OB-6 and Moog One

Sacred Synthesis

OB-6 and Moog One
« on: December 08, 2018, 04:12:37 PM »

Re: OB-6 and Moog One
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2018, 07:36:10 PM »
For what it's worth:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0u7_9YFncY

I think it speaks volumes about how good the OB-6 sounds against a synth many times it's price!  I actually like the resonance a bit better on the OB-6(seems to have a bit more body).  I'll stick with my OB-6 thank you, Dave and Tom really knocked it out of the park on this synth!

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2018, 08:28:55 PM »
After watching this, I'm now pretty much convinced that the OB6 sounds better than the One for my personal taste. The only thing left for me to be 100% sure would be to try out a Moog One for myself.
I'm a Moog and Oberheim man at heart, but this Moog One doesn't give me goosebumps like my Minimoog D and OB6 tandem can, so far.
It seems to be missing something. Much like the Voyager. In fact the One sounds a LOT like a polyphonic Voyager probably would. I had a Voyager Old School and quickly sold it when I was fortunate enough to get my hands on a Minimoog D.

Moog engineers seem to have done the same mistake as Bob Moog did with the Voyager years ago, when he wanted to update the Minimoog D; trying to come up with an updated and much improved Memorymoog but missing the target sound wise.

It's a testament to the great talents of Tom and Dave that the OB6 sounds so bloody great even next to an expensive beast like the One.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 08:31:02 PM by AlainHubert »
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

Sleep of Reason

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2018, 10:05:27 PM »
Not sure what you're all gathering from this aside from the murder of Subdivisions. (Not to be snarky as I've had my share of whiffing on the Model D lead in my day. :P) I mean, he clearly stated he was trying to get the Moog One into Obie territory, which doesn't even scratch the surface of its potential. All I can say is I wish my OB-6 had all those bells and whistles.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 10:45:10 PM by Sleep of Reason »

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2018, 10:59:39 PM »
All I can say is I wish my OB-6 had all those bells and whistles.

For bells and whistles, I've got a Prophet REV2. Which is obviously not an OB6, but not that bad either. 

I know that this is the Sequential forum but, to be totally honest, I'm impatiently awaiting the Behringer UB-Xa enhanced clone... ;-)
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2019, 10:08:19 AM »
The OB6 sounds way better. The problem with the one is the oscillators are too tight and it does not work well, takes away the warmth and natural organic sound that Analog oscillators produce.

I think they can fix it with software, hopefully because right now it just has no body/warmth/soul to the sounds. Its a technically advanced synth with tons of features but it sounds dead in the sound department. I really hope a few months of work will fix this. I was actually excited about this instrument until I heard the sound.
Moog Modular Model 15,Korg Prophecy,Korg Z1,Nord Modular Keyboard,DSI OB6,DSI P12,DSI Rev 2 16voiceMoog Minimoog D,SEM Modules,Moog Slim Phattys,Alesis QS 8.1,Alesis QSR,Roland Integra 7,Genelec 8341s,8040,8030,Novation Peak,Kawai K5000R,Eurorack Modulars,etc..

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2019, 10:14:42 AM »
After watching this, I'm now pretty much convinced that the OB6 sounds better than the One for my personal taste. The only thing left for me to be 100% sure would be to try out a Moog One for myself.
I'm a Moog and Oberheim man at heart, but this Moog One doesn't give me goosebumps like my Minimoog D and OB6 tandem can, so far.
It seems to be missing something. Much like the Voyager. In fact the One sounds a LOT like a polyphonic Voyager probably would. I had a Voyager Old School and quickly sold it when I was fortunate enough to get my hands on a Minimoog D.

Moog engineers seem to have done the same mistake as Bob Moog did with the Voyager years ago, when he wanted to update the Minimoog D; trying to come up with an updated and much improved Memorymoog but missing the target sound wise.

It's a testament to the great talents of Tom and Dave that the OB6 sounds so bloody great even next to an expensive beast like the One.

I think sometimes featuritis gets involved tons of complex engineering a jack of all trades, everything including the kitchen sink product is produced but thr one thing everyone forgot in the race for more features and power is the basic sound.

I am a big Moog fan myself and I am so disappointed with the Moog one, I was planning to purchase one but not anymore.
Moog Modular Model 15,Korg Prophecy,Korg Z1,Nord Modular Keyboard,DSI OB6,DSI P12,DSI Rev 2 16voiceMoog Minimoog D,SEM Modules,Moog Slim Phattys,Alesis QS 8.1,Alesis QSR,Roland Integra 7,Genelec 8341s,8040,8030,Novation Peak,Kawai K5000R,Eurorack Modulars,etc..

Shaw

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2019, 10:15:22 AM »
I was actually excited about this instrument until I heard the sound.
I can certainly agree with that sentiment.  As soon as I heard the One, I thought: I’d rather get a second OB-6 (module) and have that sound... I’m just waiting to see if Dave/Sequential’s next Instrument is a expansion on the OB... fingers crossed.
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2019, 05:10:08 PM »

[/quote]
 I’m just waiting to see if Dave/Sequential’s next Instrument is a expansion on the OB... fingers crossed.
[/quote]
I wish that too, like 8 voices three lfos and a (tiny) LCD to keep track of the patches' names and parameters' values, but I'm afraid it won't happen, so I might as well end up getting a Ob-6 module as a second unit.
Man, I just love this synth!!

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2019, 06:30:59 AM »
Even without looking at the video (I'm really worn out listening to Moog One vids since its launch and its done nothing but grate on me), I know full well the OB-6 absolutely destroys it on sound/base tone and beauty of inspiration/operabilty. Moog One was a massive mis-fire imo, sonically and was far too OTT to bring home well. They should have copied DSI and downscaled a Moog Poly where SOUND was the main priority not all those ridiculous features that you pay for then most never use (if actually making music productively rather than noodling your life away looking at a touch screen).

OB-6 and Prophet 6 sound better than Moog one. Prophet 6 (I had one previously) my trade blows and sometimes the One might 'win' on some things (but for WHAT price?) but the OB-6 destroys the Prophet 6 and One.

Prophet 10 Rev 4 (Keyboard) | Trigon-6 (Keyboard) | OB-6 (Keyboard)

ddp

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2019, 07:35:28 PM »
That's silly.  I like my Moog One and it's a lot of fun.  I'm glad you like your OB-6, I loved my Prophet 6.
Linnstrument, Pro 3 SE, Tempest, Prophet 10 & 12, Synclavier Regen, Cirklon 2, Torso T-1, Max/Ableton/Push 3, Kawai MP11SE, Pioneer Pro XDJ-XZ.

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2019, 10:11:56 PM »
I agree with ddp that the statement made by SynthHead is rather silly.
Analog synthesizers are, among other things, musical tools. To say that this hammer "destroys" that hammer is irrelevant, since both tools are used to hit things, be it a nail or anything else. Yes, some hammers can be more comfortable, transmit less vibrations to the hand, feel light and well balanced. But both tools will do the job. It's purely a question of personal preferences. Exactly like analog synths.

I love the sounds of my OB6, but also of my DeepMind 12, and Minimoog D. Each can do things that the others can't, and that's why I have them in my musical toolbox. So I'm sure that there will be musicians out there that will enjoy owning and using a Moog One as much as others will enjoy and love their OB6. I'm not particularly drawn to, or impressed by, the Moog One so far I must admit. But I can understand why someone could be. To each his, or her own as long as it meets their requirements.
My two cents on it.

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2019, 05:36:40 PM »
Hey all, I'm the guy in the video. First, sorry for hacking Rush...I'm a guitarist who has become a synthesist and hastily tried to learn a little Rush right before the video shoot. :)

I just wanted to chime and say that I love both synths and it has been interesting to see peoples' comments from both DSI and Moog players. Mostly it has been really positive. Moog fans were happy that the One could pretty close to the classic Oberheim sounds (and can get closer than I quickly demonstrated), and DSI fans loved that a $3000 dollar synth sounds in the same class as one more than twice the price.

Both are fantastic sounding synths. The One can obviously do far more than the OB-6 (ridiculously so), but the raw tone on both are beautiful and quite complimentary. I like to use both in recording. If we stay away from the team sports arguments (synth brand x is better than brand y), both DSI and Moog are making fantastic synths and we are really living in a golden age of analog synthesis. Although I don't need it having a One and OB-6, I'd just like to add a Prophet 6...got to save some money for a while though!

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2019, 01:36:32 PM »
Welcome, Chris of Synthient Sound on YT !

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2019, 11:04:50 PM »
My statement is not 'silly' mate, maybe you just have low standards? maybe your ears don't prick up with harsh tone (esp on review in a mix come mix time?) why would I force Rev 2 or Moog One into my tracks when I know I won't like 99% of the tonality and have to work hard with eq to filter stuff out I could have just avoided by using a synth that doesn't sound like **** in the first place?

You do you, I'll do me. My results speak for themselves and every inch of my productions is done with the utmost concern towards quality, from writing, vocals, guitars, bass to synths... no stone unturned, I don't just use gear because It's there or because I can. Also I don't like clutter or having tons of synths (these days) even though I've had hundreds, so only the best stays, and OB-6 is the ONLY one of the current modern crop that is worthy of the space/time/money for me... It's not silly, it's just not what you agree with ok?

--- from other thread - my post

Those calling me out on being too choosy or w/e that's what we do with our tastes as musicians. I for one certainly do not need a room full of only DSI gear when I have vintage stuff, esp Roland, that does everything so well. As said, modern synth wise, very little competes with that, inc Prophet 6. But OB-6 genuinely does, and it's the only decently priced modern synth that does hang with the old gear without sounding harsh/stiff.

P6 did sound constrained and locked inside it's box kinda thing, it could never bloom or have presence, was always 'small', and yeah I know all the gain staging tricks on the mixer section to not make it so harsh, but it simply doesn't 'glow' like either the old synths OR the OB-6 (which does). It's because of a number of things, firstly the VCOs in the OB-6 are looser and more organic, the mixer stage actually seems to do something other than just be a volume control (can get a bit of drive/harmonics going on) and the filter is 10x more rich and interesting harmonically than the Prophet 6.

Not so say the P6 is awful, it's probably my next favourite modern synth and may nicer than most Moog stuff they are throwing out (which has a hollow/hard sound unless you go to the Model D and poss the Grandmother but<<< y'know simple mono).

OB-6 is instantly inspirational, doesn't need any work to dial in a great sound, and most important it has PRESENCE, it sounds like it's in the room, coming out of the speakers, just like the best vintage did. P6 suffers from a very stiff sound in general and its amp stages weren't the best design imo, learned from and improved for the OB-6.

I just knew after lots of discontent and never-quite-there sound making on the P6 (and esp my ex-Rev 2 which is really bad when it comes to osc/filter tone and is only impressive via modulation and layers which is 'meh' to me if the core tone is grating in a track) that as soon as I dialed in a sound on the OB-6.. there it was! Just like a good analog synthesizer should be, rich, inspirational, present, easy to dial in without 'concern' about shaping its tone to kingdom come TRYING to make it sound good (ala P6) or knowing it will always sound like a poor/flat/weak impression of analog (Rev2). It just works.

If you guys can't accept that, then by all means carry on with your selected gear, if you can't hear/feel the difference in these units I'd suggest you'd probably better off saving the cash and just buying a VA or even a soft synth, I doubt it would matter to you. To me it's 100% vital, If I'm spending money on hardware it had better deliver on a instinctive and gut/connection level, not in the head where you keep it around because its "clever" (rev2) or because it can occasionally do some nice things (P6), for me I want it to hit me in the face how awesome it sounds each time I make a new sound on it, even if it's a subtle, delicate sound you can barely hear in the mix, I will know and that has an effect on the quality of the music you put out too.

OB-6 is better at bass, leads, pads, filter sweeps, delicate pretty sounds, atmospheres (other than very clinical cold ones which Prophets excel at and have their place) and even the distortion on the OB-6 (hidden vs the Prophet 6) sounds much nicer when applied to the core tone of the OB vs the P6. It sounds pasted on and harsh with the P6, but with the OB-6 it sounds super-organic like its wrapped in and around the sound. I made hundreds of sounds on my ex-Prophet 6 and none of them compare to even the lower end of my 'best' OB-6 patches. For what Rev2 and P6 do I don't think you need all that expense and space, but the OB-6 is like nothing else, even while reminiscent of past stuff it exists as a unique one of Sequential/Obie hybrid that has its own unique sound character and even when I owned all these synths it was still the first one and best one for most tasks in a song. Reviewing takes later in productions it would always be the OB-6 that 'won' and stayed, sometimes the Prophet 6 for its specific cool 'dull but atmospheric' sound (another thing with P6 its too brassy and squeaky/stiff until you reduce the cut off and then it just sounds dull/muted... good for some things but it's not a 'fun' filter by any means.. and rev 2 is just dire there.. one tiny sweet spot the rest is like plastic)

I'm not alone in my findings of how vastly different musically these synths are and to many 'real' musicians who don't just collect synths and noodle all day, great tone is what comes first.. not features.. same with guitar recording, you don't just settle on a honkey sounding paper bag take of a cheap guitar when you can record something much richer... the OB-6 is that 'much richer' thing in the modern synth world. Nothing so far has touched it, not Modal, Not Moog, Not Korg, Not Roland and not even DSI's other offerings.

Last bonus points to OB-6 vs P6 and Rev2: It sits in the mix perfectly, very little work needed.. that's great workflow. Also it seems to make better use of the internal FX, somehow they just sound more beautiful and worthy when used with the OB-6 engine, like it was meant to be. They sound like band-aids on the Prophets but can be part of the sonic sculpture on the OB-6 without sounding cheap or stuck on!  8)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 11:27:03 PM by SynthHead »
Prophet 10 Rev 4 (Keyboard) | Trigon-6 (Keyboard) | OB-6 (Keyboard)

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2019, 10:31:16 AM »
...why would I force Rev 2 or Moog One into my tracks when I know I won't like 99% of the tonality and have to work hard with eq to filter stuff out I could have just avoided by using a synth that doesn't sound like **** in the first place?

To each his, or her own. But trying hard to make someone else agree with your opinion doesn't make it the only one to have. We can agree to disagree, and that doesn't make anyone's preferences better than the other. Much like analog synths in fact.

I happen to agree with you that my OB6 offers the type of sounds that I'm looking for, more than a Moog One. But I can also understand and accept, even if you can't, that some people will prefer the Moog One, or a REV2 over it, for several reasons. The most important one being: it's the type of machine that offers them what they're looking for, functionality wise and sound wise.

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2019, 09:03:36 PM »
...why would I force Rev 2 or Moog One into my tracks when I know I won't like 99% of the tonality and have to work hard with eq to filter stuff out I could have just avoided by using a synth that doesn't sound like **** in the first place?

To each his, or her own. But trying hard to make someone else agree with your opinion doesn't make it the only one to have. We can agree to disagree, and that doesn't make anyone's preferences better than the other. Much like analog synths in fact.

I happen to agree with you that my OB6 offers the type of sounds that I'm looking for, more than a Moog One. But I can also understand and accept, even if you can't, that some people will prefer the Moog One, or a REV2 over it, for several reasons. The most important one being: it's the type of machine that offers them what they're looking for, functionality wise and sound wise.

Well said.  And I'll just state my opinion that I like the P6, OB-6 and the Moog One and own all 3.  They each have their benefits and drawbacks.  I just use the right tool in the tool box for whatever I need.  Comparing synth sound quality is so subjective anyway.
Fantom 7 | Moog One | Pro3 | Summit | OB-X8 | Digitakt | Digitone | Syntakt | Iridium KB | 7u x 104hp Eurorack | H9000 | A&H SQ5 Mixer

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2019, 10:35:23 PM »
I got an OB-6 about a month ago and for me was bliss. Then I got a Moog One.
I’m sorry to disagree with all you guys don’t like Moog One but for me, it’s simply the ultimate analogue synth. I have a Voyager, Sirin, SH-101, Odyssey, Nord Lead 2,  the OB-6, and Moog One. I had a Prophet 08, Korg MS2000, Nord Lead 2X, Alesis Micron, SubPatty, Little Patty, x0xb0x, Future Retro Revolution, TB-03, JP-08, Juno 106... All I can say is the One is unique and there’s no synth that matches it... but the OB-6 is the only one I’d say I like as much as my One. I love my Voyager as well. For me, the trio One+OB-6+Voyager is the best combo. However, that’s my liking, the instruments I like the most and the ones I’m sure I’ll be using for years to come on my music. Some people might dislike any of those synths, but considering that musical instruments are actually INSTRUMENTS, and as such, tools to express your art, IMHO it’s pretty personal what tools are the most suitable to an artist to express her/himself. Again, for me, both the OB-6 and the One are superb and there’s no way I’d pick one over the other.

PS: I’m also expecting a Behringer VC340 I ordered. I’m pretty sure it’ll feel the strings/vocoder void I have in my studio. Adding that synth to my OB-6+Voyager+One trio, and and I’m pretty sure I won’t need any other synth ever for my music.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 10:44:57 PM by Surfermax »
DSI OB-6
Moog One
Moog Minimoog Voyager
Moog SirinMoog MF-104M
Moog MF-101
Roland SH-101
Karp Odyssey
Nord Rack 2
Behringer VC340 Vocoder
Novation Bass Station II
Roland TR-8S
Ableton Push 2
Moog MF-103
Moog Theremini

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2019, 10:02:16 AM »
Hello and welcome Surfermax.
I agree that the Moog One does offer a lot that some other synths don't. And if you feel satisfied with it, that's the mean thing. Enjoy your great synth combo !
I also have the VC-340 since about a month now, and I'm delighted with it also. It doesn't do a lot, but what it does it does very well. Much like the VP-330 did, some 40 years ago. It blends very well with my Minimoog D, Prophet REV2, OB6 and Deepmind 12.

PS: I’m also expecting a Behringer VC340 I ordered. I’m pretty sure it’ll feel the strings/vocoder void I have in my studio. Adding that synth to my OB-6+Voyager+One trio, and and I’m pretty sure I won’t need any other synth ever for my music.

Famous last words...  ;) ;D

blewis

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2019, 10:20:49 AM »
Looks like we’ve been gifted a visit from ToneKontrol/Pro5 from the sounds of it.  :-X