound that I want to make, especialy in boming sequenced Berlin School like sequences.

I like all the above synths... they are also relatively modern, meaning no maintenance of old quirky stuff... almost all have an analog part in their signal chain, as I'm a natural analog guy... only exeption is the Blofeld, which will go as soon as some company makes a new sample/wavetable oscillator synth with analog filters on their voices.

I still have space for two synths in my setup, but nothing really impress me at the moment exept maybe Hypersynth Xenophone... otherwise I'm waiting patiently for DSI's next reveal  :)

Hope that was of some help...
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 03:40:38 PM by Razmo »
If you need me, follow the shadows...

Shaw

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2016, 04:43:49 PM »
The major decisions on these was two things: 1. Very Deep engines with mod matrix, 2. Full MIDI specs.

The deep engines is a must, as with ambient music you want to be able to create the most weird modulations quite often. Also it's important for me that many of the synths are polyphonic.

Not Analogue, but have you ever played a Kurzweil K2x / PC3k series?   Talk about some deep synthesis possibilities.

Cheers
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2016, 05:50:18 PM »

Not Analogue, but have you ever played a Kurzweil K2x / PC3k series?   Talk about some deep synthesis possibilities.

Cheers

Nope... these are samplers right? ... I've always had a problem with samplers, as getting samples in and out of them are usualy problematic, especialy if it involves SCSI... I dropped samplers, exept those that are modern, and have flash-memory like the Waldorf Blofeld... but I'm certain that the ones you mention are good, as I've seen their names mentioned several times... though, I've always been an E-MU guy... had the E6400/E5000 Ultras for many many years.

If I'm ever getting a sampler again, it must have a live and direct sample transfer between computer and sampler, preferably via USB connection...
If you need me, follow the shadows...

Shaw

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2016, 06:14:42 PM »
Nope... these are samplers right? ... I've always had a problem with samplers, as getting samples in and out of them are usualy problematic, especialy if it involves SCSI... I dropped samplers, exept those that are modern, and have flash-memory like the Waldorf Blofeld... but I'm certain that the ones you mention are good, as I've seen their names mentioned several times... though, I've always been an E-MU guy... had the E6400/E5000 Ultras for many many years.

If I'm ever getting a sampler again, it must have a live and direct sample transfer between computer and sampler, preferably via USB connection...

I believe the PC3K has USB transfer of samples... But it isn't just a sampler, it's also a VA / FM engine... If you like the Virus, you should take a look at the Kurzweil line.

Cheers.

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2016, 09:38:05 PM »
The pc3k is indeed VERY deep but for ME a major pita editing sounds..Had to sell it before going MAD..  Also transfering sounds takes forever and a while..   Pianos and voices sounds are pretty nice.. many other sounds are ridiculously bad and old sounding. Personally i couldnt make it play as good as the FA08 with the p12, i'm sure someone else will though..

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2016, 09:20:49 AM »
iM Thinking about getting a korg microkorg xl. for the vocoder, and it looks sweet

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2016, 12:36:40 PM »
My rig includes a Moog T3 & Source, but I also slave a Roland XV-5080 to my 12 which to me gives my a plethora of sounds that are completely different than the Prophet. The Roland tends to cover the "basics" (orchestra, piano, choir, strings, etc.) while the Prophet brings the expansive selection of hands on control of extreme "synthesized" sounds ... a nice pair.
Prophet 12, Taurus 3, Source, XV-5080