OB-6 washed-out sound in one of the first Desktop units?

OB-6 washed-out sound in one of the first Desktop units?
« on: November 27, 2018, 09:38:33 AM »
Hi all,

The other day I took a big step and ordered my first-ever hardware synth – the OB-6 Desktop!

However, once I received the product from the retailer, I was a bit disheartened. First of all, I was displeasingly surprised to see that it was a previously used unit. It had dust, hair, smudges on it and some of the displays were scratchy. The manual and plastic bags were in bad shape. Two of the displays were even poorly put together with a gap between the glass and the case.

It turns out that this unit was one of the very first OB-6 Desktops to be manufactured, judging from the low serial number (<0005). Strangely, the retailer could not explain why the unit shows signs of wear. They say that they have no record of it ever being sold and returned, so it's a mystery (according to them).

The retailer offered a quite small discount because of this, which I have not yet accepted as I'm evaluating the condition of the synth.

It seems to work alright, but when comparing the factory patches to this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhB_q5B6eOs

I find that the sounds in that video are (a) "punchier", (b) more "full", and perhaps importantly (c) more "musically" sounding. Mine sounds more washed-out in the mid-frequencies and not as melodically "acute". It has interesting sounds, but I don't feel that they are as musically on point as they should.

I have read that Youtube applies compression to their videos, so that could perhaps explain a little of the difference, especially if it's quite heavy compression which creates punchiness. Furthermore, all analog units are different and one can't find two that sounds exactly the same. But I still feel that something is "missing" compared to various demo videos I've seen of people playing on Youtube.

I'm therefore wondering if you feel that the video above is an accurate-sounding (even worse-sounding?) reflection of what you hear in your units?

NB: I have calibrated my unit, multiple times, just to be sure.

Because of the low serial number of this unit, and it's very suspicious used condition from the retailer, I feel that I need to be cautious about this. I would really appreciate any advice on how I should proceed. Again, this is my first hardware instrument (both analog and digital), so I'm somewhat lacking in experience. Thanks very much!
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 09:42:12 AM by tk03i »

Re: OB-6 washed-out sound in one of the first Desktop units?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 10:22:31 AM »
I would return it, no way would I pay new prices for used equipment regardless of the serial number.

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2018, 10:39:09 AM »
I would return it also, and ask for a full refund. And never do business with that shady retailer again.

Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2018, 10:42:42 AM »
Thanks for the advice. Full disclosure, when applying the discount they're offering me, the price would be 2240 USD including 25% VAT. In my country (Sweden), that's about the same price as a unit on the used market. The only benefit as I see it, would be the 1 year manufacturer warranty and 3 years customer warranty (based on law). But I'm still hesitant. What do you think of the price?

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2018, 11:09:04 AM »
If you wanted a new instrument and were expecting a new instrument, but received a used one at a good price, there's still an injustice.  I would return it with a vengeance.

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2018, 12:00:10 PM »
Scratchy display alone would have me returning something I paid that much for, discount or not.

dslsynth

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2018, 02:58:04 PM »
To me it sounds like this seller may not be saying the truth. Web shops will always have returned products that they have to sell again as they cannot return them to the manufacturer. But it seems like you got a "oh he discovered it" type of response. Consider that a proof of not being able to trust this seller.

If you decide to keep the unit be sure to contact Sequential's support channel with a detailed state of the unit to see how much they can help you with getting your unit in "as new" working order. That may cost some extra money though. But ask them!

Also, never worry about repairs for Sequential products as long as the product is not in a completely mangled state. They got a very fine and quite reasonably priced repair service. Its something paying for shipping to Sequential and $25 for each board being repaired.
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2018, 03:30:50 PM »
Thank you everyone for your advice. I asked for opinions across multiple avenues and everyone has unanimously recommended to return it, which I will. It was my immediate feeling as well when discovering they sold me a used product "as new". It just didn't feel right, even at a discounted price. I'm looking forward to paying up a little extra sometime in the future to get the real thing.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 03:33:41 PM by tk03i »

dslsynth

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2018, 03:34:02 PM »
You made the right decision, tk03i!
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature