no sound coming from a few of my patches?

no sound coming from a few of my patches?
« on: November 21, 2018, 05:34:46 PM »

Greetings - I just bought a used PEK.

2 issues.

Some patches don't produce sounds; and the display screen seems dim to me.

I've updated the OS / voice / DSP.  I just uploaded the 'current' soundbanks.

Some of the patches don't create sound; for example,
B1 02, which is 'Nice Pattern'
B1 14, 'Supermods'
B2 09, 'KineticBassGroov'
B2 13 'Ouverture'

and a bunch more.

I tried reloading the patch program, several times, at different speeds (I used midi-ox).  No change.

Prior to updating the OS / programs, some of the patches were silent as well.  Before updating, though, different patch numbers were silent; before updating B1 03 was silent.  Now it's not.

What do you think?

Also, this is the first PEK I've seen / played.  It seems to me that the display screen is somewhat dim.  I've got the contrast at about 17, it looks sharp....just not a lot of 'oomph' to the brightness.  Is that typical?

thanks for your comments -

Ricardo
p.s. some of the encoders are jumpy.  Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 06:26:26 PM by Sir_Ricardo »

Sacred Synthesis

Re: no sound coming from a few of my patches?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2018, 06:42:29 PM »
My Poly Evolver Rack screen is quite dim, too, and it works fine.  I wouldn't worry about it.  As for the other issues, on the silent patches, are they entirely silent?  Can you hear any voices at all.  In Global, make sure poly chain is set to off.  Also, have you listened through head phones?

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2018, 06:49:18 PM »
My Poly Evolver Rack screen is quite dim, too, and it works fine.  I wouldn't worry about it.  As for the other issues, on the silent patches, are they entirely silent?  Can you hear any voices at all.  In Global, make sure poly chain is set to off.  Also, have you listened through head phones?

Greetings - and thanks for the reply.  Zero sound.  Poly chain is off.  No output via headphones or main outs.

I just noticed that ALL patches that activate the "start / stop" button-light in the sequencer section have no sound.

In other words, if you select a patch that lights up the "start / stop" button in the sequencer section, you will get zero sound.

What do you make of that?

thanks!

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2018, 08:41:57 PM »
The jumpy encoders were a serious problem in the earlier Evolvers/Prophet '08's.  They can be updated with potentiometers, which stops the erratic behavior.  Otherwise, if the problems still persist (and you've experimented with disconnecting all MIDI cables), I'd contact Sequential directly.

Phone: (415) 830-6393 x1
Fax (707) 286-5501
email: support@sequential.com

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2018, 08:53:38 PM »
The jumpy encoders were a serious problem in the earlier Evolvers/Prophet '08's.  They can be updated with potentiometers, which stops the erratic behavior.  Otherwise, if the problems still persist (and you've experimented with disconnecting all MIDI cables), I'd contact Sequential directly.

Phone: (415) 830-6393 x1
Fax (707) 286-5501
email: support@sequential.com

Yes, good call. 

Regarding the zero sound from any patch that activates the 'start/stop' button in the sequencer section, any thoughts?

thanks!

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2018, 09:12:45 PM »
Most of the times that someone has this sort of problem, it's due to a connection problem - either a MIDI loop or even using the wrong output jacks. 

If you're in bank 2 on program 2, does the voice light flash?  When you press a note, does an additional voice light appear?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 09:49:17 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2018, 10:07:00 PM »
Most of the times that someone has this sort of problem, it's due to a connection problem - either a MIDI loop or even using the wrong output jacks. 

If you're in bank 2 on program 2, does the voice light flash?  When you press a note, does an additional voice light appear?

If I am in any patch where the 'start/stop' sequencer button is lit, no voices light up.

Bank 2 program 2 does light up the voices; however, that's not one of the silent patches.  It's a 'good' patch.

So......no voice lights light up when a patch is called up that activates the 'start/stop' button.

What do you think?

thanks!

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2018, 10:24:40 PM »
Did the instrument work before you did the OS update?  If so, then perhaps something went wrong with the updating.  It just sounds as if the programs are not quite there.

Have you tried designing your own sounds?  On a program that doesn't work, can you increase the volumes of the oscillators and open the filter so that a sound is audible?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 10:27:26 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2018, 04:27:34 PM »
If sequenced programs have no sound, it's likely the clock is set to external, and the PEK is waiting for a clock signal. Check that clock is set Internal in the Global menu.
SEQUENTIAL | OBERHEIM

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2018, 04:37:08 PM »
If sequenced programs have no sound, it's likely the clock is set to external, and the PEK is waiting for a clock signal. Check that clock is set Internal in the Global menu.

Thank you!  That took care of it!

Muchas gracias to all who helped me out here.......