« on: December 08, 2018, 04:12:37 PM »
The Musical Synthesizer YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChLGwGiRVs7rlZXnOG9_mUw

The Musical Synthesizer Blog: https://themusicalsynthesizer.wordpress.co

Re: OB-6 and Moog One
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2018, 07:36:10 PM »
For what it's worth:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0u7_9YFncY

I think it speaks volumes about how good the OB-6 sounds against a synth many times it's price!  I actually like the resonance a bit better on the OB-6(seems to have a bit more body).  I'll stick with my OB-6 thank you, Dave and Tom really knocked it out of the park on this synth!

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2018, 08:28:55 PM »
After watching this, I'm now pretty much convinced that the OB6 sounds better than the One for my personal taste. The only thing left for me to be 100% sure would be to try out a Moog One for myself.
I'm a Moog and Oberheim man at heart, but this Moog One doesn't give me goosebumps like my Minimoog D and OB6 tandem can, so far.
It seems to be missing something. Much like the Voyager. In fact the One sounds a LOT like a polyphonic Voyager probably would. I had a Voyager Old School and quickly sold it when I was fortunate enough to get my hands on a Minimoog D.

Moog engineers seem to have done the same mistake as Bob Moog did with the Voyager years ago, when he wanted to update the Minimoog D; trying to come up with an updated and much improved Memorymoog but missing the target sound wise.

It's a testament to the great talents of Tom and Dave that the OB6 sounds so bloody great even next to an expensive beast like the One.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 08:31:02 PM by AlainHubert »
Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller), Prophet REV2-16, DeepMind 12

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2018, 10:05:27 PM »
Not sure what you're all gathering from this aside from the murder of Subdivisions. (Not to be snarky as I've had my share of whiffing on the Model D lead in my day. :P) I mean, he clearly stated he was trying to get the Moog One into Obie territory, which doesn't even scratch the surface of its potential. All I can say is I wish my OB-6 had all those bells and whistles.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 10:45:10 PM by Sleep of Reason »

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2018, 10:59:39 PM »
All I can say is I wish my OB-6 had all those bells and whistles.

For bells and whistles, I've got a Prophet REV2. Which is obviously not an OB6, but not that bad either. 

I know that this is the Sequential forum but, to be totally honest, I'm impatiently awaiting the Behringer UB-Xa enhanced clone... ;-)
Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller), Prophet REV2-16, DeepMind 12

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2019, 10:08:19 AM »
The OB6 sounds way better. The problem with the one is the oscillators are too tight and it does not work well, takes away the warmth and natural organic sound that Analog oscillators produce.

I think they can fix it with software, hopefully because right now it just has no body/warmth/soul to the sounds. Its a technically advanced synth with tons of features but it sounds dead in the sound department. I really hope a few months of work will fix this. I was actually excited about this instrument until I heard the sound.
Moog Modular Model 15,Korg Prophecy,Korg Z1,Nord Modular Keyboard,DSI OB6,DSI P12,Moog Minimoog D,SEM Modules,Moog Slim Phattys,etc..

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2019, 10:14:42 AM »
After watching this, I'm now pretty much convinced that the OB6 sounds better than the One for my personal taste. The only thing left for me to be 100% sure would be to try out a Moog One for myself.
I'm a Moog and Oberheim man at heart, but this Moog One doesn't give me goosebumps like my Minimoog D and OB6 tandem can, so far.
It seems to be missing something. Much like the Voyager. In fact the One sounds a LOT like a polyphonic Voyager probably would. I had a Voyager Old School and quickly sold it when I was fortunate enough to get my hands on a Minimoog D.

Moog engineers seem to have done the same mistake as Bob Moog did with the Voyager years ago, when he wanted to update the Minimoog D; trying to come up with an updated and much improved Memorymoog but missing the target sound wise.

It's a testament to the great talents of Tom and Dave that the OB6 sounds so bloody great even next to an expensive beast like the One.

I think sometimes featuritis gets involved tons of complex engineering a jack of all trades, everything including the kitchen sink product is produced but thr one thing everyone forgot in the race for more features and power is the basic sound.

I am a big Moog fan myself and I am so disappointed with the Moog one, I was planning to purchase one but not anymore.
Moog Modular Model 15,Korg Prophecy,Korg Z1,Nord Modular Keyboard,DSI OB6,DSI P12,Moog Minimoog D,SEM Modules,Moog Slim Phattys,etc..

Shaw

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2019, 10:15:22 AM »
I was actually excited about this instrument until I heard the sound.
I can certainly agree with that sentiment.  As soon as I heard the One, I thought: Iíd rather get a second OB-6 (module) and have that sound... Iím just waiting to see if Dave/Sequentialís next Instrument is a expansion on the OB... fingers crossed.
Prophet X  |  Prophet 12  |  OB-6
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rockīn roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2019, 05:10:08 PM »

[/quote]
 Iím just waiting to see if Dave/Sequentialís next Instrument is a expansion on the OB... fingers crossed.
[/quote]
I wish that too, like 8 voices three lfos and a (tiny) LCD to keep track of the patches' names and parameters' values, but I'm afraid it won't happen, so I might as well end up getting a Ob-6 module as a second unit.
Man, I just love this synth!!