Copyright Restrictions

Copyright Restrictions
« on: December 03, 2018, 04:29:21 PM »
I just spent $4,000 on a synthesizer that I don't fully own. There are watermarks in the samples, I can't record the samples into another VSTi instrument! I can't delete or hide these samples so I won't be tempted to use them. I have to worry about how my recordings will be used. This is not acceptable. I have 50 gigs for my own samples but honestly, I need all the space for stuff I actually own!

Re: Copyright Restrictions
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2018, 04:32:23 PM »
You can't record the samples and resell them as a sample pack. There are no restrictions on using the factory samples to make your own patch, and then using that patch to make music you sell.
SEQUENTIAL

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 09:57:36 AM »
That's what I imagined BUT with all due respect, you are wrong. The ULA is very clear about this. I don't want to sell a sample library, I MAY want to make one for a friend in a project we are both working on and I definitely want to re-record these samples into other software and hardware which is expressly forbidden. I refer you to the ULA from the manual.

LICENSE AGREEMENT By purchasing Sequential Prophet X, you accept the following product license agreement with respect to the “Samples by 8Dio” sample elements thereof and/or incorporated therein (“Samples”):
1. License Grant: The Samples in Sequential Prophet X are licensed, but not sold, to you by 8Dio, Inc. for commer- cial and non-commercial use in music, sound-effect, audio/video post-production, performance, broadcast or similar finished content-creation and production use. 8Dio allows you to use any of the Samples for commercial recordings without paying any additional license fees or providing source attribution to 8Dio, Inc.
This license expressly forbids any inclusion of the Samples into any other hardware device or in any virtual instrument or library of any kind, without our express written consent. This license forbids any re-distribution method of any of the Samples by means of re-sampling, mixing, processing, isolating, or embedding into software or hardware of any kind, for the purpose of re-recording or reproduction as part of any free or commercial library of musical and/or sound effect samples and/or articulations, or any form of musical sample or sound effect sample playback system or device or on a stand-alone basis.
2. Rights/Watermarking Policy: The Samples, including accompanying documentation, are protected by copyright laws and inter- national copyright treaties, as well as other intellectual property laws and treaties. 8Dio retains full copyright privileges and complete ownership of all recorded sounds, instrument programming, docu- mentation and musical performances included in Sequential Prophet X. Any rights not specifically granted herein are reserved by 8Dio.
Any unauthorized use, distribution or reproduction of the Samples shall not be permitted, shall con- stitute a violation of law, and shall entitle 8Dio to, in addition to any other remedy at law or equity, injunctive relief. It is unlawful to deliberately circumvent, alter or delete technological measures of protection and information provided by 8Dio which identifies the products, its owner and the terms and conditions for its use. Please note that the Samples may be imbedded with a digital watermark. If the product ends up in other people’s music, you will be held legally responsible, so we ask you to not to violate the terms of this license agreement. You further agree to take all reasonable steps to protect this product from unauthorized copying or use.

You can't record the samples and resell them as a sample pack. There are no restrictions on using the factory samples to make your own patch, and then using that patch to make music you sell.

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2018, 11:21:01 AM »
I get that you are concerned. I'm not a lawyer, but as a Sequential employee I'm telling you that the license agreement is there to say, "you can't isolate the individual samples, record them, make a Kontakt instrument and sell it as your own work." Use of any sounds that come out of the instrument in commercial work is not restricted. This is 8DIO's boiler plate license agreement that they use with all the sample libraries they sell. There are many people out there using 8DIO's libraries in commercial work.

Fear not!
SEQUENTIAL

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2018, 01:54:08 PM »
I get that you are concerned. I'm not a lawyer, but as a Sequential employee I'm telling you that the license agreement is there to say, "you can't isolate the individual samples, record them, make a Kontakt instrument and sell it as your own work." Use of any sounds that come out of the instrument in commercial work is not restricted. This is 8DIO's boiler plate license agreement that they use with all the sample libraries they sell. There are many people out there using 8DIO's libraries in commercial work.

Fear not!

But that is not what it says and furthermore, it says there may be watermarks. Are there watermarks or not? That seems like a dickish move. Man up; are there or are there not watermarks?

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2018, 02:04:34 PM »
This is a non-issue. Period. You're free to use anything that comes out of the synth in commercial releases, as long as you're not trying to sell sample packs. If you require further information about the samples specifically, please contact 8Dio directly.
SEQUENTIAL | OBERHEIM