What are "Filter Out Mix" and "VCA" on modulation destinations?

What are "Filter Out Mix" and "VCA" on modulation destinations?
« on: December 09, 2018, 07:49:13 AM »
I tried routing audio out from a module to CV Input 1.  With amount set to 127, I hear nothing with the destination as "Filter Out Mix" and get super scratchy audio with "VCA".  What exactly are those destinations?  Manual doesn't really say much about the destinations other than they exist.

What's also interesting is that the bad audio when set to VCA was still subject to the filter, which also surprised me, as I assumed the flow would be Osc => Mixer => Filter => VCA, such that sending audio straight to the VCA skips the filter.  This can also be demonstrated by setting up a modulation of Source: Osc 1, Dest: VCA.  Filter is still appllying.

Re: What are "Filter Out Mix" and "VCA" on modulation destinations?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2018, 12:23:52 PM »
Is “filter out mix” not the same control as the “series/parallel” filter blend knob?

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2018, 12:28:32 PM »
By routing the audio-rate CV to the VCA you are amplitude modulating (AM) the VCA at audio rates, effectively rapidly moving the volume knob up and down which will give “distorted” kinds of sounds at those speeds. And no, this won’t bypass the filters.

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2018, 01:14:10 PM »
Is “filter out mix” not the same control as the “series/parallel” filter blend knob?

There's another modulation destination "Serial-Parallel" which I assumed is what you're describing

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2018, 01:16:22 PM »
By routing the audio-rate CV to the VCA you are amplitude modulating (AM) the VCA at audio rates, effectively rapidly moving the volume knob up and down which will give “distorted” kinds of sounds at those speeds. And no, this won’t bypass the filters.

So "VCA" destination is basically VCA level?  That seems even more strange that it would pass through the filter then.

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2018, 11:55:04 AM »
I tried routing audio out from a module to CV Input 1.  With amount set to 127, I hear nothing with the destination as "Filter Out Mix" and get super scratchy audio with "VCA".  What exactly are those destinations?  Manual doesn't really say much about the destinations other than they exist.

What's also interesting is that the bad audio when set to VCA was still subject to the filter, which also surprised me, as I assumed the flow would be Osc => Mixer => Filter => VCA, such that sending audio straight to the VCA skips the filter.  This can also be demonstrated by setting up a modulation of Source: Osc 1, Dest: VCA.  Filter is still appllying.

Now that I got my Pro 2 today, I can tell you that filter out mix is the mix of the signal coming out of filter 1 and filter 2. Ordinarily that mix is 50/50 if both filters are engaged. If you route the mix parameter to say the mod wheel at 127 then you’ll get just sound of one filter and its envelope; set it to -127 and you get the other filter and its envelope. Works best if the filters are running in 100% parallel. I ran one touch slider to one amount and the other to the other. Ideally it’d be great to use one slider to morph between them but it doesn’t seem possible (though I’m going to try DC Offset in the matrix to see if I can achieve it).

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2018, 01:35:15 PM »
Routing it to the pitch wheel did it as it’s bipolar.

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2019, 05:55:04 PM »
I managed to achieve a full sweep of the “filter out mix” parameter on a slider by doing the following:

Mod 1: DC|-127|filter out mix
Mod 2: slider 1 pos.|127|filter out mix
Mod 3: DC|127|Mod 2 amount

That yields fully filter 2 on lower end of slider, fully filter 1 on upper end.

Flip the -/+ assignations above to achieve the opposite orientation.