iPad editor

maxter

iPad editor
« on: November 23, 2018, 12:37:02 PM »
Alright, here's the iPad editor template for Rev2 that I've made. It requires the app TB Midi Stuff, which is 4-5$ or so on the app store.

Everything except the Global parameters should be working fine, if you come across anything strange please let me know! Some time ago I was working on the Globals, so a few are available in Panel 4(?) I think, I never got too far though, but if anyone is feeling up for it please feel free to...!  :)

Btw, the app developer also made a synth app called iTuttle, which is now free I think. It's actually pretty good, and from what I've heard he was also involved in developing the Model D and Model 15 apps for Moog.
The Way the Truth and the Life

maxter

Re: iPad editor
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2018, 01:16:31 PM »
The TBMS file is a "canvas snapshot", which I find is the best way to save your "patches" on the iPad. To save you press the MAGNIFIER in the top left corner, then press the "i" next to the patch name, name the patch, categorize it, and SAVE. The main difference and advantage of saving as canvas snapshots with it, is that it then remembers all of the set parameter values for each control, which it does not do automatically when just saving as a "page".

And here are the updated screenshots!

maxter

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 02:57:35 AM »
A few notes:

Set the midi in and out for the app or the Rev2 page to whatever interface you’re using. Remember to set the midi channel to the same as the Rev2.

The page selector is to the right of the volume sliders.

Remember to set knob mode and slider mode in TBMS app settings to your liking, there’s horizontal, vertical, absolute and relative modes. Important for an optimal experience with TBMS.

To fine tune a parameter, double-tap it and you will find a jog wheel and increment/decrement 1 and 10 buttons. This is nice, especially for editing sequencers.

At the sequencer page, there is a ”#” box, where you can see the numbers and notes equivalent of the sequencers’ knobs, as a quick reference.

Personally, I mostly use the Mod Matrix page and the Sequencer page in TBMS. The Main page I mostly edit on the Rev2, but it can be good for a quick overview of where the parameters are at, as TBMS records what is edited on the Rev2. I find it convenient to set up modulations for the Matrix in TBMS, and it gives a nice overview of the routings I’ve previously set up.

And again, REMEMBER to tap the magnifyer and save your patches on TBMS as ”canvas snapshots”, NOT as pages, to save all the parameter settings.

Mauro

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2020, 06:40:27 AM »
A few notes:

Set the midi in and out for the app or the Rev2 page to whatever interface you’re using. Remember to set the midi channel to the same as the Rev2.

The page selector is to the right of the volume sliders.

Remember to set knob mode and slider mode in TBMS app settings to your liking, there’s horizontal, vertical, absolute and relative modes. Important for an optimal experience with TBMS.

To fine tune a parameter, double-tap it and you will find a jog wheel and increment/decrement 1 and 10 buttons. This is nice, especially for editing sequencers.

At the sequencer page, there is a ”#” box, where you can see the numbers and notes equivalent of the sequencers’ knobs, as a quick reference.

Personally, I mostly use the Mod Matrix page and the Sequencer page in TBMS. The Main page I mostly edit on the Rev2, but it can be good for a quick overview of where the parameters are at, as TBMS records what is edited on the Rev2. I find it convenient to set up modulations for the Matrix in TBMS, and it gives a nice overview of the routings I’ve previously set up.

And again, REMEMBER to tap the magnifyer and save your patches on TBMS as ”canvas snapshots”, NOT as pages, to save all the parameter settings.

It’s possible to connect the iPad ti the rev2 wireless via computer or do I need a phisical interface?

maxter

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2020, 11:45:48 AM »
Possible with rtpMIDI if you use Windows, or if using Mac it's already built-in. It's the "network midi" ports you can find as connections in various apps' settings on your iPad. You still have to connect your PC/Mac to the Rev2 of course.

https://www.tobias-erichsen.de/software/rtpmidi.html

maxter

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2020, 02:22:03 AM »
Here's the latest update to the Rev2 template for TBMS, with a couple of bug fixes.

Please let me know if you find any other bugs or problems!

maxter

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2021, 05:41:47 AM »
Thanks for the feedback, Audiosynth!

I'm glad you got it sorted out. While far from being perfect, I find it quite handy when setting up complex modulations in the mod matrix, LFOs, Env3 and sequencers, to keep track of everything, the sources and destinations, all available on page 2.

There are some limitations however. It's not possible to make it work with patch dumps from the Rev2 for one... and you'll probably have to use it a couple of times to get the hang of it, it's not THE most user friendly app in that sense. Also, every patch saved as a "canvas snapshot" takes up about 1MB each, but it's the easiest way to have all the parameters stored when saving. There's another way saving as a page instead, but that requires several more steps to be made each time. Ease of use got the overhand, as it's still not completely straight-forward for new users.

While patch dumping doesn't work, it should be able to send the patch from TBMS to the Rev2 by clicking "send all parameters", but AT THE MOMENT I can't guarantee a good result. Because there are some global parameter knobs "hidden away" in "Panel 4", which I haven't got around to finish. So, there's a chance that it will change some global parameters on the Rev2. Which could cause confusion. I'll clean that up shortly by simply removing all the global parameters for now. Stay tuned for an update.

Perhaps I'll get around to finish the global page eventually...

maxter

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2021, 06:00:22 AM »
All hidden global parameters removed, so the "send all parameters" should work without hassle now, with this update.

maxter

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2021, 10:29:51 AM »
Nothing major in this update. Mostly some minor tweaks, made some buttons a little bigger, fixed the color scheme a little, and made a new page select slider with proper page names on it, to make it easier to locate for new users.

Added button "Send all to Rev2", which sends all parameters as NRPN's to the Rev2. This should work so that you don't necessarily have to save the patch on the Rev2 itself (although I highly recommend it). Beside it another button "random" which randomizes nearly all available parameters...

Also added a unified MIDI channel pick box. This sets both the TBMS-Rev2 pages MIDI in and out, and also the Rev2 MIDI channel. I omitted the "All" or omni mode, if you want that behavior you'll have to set it on the Rev2.

I think I've mentioned it at some point already, but a note to new users: remember to set your Rev2 to NRPN mode instead of CC, for the editor to work. Also, first thing, learn how to save your canvas snapshot. You'll have to save each patch as separate canvas snapshots. So, if you like working from an Init patch, don't overwrite that snapshot. You can make your own different "templates" as your own preferred starting point for programming sounds.

Another note, while TBMS works bidirectionally, meaning it "picks up" the changes you make on your Rev2 through NRPNs, it can't handle a sysex patch dump from the Rev2. SO... you can "send all" (ie the entire patch) from TBMS > Rev2, but you CAN'T do the same from Rev2 > TBMS.

Likely the last update for now. But please do report any problems or bugs you encounter, on this thread! Some Rev2 OS updates have restructured the way certain NRPNs are handled for instance, I don't think the latest one does, but if you something seems off, let me know!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 10:38:54 AM by maxter »

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2021, 10:49:58 AM »
Only for the middle lane (layer volume) this would already be worth trying! Thanks for the great effort, I'll see whether I can find an iPad somewhere.

maxter

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2021, 12:06:59 PM »
Yeah, the main reason for it was to lessen the menu-diving, and have those parameters more readily available. Also to have a visual representation of the mod matrix and the other routings. The same for the sequencers, and the ability to change their Trigger mode on the fly. Perhaps I should've gone with a pick-list for Trig though, as to not have to step through them to reach the desired mode. Not much space left though, it's pretty crammed...

Any old iPad2 or newer model will do, quite cheap these days if you can find one.

Pics of the new look below.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 12:15:11 PM by maxter »

maxter

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2022, 10:07:42 AM »
Something quite odd has happened... if you already have the Rev2 editor saved in TBMS, you're ok. But for any new users who try to import the old version, you probably won't be able to, as there's some new "error" occurring, saying the file isn't proper. I haven't updated my old iPads in years, and the TBMS app hasn't been updated in years either. But for some reason, editor templates exported earlier, are no longer possible to import... upon re-exporting, I found that there's some added data on the later one, even though it's the exact same page with nothing changed. I attach a newly exported version to this post, which should work.

So... While I was at it, I made some minor changes to the editor, mostly the color coding. I replaced the "random" button with an "init" button instead. This initializes the controls to mirror the Rev2 init patch, with one difference, "Key mode" is set to "last" rather than "low". If you still want to randomize controls, you can click on the page name at the top "Rev2" to find it. There you also find the option to "Set current values to default values" which overwrites the "Init"-button with your new preferred template settings, for recalling with said button.

Again, remember to save the page as a "Canvas snapshot" rather than as a "page", to store and recall any changes you've made to a patch.

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2024, 10:30:25 AM »
As an avid music enthusiast and creator, I'm thrilled to share with you my latest creation: an iPad editor template for the Rev2 synthesizer! Utilizing the powerful capabilities of TB Midi Stuff, this template offers seamless control over the Rev2's parameters right from your iPad.

I've poured countless hours into perfecting this template, ensuring that everything from patch selection to parameter adjustments works flawlessly. However, I must note that while the majority of features are fully functional, there may be a few quirks with the Global parameters. I've made some progress on them, but they're still a work in progress. For more information must visit: https://picsartapk.net/