Voice limitation

iJean

Voice limitation
« on: November 27, 2018, 02:06:21 PM »
Hello!

Is it possible to limit the voices in poly mode? So the synth is using just 6 voices instead of 16/8?

Re: Voice limitation
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 02:14:02 PM »
Not that I know of but you can limit it to 8 by using 2 layers and turning the volume all the way down on one layer.

iJean

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2018, 10:38:20 PM »
It would made glide more usefull. Using glide with 16 voice is almost impossible to play (even 8 voice is hard).
Maybe in some later OS this feature could be added. It is probably just a software thing.

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2018, 11:02:03 PM »
Just thinking out loud: to me glide is associated to mono. May be you can duplicate your program, split keyboard and make one of them mono? Glide will be more predictable.

iJean

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2018, 11:36:06 PM »
If jou have for instance just 3 voices, add glide and play the arpeggiated notes (low-high), you will get glided chords. Every chord tone will be played by the same voice, so you will get really nice glide. Lowest note will always be played by the same voice.

I don’t know if you can see this video:
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 11:38:46 PM by iJean »

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2018, 07:16:48 AM »
I've always found the glide on polysynths to be "dumb" in polyphonic mode. Instead of gliding all notes of chords played in succession towards the same direction, it glides each voice according to their last note. And since voices are "recycled" for each new note played according to their availability, the result is a quasi random glide direction for each voice, which is NOT the way a glide should work.

There should be a polyphonic mode where voices are assigned fixed notes (especially with a 16 voice synth), so that when the glide function is engaged all notes of played chords would glides towards the same direction, from one chord to the other.

The REV2 is not the only synth to have this "polyphonic glide problem". Most others do. And it renders the glide unusable for me in polyphonic mode, because it always results in that "THX introduction effect" which is not what I want or need.

Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

iJean

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2018, 10:00:02 AM »
If you use stack A+B and turn down B volume you get 8 voices. Then you must play 8 voices arpeggiated all in the same direction. It is hard to play 8 voice chords (they become to powerfull).
So if you play 3 voice chords arpeggiated from low to high you wont get that beautifull glide.
If you play C E G, you are using voices first three voices. If you than play D, F, A, than you are using voices 4-6. For successful glide you must use the same voices.

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2018, 10:39:21 AM »
The video demo was very interesting, it's sound so smooth like Hawaiian style slide guitar.

Here's a way to get close on the Rev2.

Use layer mode, but set layer B volume to 0.  This will give you 8 voice restriction.

Notice the example in the video where using 5 voice chords isn't smooth, due to the one voice retriggering.  So the key here is to use up all 8 voices.

For smooth 3 voice glide chords in the right hand, simply use 5 note held chords in the left hand.

I suggest using 7th chords, with 2 of the notes doubled an octave.  Like A C E G A.

Also sus2 and 6ths would work.  GL!
Moog One <> Prophet Rev2 16V <>  Andromeda <> Kronos 61 <> Nord Stage 2 HA76 <> Integra 7 <> Minilogue XD module <> Blofeld desktop <> Behringer Model D <> Minitaur <> Slim Phatty <> Matrix 1000 <> Micron <> Privia PX-5S <>  MODX7 <> TG77 <> ASM Hydrasynth <> Perform VE <> FCB1010

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2018, 10:44:26 AM »
A very common feature request is polyphonic unison.

If the Rev2 were able to set 2 voice unison to a layer in polyphonic mode, that layer would have only 4 voices to trigger.

Then you could get that Hawaiian style poly glide triads, with a bass drone.
Moog One <> Prophet Rev2 16V <>  Andromeda <> Kronos 61 <> Nord Stage 2 HA76 <> Integra 7 <> Minilogue XD module <> Blofeld desktop <> Behringer Model D <> Minitaur <> Slim Phatty <> Matrix 1000 <> Micron <> Privia PX-5S <>  MODX7 <> TG77 <> ASM Hydrasynth <> Perform VE <> FCB1010